Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

New fp HTA GREEN 517awhp/491ftlbs E85!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
whats you new numbers now man?? you still on e85 doing it or what??
I've got a completely new setup, after building the motor then I decided to go with a black.. and ProEfi came out with a new TRUE flex fuel option for their pro128 ECU, hoping to have the tuning finished tomorrow at Switzer's.. I'm hoping to post up really soon..

Last edited by Liqquid; Jun 4, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats!! your numbers are sick.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 20, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this things is a beast on E85
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Liqquid, I've been following your threads since you had the white, and have been enjoying your progress through the ups and downs. Great stuff. A few questions:
What clutch did you end up using?
Any driveability issues using the pro efi, especially with the 280 cams and E85 in winter? Or do you not drive it when it's really cold up there in MI?
Since you're staying 2.0, what CR are you using on the build?
Since you were obviously biased toward low end tq and quick spool before (reason I like your build/threads) how much of that do you feel you're really giving up with the Black?

Last edited by hokiruu; Jun 21, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice numbers
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

My apologies for not seeing your post sooner! Don't know how I missed it...

So lately there's been alot more downs than ups. I actually have had the new block and everything put together for quite some time, but still have not gotten it to work 100%. It seems the answer might be in the Headgasket, we used a stock headgasket but the motor is 0.040 over or 86mm, due to the used block I picked up being in rougher shape than I thought

So what's going on is at about 525 whp on the same dyno, (33 psi on the black), everything is working well. With a jug of E98 and a content sensor on the car, I can make the ethonal percentage dead on E85 or better if I want, so the boost can be turned up to say, 40psi like on some of the other builds you read about with the black. At this level, the car put down 619 on the dynojet with the smoothest graph 've seen it do, and the sound was amazing, the car just sounds mean at that level... but then problems started.. a freeze plug popped. I've swapped out HG's a couple times and fresh sets of ARP's, had the head pressure tested, and everything's fine but the second we get the power up (VERY conservative timing, if we pull 2 more degrees out, it loses 50whp so we're right on the minimum for the fuel) it does something like that, freeze plug or pushing coolant into the overflow.

So, at 450-500whp dynojet, I think I'd take the HTA Green, it comes on noticably sooner with the comp 280 cams than the black does, although there might be some playing around with cam timing and also the WG actuator preload that I haven't done yet (because of the strange problems, I haven't put time into that kinda stuff just yet) I can't give an honest review of the black yet since I have not driven it at high boost. I've also got a bigger set of cams that I had in the car for a bit, which increased spool on the Black as well but I went back to the comp's for now to rule out any variables until I figure out what's wrong.

So next up I'm going to try an 86mm gasket along with some L19's. I've gotten a few ideas from talking to people lately, and I'll probably go with the cosworth gasket, although there is also the HKS option and the "bore the stock gasket" option. Hopefully this solves the issue and I can drop the other cams back in with a set of dual springs, and maybe do a 65mm throttle body as well.

As far as drivability, after I was the "guinni pig" for the Flex-Fuel Pro-Efi, and we got a good handle on the FIC2150 injectors (it's important to have the scaling dead on when you are interpolating between 93 and E85 maps, it has to be dead on or the tune will get progressivly richer or leaner than you want as the ethonal multiplier is changed based on the fuel in the tank) Once tht was all done, it was running great, I was able to dial in the idle perfect with the user software, and get everything set so there was no stalling or even dips in rpm after blipping the throttle. Drivability was really good at that point.

Of course as my luck would have it, a TOB clip popped off from my exedy twin and I was stuck pulling the trans again to replace it. Since putting it back together I've had strange idle problems and I'm trying to figure that out now. somehow in all this madness a piece of plastic debris got stuck in with the IAC so that seemed like it could be the problem with the idle, but the IAC tests good and seems to work so I'm not sure.

So that's where I'm at with it now. Might try to get to the shop here and get some assistance troubleshooting the idle issue, I'm excited to see how the Headgasket thing pans out but I've got to fix this idle issue first now.

Thanks for reading, with my frustrations over these problems I haven't felt like posting much in the last year.. just fed up with all the problems but I'm starting to have some hope again

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Liqquid, I've been following your threads since you had the white, and have been enjoying your progress through the ups and downs. Great stuff. A few questions:
What clutch did you end up using?
Any driveability issues using the pro efi, especially with the 280 cams and E85 in winter? Or do you not drive it when it's really cold up there in MI?
Since you're staying 2.0, what CR are you using on the build?
Since you were obviously biased toward low end tq and quick spool before (reason I like your build/threads) how much of that do you feel you're really giving up with the Black?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yea and the other questions, the ethanol runs great in the winter but doesn't start worth a @#!% when it gets down below 40 degrees, so I tend to start using pump gas in the winter.

The engine build is stock crank, Brian Crower 625+ rods, and wiseco hd1400 pistons with a 9.1CR

I ended up getting an Exedy twin HD clutch which so far except the clip pop-off has been very nice compared to the other ones I've owned... however my experience has led me to not want to form an opinion of a clutch till after say, 15,000 miles lol
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:19 PM

Nice
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what the hell ever happened to your car liqquid? lol. you blew it up then it just disappeared. did you not have the money to fix it right away or what?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
what the hell ever happened to your car liqquid? lol. you blew it up then it just disappeared. did you not have the money to fix it right away or what?
for the first couple months damn right, I had just gotten it finished and only got to make a couple passes and drive it home before the stock block went $$$$ was not plentiful at that moment lol... then I bought a block and had it built but it wasn't a spare no expense thing for sure. I'm still driving it around and even on the 4-something it makes on 93, it still is a blast but all these little things keep bugging me, I just haven't gotten it right again... and yea, it's been forever Of course at one point I got so fed up with it, that I parked it for 3 months and didn't even wanna look at it.

I moved into a place with a garage and also took a new spot at work, so I'm hoping those two things will make it easier to get this thing running right again. I'm just hoping the block does not have some kind of microfracture in it that is only being an issue under high cylinder pressure... it seems like every other one-off oddball problem has come my way so nothing will surprise me at this point

Last edited by Liqquid; Nov 19, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:57 PM

Nice numbers! I can't wait til I convert mines over to E85.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akaJleno
Nice numbers! I can't wait til I convert mines over to E85.
yep if I lived there I would never put crappy 93 back in the car again!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavinrowe
Solid
Solid 5 year thread bump