Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
your profile claims you have a evo x. R u asking about the evo 9 cam characteristics?
Lol, I forgot to update my profile.. Sold the X years ago.

Yes, I'm asking about 9 cams.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
You won't be disappointed. I've been ripping around town the last few days, and its definitely a step up from the JB HTA Green in power and responsiveness. Sometimes I even find myself thinking that this is all I need.
I do not believe this one bit.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
its definitely a step up from the JB HTA Green in power and responsiveness.
I know this maybe difficult to recall, but with regards to off-boost, low throttle responsiveness, how does the bbk b compare to the bbk full you had prior to the hta grn?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by droppinbottom
I do not believe this one bit.
Only sometimes. However, I am pretty happy with this turbo, so for the time being it will just be tinkering with different bolt-ons.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
I know this maybe difficult to recall, but with regards to off-boost, low throttle responsiveness, how does the bbk b compare to the bbk full you had prior to the hta grn?
Its pretty much identical to the Full. Both have great off-boost responsiveness and power, but need a good DV/BOV to effectively deal with part throttle partial lift. The anti-surge cover on the Green hurt the off-boost responsiveness as well as making it feel a bit underpowered off boost, but the anti-surge cover on the Green shines in part throttle partial lift. There was almost no stutter with that turbo.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We just ran the new QR-J recirc Tial- on the softest spring- it is pretty darn good-

cb
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Mychailo
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its pretty much identical to the Full. Both have great off-boost responsiveness and power, but need a good DV/BOV to effectively deal with part throttle partial lift. The anti-surge cover on the Green hurt the off-boost responsiveness as well as making it feel a bit underpowered off boost, but the anti-surge cover on the Green shines in part throttle partial lift. There was almost no stutter with that turbo.
Good to hear, I really enjoyed the responsiveness of my BBK Full but wanted a little more power. I will be sending my JB BBK-B to Chad within the next couple months to be converted to BB.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This is good to hear. there isnt a whole lot of good info on what the anti-surge cover does other than help stop surge. I have only seen one reliable back to back with only the cover changed. someone on the evo x forums tested both covers on EF3 and the results were surprising. the anti-surge cover clearly spooled 250 rpm slower. thats a pretty good chunk.

Edit: found the thread and it was about 200 rpm slower. post 63 has the dynograph before and after
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ing-plano.html

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Apr 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
This is good to hear. there isnt a whole lot of good info on what the anti-surge cover does other than help stop surge. I have only seen one reliable back to back with only the cover changed. someone on the evo x forums tested both covers on EF3 and the results were surprising. the anti-surge cover clearly spooled 250 rpm slower. thats a pretty good chunk.

When I spoke to Chad he told me that the anti surge cover definitely robs a few hp and slows spool.
First I heard anything about the anti surge cover hampering performance but interesting to know.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

The ball bearing turbo that was in question as far as a failure is here- with some very obvious items outside of our control-

we will follow up shortly!

cb
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

and yes antisurge covers typically rob power and are turbulent-

cb
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
and yes antisurge covers typically rob power and are turbulent-

cb
Interesting, I remember English Racing posting good results from the antisurge covers, on a stock turbo at least.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting about the anti-surge covers. I didn't know that.

I do remember seeing guys were making more power on the BBK Fulls here in CA with the covers IIRC.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
When I spoke to Chad he told me that the anti surge cover definitely robs a few hp and slows spool.
First I heard anything about the anti surge cover hampering performance but interesting to know.
With the way that the anti-surge cover softened surge, it definitely felt like it was also affecting off-boost performance, but there are other differences between the two turbos that I suppose could have affected the off-boost performance. I may try to summarize those differences tomorrow when I have some time.

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 8, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Does the bbk-b bb turbo come with surge ports?

if not, have you been able to generate any surge with the bbk-b bb?

fwiw, i can generate some surge on my hta grn, if i experience such, i just dial down my pcduty in the area of concern for my ebc & problem is solved.

I would imagine such is the same if experienced with a basic bbk.

if the response is similar between the bbk-b bb vs the jb bbk, then maybe the bbk-b bb is the turbo for me...

Quick Reply: BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo