Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

AMS tests the New Forced Performance HTA37R!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel and timing were kept within in the same limits on both turbos.

Trust us, we wanted the HTA37R to show more power... it would of been great for our customers to slap on another T3 flanged turbo and make a bunch more power.

This is using the same .63 A/R 5 bolt hotside that we use on our 37R. But before anyone makes an assumption keep in mind the .63 PTE 5 bolt housing is nothing like a Garrett .63 housing. The PTE .63 actually flows closer to a Garrett .82 but with better spool.

Thats the nice thing about this test is that nothing else was changed with the exception of the HTA modifications to the compressor side.

Sorry if I have come off a little brash in this thread, that was not my intention at all. We just want to make sure nobody thinks we have some hidden agenda. We tested this turbo so our big boost 37R customers could have a bolt on turbo to make more power..... This is just how the test turned out.

Eric
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by version 2 beta
OHHH!!! these results are going to hurt allot of people's feelings...

good job with the info AMS!

hurt my feelings... might back down to my regular 37R kit i have now.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
hurt my feelings... might back down to my regular 37R kit i have now.
Hey that old turbo of mine did awesome in my heavy car You gonna hurt my feelings
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
One thing has to be kept in mind. THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION, I REPEAT, NOT A REFLECTION IN ANY WAY on ANY VENDOR....PERIOD. This AMS 37R test and previous tests on the HTA35R were by different tuners using different methods and parameters to achieve their results. This HAS to be considered when trying to arrive at final POTENTIAL whp levels of this turbo. Most tuners could arrive at higher numbers if they chose to, but as Eric said, this test was for as close as possible to the same parameters, 37R to HTA37R. Just thought that was worth saying at this point. Your results may vary.
You are correct, when we test we really do our best to keep out as many variables as possible. Sure if you went with a bigger hotside and played with boost a little more you might get higher peak numbers but then its hard to point out where you are getting your gain from. thanks again 9sec9

Eric
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
One thing has to be kept in mind. THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION, I REPEAT, NOT A REFLECTION IN ANY WAY on ANY VENDOR....PERIOD. This AMS 37R test and previous tests on the HTA35R were by different tuners using different methods and parameters to achieve their results. This HAS to be considered when trying to arrive at final POTENTIAL whp levels of this turbo. Most tuners could arrive at higher numbers if they chose to, but as Eric said, this test was for as close as possible to the same parameters, 37R to HTA37R. Just thought that was worth saying at this point. Your results may vary.
I agree 100%, but now AMS being a Vendor, how do you justify the $400 sale?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric, it's understandable that a vendor has to be defensive on the outset. No problems here. I don't think anyone could say that AMS has ANY hidden agenda on their testing. I was just curious of the 'final' logs data, not the initial settings. Kind of like putting a new Intake Manifold on and the AFR's change, so they need to be reset to really see the difference. Didn't know if something on that order occurred or not. Thanks for the test and results.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Like I had posted in my initial post. If you have an AMS 37R now I dont know if it would be worth the gain but when shopping for a larger turbo from a smaller one. An extra 20 whp for $500 is pretty damn good HP to Dollar ratio. Hell I would take that all day long LOL

Eric
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Like I had posted in my initial post. If you have an AMS 37R now I dont know if it would be worth the gain but when shopping for a larger turbo from a smaller one. An extra 20 whp for $500 is pretty damn good HP to Dollar ratio. Hell I would take that all day long LOL

Eric

Good point.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports

Eric
+1 on that! haha, not bad though for test results. Not much of gains as some people hope but gains never the least. Good job as always guys hopefully soon I can start calling/talking to you guys about getting parts for my evo ix.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric, that's why I said the same thing. If given a choice of basically the same spoolup, but more whp....I don't think I even have to answer that, even for $500. Intakes cost twice that much, for the same gains.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Great Test. Now can you try to max out that HTA turbo?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Is a higher boost level applicable to the hta 37r? also what is the max boost level with the standard 37r? Also are you guys going to do a custom tune with the hta 37r to see if any differences?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
It's like 30 hp... your kidding right? I don't think you'd ever feel it. And I doubt it would help your time much.
no I'm dead serious..that's alot when you're up in that power range..
Hence the reason I went with a 37R over a 35R.

a little higher peak power ouput..but higher none the less!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

This is using the same .63 A/R 5 bolt hotside that we use on our 37R
Just so everyone understands, we do offer the turbo with larger .82 and 1.06 housings and we consider the .82 A/R to be the default and recommended size to use. Not everyone is going to want to run a .63 housing on a 700+hp application, even if it is a .63 that works alot like an .82 A/R.

Nice test guys!

Boost ON!

Robert Young
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the feeling the reason this compressor wheel didn't perform like the others is due to the compressor wheel's size itself. The HTA compressor wheel seems to be making most of its power gains at higher turbine rpm ranges from its unique polished/ridge designs. I think the bigger wheels hinder this becuase they are spinning at lower rpm's.

Any thoughts?

Comparitive pictures as seen on NASIOC.

Regular wheel:

HAT Wheel:

Quick Reply: AMS tests the New Forced Performance HTA37R!