Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for your efforts in advance limynard.
i finally figured out how to put multiple templates on my computer screen. Then saving the whole screen as a "layout."

lol.

but still dont know how to use that for evodroid7.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, here are a couple of templates.

800x480_Black1 is the one I use
800x480_GTR is the one johnnyjeans requested.

You will need to put all files in the evoscan\gaugetemplates directory on the evodroid.

You will also need to extract the gauge parts zip file into evoscan\gaugetemplates\gaugeparts directory

If you have PPCGaugeDesigner.exe in the evoscan directory on the EvoDroid then you will be able to edit the log reference (so it shows the right data)

There is one issue at present. That is you cannot switch between templates using the buttons as it throws an error 'RuntimeException: Can't create handler inside thread that has not called Looper.prepare()'

To get around this, you need to rename the 800x480_Carbon1.txt to 800x480_Carbon1(original).txt and then rename the template that you want to use to 800x480_Carbon1.txt.

It should then work...

Hamish, any chance you can fix the java?
Attached Thumbnails New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review-800x480_gtr.png   New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review-800x480_black1.png  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
800x480_GTR.txt (3.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: txt
800x480_Black1.txt (1.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip
gauge parts.zip (18.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by limaynard

You will need to put all files in the evoscan\gaugetemplates directory on the evodroid.

You will also need to extract the gauge parts zip file into evoscan\gaugetemplates\gaugeparts directory

If you have PPCGaugeDesigner.exe in the evoscan directory on the EvoDroid then you will be able to edit the log reference (so it shows the right data)

There is one issue at present. That is you cannot switch between templates using the buttons as it throws an error 'RuntimeException: Can't create handler inside thread that has not called Looper.prepare()'

To get around this, you need to rename the 800x480_Carbon1.txt to 800x480_Carbon1(original).txt and then rename the template that you want to use to 800x480_Carbon1.txt.

It should then work...

Use this 800x480_Black1.png
Attached Thumbnails New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review-800x480_black1.png  
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

You're awesome limaynard,

so i've tried what you said. But i'd get these errors. not sure why.

This is the folder on the evodroid. I opened it with PPCGaugeDesigner from inside the evoscan evodroid folder.

Attempt 1. Error 1.

Attempt 2. Error 2.
By copying the files you made onto my desktop, then changing the extension to .png (to mimic the working "carbon1" files hoping that's what it needed.)

And here shows that I have put the zipped files in the Gauge Parts folder

sigh...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
1 or 2 people appear to not have the Android USB drivers install on their older PCs... as far as I know Windows8 has it installed by default. if you want to plug in your mini usb cable to your PC to transfer files.. then you can do the following:

a) install https://dl-ssl.google.com//android/r...er_windows.zip
b) plug in the usb cable
c) click the bottom right corner on the android in the main screen, it says "connect to pc and transfer files" or something similiar.
d) look in file explorer on the PC you will see some new drive letters.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Sponsor

Thanks, that is very interesting as i do not have them in the items to log list (I have looked over and over again)

Hamish, can you please send me the link to reinstall the software?
email me, and I will attach it to the email. and I'll send you a screenshot.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Sponsor

It should then work...

oh yeah.. ok I'll make an update for that as topmost priority.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, interesting. Try what Hamish said re correct deivers.

On my PC the evodroid shows as EVODROID not removable disk.

Did you have to connect the usb on the tablet? If you click on the tablet bottom right corner it should say 'usb connected' or something like that and then when you click on that it has a button saying 'turn on usb mass storage'

This will then allow you to browse to the evodroid evoscan directory where you place the gauge designer. then browse to gaugetemplates and drop in the templates, then gaugeparts and extract the gauge parts.

From your pc you will need to run the ppcgaugedesigner.exe that is on the evodroid.

If you create a directory structure on your pc with the same subfolders and with the same files in then you should be able to open them up for modification using ppcgaugedesigner but you will still need to putbthem on evodroid for it to work.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, interesting. Try what Hamish said re correct deivers.

On my PC the evodroid shows as EVODROID not removable disk.

Did you have to connect the usb on the tablet? If you click on the tablet bottom right corner it should say 'usb connected' or something like that and then when you click on that it has a button saying 'turn on usb mass storage'

This will then allow you to browse to the evodroid evoscan directory where you place the gauge designer. then browse to gaugetemplates and drop in the templates, then gaugeparts and extract the gauge parts.

From your pc you will need to run the ppcgaugedesigner.exe that is on the evodroid.

If you create a directory structure on your pc with the same subfolders and with the same files in then you should be able to open them up for modification using ppcgaugedesigner but you will still need to putbthem on evodroid for it to work.

i've put the txt and zip files in the folders following your directions.

i've done this to both my samsung s2 phone and on the tablet.
same error showing.

HOWEVER, when I change the "carbon" name to "carbon(original)" it shows up but does not allow me to switch back and forth to the original templates.

"removable disk" is where evodroid evoscan resides on my samsung s2. And it runs the original templates fine and rpm/speed everything works.

"NUCLEAR" is where evodroid evoscan resides on my tablet.

I've tested both ways. Both ways works and also produces the same errors.

sigh. im (two fingers) close to selling this thing and get me an AEM failsafe and go boeing 747 pilot cockpit with 10,000 gauges in my face.

hamish. please come out with the gauge designer asap.
thanks for all the hardwork so far.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So again has anyone gotten this thing to work without wifi for GPS?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
So again has anyone gotten this thing to work without wifi for GPS?

Yes, I had it working from day 1 with GPS and no WIFI. It worked out of the box as long as the satellites were enabled in location services.

It doesn't work now as I fried it (and the cable) on Friday

Now porting all of the stuff to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (converting to 1024x600) while my new 1.3DA cable gets shipped.

Hamish, I still need the Evoscan2.APK emailed to me please.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnnnyjeans
i've put the txt and zip files in the folders following your directions.

i've done this to both my samsung s2 phone and on the tablet.
same error showing.

HOWEVER, when I change the "carbon" name to "carbon(original)" it shows up but does not allow me to switch back and forth to the original templates.

"removable disk" is where evodroid evoscan resides on my samsung s2. And it runs the original templates fine and rpm/speed everything works.

"NUCLEAR" is where evodroid evoscan resides on my tablet.

I've tested both ways. Both ways works and also produces the same errors.

sigh. im (two fingers) close to selling this thing and get me an AEM failsafe and go boeing 747 pilot cockpit with 10,000 gauges in my face.

hamish. please come out with the gauge designer asap.
thanks for all the hardwork so far.
Let me write some detailed instructions for you.

The gauge designer works fine. My recommendation is to run it on you PC / Laptop, make the files and then just copy them to the evodroid. This works fine as a workaround.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, here goes:

How to use PPCDesigner to make Evodroid Gauges - without having to be coonected to the evodroid (or any tablet if it comes to that)

1. In my documents create a directory structure:

MyDocuments\Evodroid\GaugeTemplates\GaugeParts

2. Copy PPCGaugeDesigner to MyDocuments\Evodroid
3. Copy the gauge definition files (*.txt) to the GaugeTemplates directory
4. Copy the gauge background files (*.png) to the GaugeTemplates directory
5. Copy all of the gauge parts to the GaugeParts directory

You are now ready to start modifying / creating gauges.

6. Run PPCGaugeDesigner and open one of the templates that appears in the left panel

7. When finished, copy the modifieid files to the corresponding directory on the Evodroid. At present, the only gauge that can be displayed is 'Carbon1' so if you want to use another gauge then rename it to 'Carbon1'
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, here goes:

How to use PPCDesigner to make Evodroid Gauges - without having to be coonected to the evodroid (or any tablet if it comes to that)

1. In my documents create a directory structure:

MyDocuments\Evodroid\GaugeTemplates\GaugeParts

2. Copy PPCGaugeDesigner to MyDocuments\Evodroid
3. Copy the gauge definition files (*.txt) to the GaugeTemplates directory
4. Copy the gauge background files (*.png) to the GaugeTemplates directory
5. Copy all of the gauge parts to the GaugeParts directory

You are now ready to start modifying / creating gauges.

6. Run PPCGaugeDesigner and open one of the templates that appears in the left panel

7. When finished, copy the modifieid files to the corresponding directory on the Evodroid. At present, the only gauge that can be displayed is 'Carbon1' so if you want to use another gauge then rename it to 'Carbon1'
It's too bad GaugeDesigner didn't come with Evodroid.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want one. Pm me with price

Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review