Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Highest HP 4g63 engine (from 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wanna see results for the stock crank also
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
+1, Mitsi has nothing to prove/hide
Mitsu has proved that it's good for almost 1000awhp and dead low 9 sec passes or even 8 sec passes if I am not mistaken... These numbers will cover 99% of the Mitsu owners... And most importantly it already came with the car! No additional funds required!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd be interested to see some torsional rigidity numbers for the cranks.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kouzman
Mitsu has proved that it's good for almost 1000awhp and dead low 9 sec passes or even 8 sec passes if I am not mistaken... These numbers will cover 99% of the Mitsu owners... And most importantly it already came with the car! No additional funds required!
I don't think anybody pushs the stock cranks that hard without additional balancing. As far as strength though, it's pretty robust.

I don't see any of the cranks with half the counterweights removed? What's your thoughts on those, Spyros?

For example,
http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/pdf/evo.pdf

Also, the work done on that head is awesome. Is that head going to be an actual finished product or is that being used for development purposes on the flowbench only?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You balance a crank when you build a motor..... no one in there right mind will put an OEM crank in a car, not balance it....and try to make it hold high rpm (aka 1000whp + )
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I don't think anybody pushs the stock cranks that hard without additional balancing. As far as strength though, it's pretty robust.

I don't see any of the cranks with half the counterweights removed? What's your thoughts on those, Spyros?

For example,
http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/pdf/evo.pdf

Also, the work done on that head is awesome. Is that head going to be an actual finished product or is that being used for development purposes on the flowbench only?
Of course there could be some additional balancing. I was more referring to billet cranks and aftermarket cranks that many times claim to be better than OEM, however we have seen many times that this is not the case...

Spyros,

it ould be great to show a table with results for all the cranks you have... This would be the easiest way to interpret the results.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk to CBRD about the winberg cranks, i know hes used them in a couple motors
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
You balance a crank when you build a motor..... no one in there right mind will put an OEM crank in a car, not balance it....and try to make it hold high rpm (aka 1000whp + )
Of course there could be some additional balancing.
Been checked multiple times with the same results, something like >0.5g at 9k...might have been 8k. I will have to ask the machinist that checked it for us.

With the exception of the long stroke crankshafts, the stock 88mm Mitsu crank doesnt have issues till 1100+whp and 11k. Even then all we have ever seen is micro fractures and that isnt a result of the balance. Maybe we just have a knack for finding good cranks, but if that was the case I'd rather use that luck on the lottery.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Been checked multiple times with the same results, something like >0.5g at 9k...might have been 8k. I will have to ask the machinist that checked it for us.

With the exception of the long stroke crankshafts, the stock 88mm Mitsu crank doesnt have issues till 1100+whp and 11k. Even then all we have ever seen is micro fractures and that isnt a result of the balance. Maybe we just have a knack for finding good cranks, but if that was the case I'd rather use that luck on the lottery.
Huh.....well that just put me in my place, i really thought you would have to balance it.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
We havent broke any 2.0L crankshafts in our 2 drag cars, the micro fractures showed up in magnafluxing but were only in the Evo crank. We havent had the DSM checked but I am sure they are there, that being said it hasnt been a problem.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Huh.....well that just put me in my place, i really thought you would have to balance it.
no one said that you dont need to balance it.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:56 AM

You all have to remember that the 14000rpm that he talks about is not that they spin it to 14000rpm and measure the unbalance! The spin is done at about 500 rpm as usual, then the amount of unbalance is calculated like if the crankshaft was run at 14000rpm.

Spyros, the epoxy you have in the exhaust, I do not think that stays there for a long time? Is i Belzona, what number?

/Andre'
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by norrback
Spyros, the epoxy you have in the exhaust, I do not think that stays there for a long time? Is i Belzona, what number?

/Andre'
I also asked this earlier Andre. I've tried many epoxies and never found one will stay in exhaust port. Spyros, please let us know which you use.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tim radley
I also asked this earlier Andre. I've tried many epoxies and never found one will stay in exhaust port. Spyros, please let us know which you use.
he doesnt run the head with epoxy in exhaust port. cant believe you even tried that. he just used it to flow bench and develop head for his custom casting
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
he doesnt run the head with epoxy in exhaust port. cant believe you even tried that. he just used it to flow bench and develop head for his custom casting
The photos he showed it wasn't made clear that these weren't going to be running heads which is why the question was asked. Its a bit of a gamble to have a new head casting done without testing this epoxy version on a running engine i would have thought.

I tig weld the exhaust ports to the shape i require but its a lot of work that would be much easier done with epoxy and also its not always possible to tig every area due to size of port vs tig torch, so an epoxy solution would be very interesting.

Quick Reply: Highest HP 4g63 engine (from 2007)