Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Super 99 vs. PTE 6766 - Joey's Junk Box - Boostin Performance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
FP Super 99 vs. PTE 6766 - Joey's Junk Box - Boostin Performance

As some of you might know, we did some dyno testing putting the FP 3794 against the PTE 6766. At the time, these turbo's where the biggest, baddest T3 turbo's available. That test was a huge success, and may have helped push PTE and FP to come out with some new turbocharger solutions.

*Here's the test - PTE 6766 vs. FP 3794 -->https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rformance.html

*On page 12 we compaired the FP 3794 vs. FP Super 94-->https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rmance-12.html

Now it's time to throw the FP Super 99 into the mix. This testing was done using Joey V's "Junk Box" Evo 9. No other changes were made to Joey's Evo 9 other then the Super 99 turbocharger itself. Spool is slower with the FP Super 99 when compared to the PTE 6766, but this would only be relevant and noticeable with a street car. This is most evident @ 6000-6500 RPM where the PTE 6766 makes 85-90 WHP more then the FP Super 99. In drag racing you never notice the lag; only the huge top end power.

PTE is now answering back with a turbo they claim will outrun the Super 99 - the PTE 6870!! As soon as we get our hands on one, I'll be posting up the results. Hopfully these turbochager manufactures will continue to "one up" each other, because in the end the performance community benefits.

We have had great success with the FP Super 99 in Joey's car, but were held back by cold track temps at the end of the 2013 season. Joey's best E.T. with the FP Super 99 is 8.80 and his best trap is 168 MPH. I know with some warmer track temps / and a better 1/8 mile time, Joey will have no problem going 8.60's on this setup.

MODS:
Boostin Performance Stage 3 High Compression 2.0L
BP Stage 3 Cylinder Head
STM 650 cams
AMS F1 Intake Manifold Ported by BP
Toxic Fab V-band FF Manifold
FP Super 99 Turbocharger
ETS 5" intercooler - BP 3" intercooler piping
Aeromotive Pro Series fuel pump - ID 2000's - E85
AEM EMS tuned by Devin

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Jan 1, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting BP!
Super99 definitely shines at the higher psi.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope the 6870 spools faster than the super99 because some of us street cars would like to run one of these but having a powerband starting at 7k is not an option, the 6466 is still the best street/strip turbo in my book. if the 6870 makes super 94/99 power but spools like a 6766 that might be a winner.

another thing to note is that the 6766 power stays flat till peak rpm, the 99 starts is dying off right after it makes peak hp/torque
The following users liked this post:
CP9A_PTY (Jun 21, 2016)
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
I hope the 6870 spools faster than the super99 because some of us street cars would like to run one of these but having a powerband starting at 7k is not an option, the 6466 is still the best street/strip turbo in my book. if the 6870 makes super 94/99 power but spools like a 6766 that might be a winner.

another thing to note is that the 6766 power stays flat till peak rpm, the 99 starts is dying off right after it makes peak hp/torque
That new turbo will be nice if it comes on like a 6766... I have a 6766 right now and it is a good turbo.

Also I believe the bottleneck was the exhaust since now they install a side exit.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are some great numbers. How are you guys managing tire spin at these power lvls. My tuner has a 42r 1g that almost triples in power from 6k to 9500 and blows the tires off the dyno when this happeneds. It literally smokes tires and throw rubber every where. It's on QTP's. Car only reads about 680whp on Mustang dyno but it's spinning all the way to red line.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

The Super 99 is a for sure better drag setup. Good info!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, the 6466 is hard to beat in a street car setup.

From what I hear, the 6870 will have a "gen 2" compressor wheel similar in design to the 6466. This "gen 2" wheel is what is responsible for the quick spool and massive power it generates. The 68 compressor is a 7 blade wheel and uses a high pressure design just like the 6466. It should be a fun one for sure!

The power falling off had a lot to do with us running it through a 3" exhaust. Like I stated, nothing was changed other then the turbo for this testing. Since then, we have upgraded to a 3.5" side exit exhaust.

Originally Posted by V8HAHA
Those are some great numbers. How are you guys managing tire spin at these power lvls. My tuner has a 42r 1g that almost triples in power from 6k to 9500 and blows the tires off the dyno when this happeneds. It literally smokes tires and throw rubber every where. It's on QTP's. Car only reads about 680whp on Mustang dyno but it's spinning all the way to red line.
The QTP's have a lot to do with it. With a high power car, a drag radial or a nice sticky street tire is much better for the dyno then a slick or any bias ply tire. The radial tire pushes against the roller and keeps contact with the roller. A slick deforms too much to hold good tension between it and the roller.

Also the angle of the straps holding the car needs to be right. This is one reason I left the dyno above ground. With an above ground dyno and strapping to the floor, you can get a much better angle then if the dyno is in-ground. You need to pull the car down as much as possible - not forward or backward.

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Jan 2, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks or the info by the way I can't wait to see this car and Devins car out on the track this year. You guys are always pushing the envelope too bad you don't have year round racing temps like us here in AZ. It's 73 out today and test n tune will be in full swing this weekend. Beers on my e if you guys ever decide to come out I the Wild West
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

"street car" with 900 mustang dyno hp? lol. what setup do you have? I have a car or two in your hp range local thatd likely meet up tonhave ome mexico fun if you're into that.

good numbers Op. still t3 right? this needs a nice sized ts t4 and that 3.5" exh and i bet that power band broadens up and makes even more power.

impressive power nonetheless!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
I agree, the 6466 is hard to beat in a street car setup.

From what I hear, the 6870 will have a "gen 2" compressor wheel similar in design to the 6466. This "gen 2" wheel is what is responsible for the quick spool and massive power it generates. The 68 compressor is a 7 blade wheel and uses a high pressure design just like the 6466. It should be a fun one for sure!

The power falling off had a lot to do with us running it through a 3" exhaust. Like I stated, nothing was changed other then the turbo for this testing. Since then, we have upgraded to a 3.5" side exit exhaust.

The QTP's have a lot to do with it. With a high power car, a drag radial or a nice sticky street tire is much better for the dyno then a slick or any bias ply tire. The radial tire pushes against the roller and keeps contact with the roller. A slick deforms too much to hold good tension between it and the roller.

Also the angle of the straps holding the car needs to be right. This is one reason I left the dyno above ground. With an above ground dyno and strapping to the floor, you can get a much better angle then if the dyno is in-ground. You need to pull the car down as much as possible - not forward or backward.

Does the car get street driven at all? I see you guys are on the M&H's. Reason I ask is I am considering switching to these since i get ZERO traction in 1-3rd. lol
Old Jan 3, 2014, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
"street car" with 900 mustang dyno hp? lol. what setup do you have? I have a car or two in your hp range local thatd likely meet up tonhave ome mexico fun if you're into that.

good numbers Op. still t3 right? this needs a nice sized ts t4 and that 3.5" exh and i bet that power band broadens up and makes even more power.

impressive power nonetheless!

I do not street race, 7th street is nothing like the track. But I drive my racecar on the street occasionally and like I said before the 6466/6766 are streetable 800whp turbos. The Super99 is not plain and simple. When the new pte unit can be tested I'll be very interested in seeing the results with both on the 3" exhaust and then on the 3.5" exhaust.

Thankyou boostin performance for spending your time doing these test but more importantly releasing the info out to the community
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Yay thanks for posting this up - been looking forward to it!

if the 6870 makes super 94/99 power but spools like a 6766 that might be a winner.

There is no way the 6870 is going to spool like the 6766 - the compressor will probably be pretty awesome, so not going to comment on that... but a 70mm turbine versus 66, I am not going to hold my breath on that being a similarly responsive beast. I'm guessing this PT6870 will be particularly well suited to the bigger motor guys, though it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Super94 and Super99s.

Also when comparing the PT6870 with the FP turbos, it might make the contexts a bit more interesting naming them all in "Precision nomenclature":

Precision PT6766
Super94=FP6868
Precision PT6870
Super99=FP7268

The betting man in me is the PT6870 is going to fit between the Super94 and Super99 in both response and power on EVOs but it will be very very interesting to see - awesome to see the competition heating up at the moment, everyone is a winner when things are progressing like this!

It's worth baring in mind that Devin doesn't run these bigger turbos on kill on the dyno - and that all the dyno plot is showing at 47psi is how hard the 6766 is working at that boost level, we have no idea how much more the Super99 would pick up if it is given more boost to play with as it's clearly still very happy. With both on kill the power difference will be bigger, and there appears to only be a few hundred rpm difference in lag if I am reading it right?

Agreed, 6466 is better balance for street/drag - but the Super99 is doing DAMN good for the power potential it is likely to have.

Last edited by MrLith; Jan 3, 2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Real world results recorded by the best! Thanks for taking the time to post up the info.

I still haven't seen any solid t4 super 99 results. Everyone's sticking to these t3 99s even some shop cars why, I don't know. I guess we will just have to see what a t4 frame 6870 is capable of in due time.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for sharing your data with us Devin.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Awesome results and Great sharing it with the community.

Quick Reply: FP Super 99 vs. PTE 6766 - Joey's Junk Box - Boostin Performance