Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stock block BBK-Full @26 psi on 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
i'm just saying, some people put down a lot better numbers on the stock turbo. I understand it might be easier to buy a new turbo and run at less boost, which might be better for the engine. When you say that you like the response and what not, i'm just saying that you COULD have pushed the stock turbo a lot further, and in turn, the results from the BBK imho aren't worth the upgrade from the bad *** stock turbo. Some people have pushed that stock turbo to ungoldly levels, now that would be a fun evo to drive.
For a given boost level with the same modifications the BBK-Full will show large gains over the stock turbo. Yes, there are people running 400+ whp w/93 octane with the stock turbo on a razor edge tune with exhaust/intake mods that I do not yet have. The turbo is being run far outside its efficiency range to do so however and the engine will not handle that on the road course. The heat buildup raises the chance of pre-detonation and running outside the efficiency range on the turbo means backpressure (read: heat) is much worse.

The best choice power wise would be for me to obtain the same modifications to intake/exhaust system for maximum power like a better downpipe, o2 housing/dump, and port the intake/exhaust manifolds. I should be able to pick up another 30-50 whp at the same boost levels while reducing existing backpressure.

Don't get me wrong, the stock turbo is a great piece of kit... after all, the BBK is a stock frame variant like most of the popular turbos these days. I just wouldn't be able to run it at these power levels on the track safely.
Old May 7, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to be a hater, but Agile's dyno reads ridiculously high. I had a STI that put down 470whp on Agile's dynopack, and it only trapped 115 mph in the 1/4. My Evo 9 with 315whp on a Mustang Dyno trapped 114mph.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:57 AM

seeing these makes me want AWD even more
Old May 8, 2011, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Ask your tuner if running a 3-port would get you a bit more. Fairly cheap mod, however you'll need another tune.

I basically have the same setup as you except I'm running a grimspeed.

BBK is great turbo. Very fun to drive
Old May 8, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
Not trying to be a hater, but Agile's dyno reads ridiculously high. I had a STI that put down 470whp on Agile's dynopack, and it only trapped 115 mph in the 1/4. My Evo 9 with 315whp on a Mustang Dyno trapped 114mph.
No worries... I have heard a couple of guys say this, and honestly I expected some ridiculous numbers with my various tunes. Having spent a LOT of time watching tunes up at Agile over the last year and half though, I just don't think this is true. I've seen a bunch of Evo's tuned up there which hit numbers which are very typical for the mods they have. I've been tuned three times on the same dyno, which is after all the point... using it as a tuning tool. Each time I had numbers which are relatively typical of the turbo with the mods I have. 330/300 with stock turbo/stock cams, 387/300 with bbk/cams, 404/368 with 26 psi of boost. Even by Chad's dyno those are pretty typical numbers.

If I came on here with a dyno sheet saying I hit 480+ whp with a BBK-Full on pump gas then it would be pretty obvious the dyno is out of whack. In any case, your mileage may vary... on this particular day, with these particular mods, with this particular dyno... I hit these numbers.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
For a given boost level with the same modifications the BBK-Full will show large gains over the stock turbo. Yes, there are people running 400+ whp w/93 octane with the stock turbo on a razor edge tune with exhaust/intake mods that I do not yet have. The turbo is being run far outside its efficiency range to do so however and the engine will not handle that on the road course. The heat buildup raises the chance of pre-detonation and running outside the efficiency range on the turbo means backpressure (read: heat) is much worse.

The best choice power wise would be for me to obtain the same modifications to intake/exhaust system for maximum power like a better downpipe, o2 housing/dump, and port the intake/exhaust manifolds. I should be able to pick up another 30-50 whp at the same boost levels while reducing existing backpressure.

Don't get me wrong, the stock turbo is a great piece of kit... after all, the BBK is a stock frame variant like most of the popular turbos these days. I just wouldn't be able to run it at these power levels on the track safely.

well said, good man.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:07 AM

Nice numbers!
Old May 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to Nate at MAPerformance today and will be picking up a ported/ceramic coated OEM exhaust manifold, and 3'' downpipe/o2 eliminator with cat delete extension from them. I'm not sure if I will wait until after my next track event or not... we'll see.