Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stepping my IX up for 91/E85, looking for final preparation suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Ouch good catch Bryan! Hey maybe you can chime in on this but im curious how often you are tweaking knock filters? Isn't this a stock motor? If so I cant see why you would ever want or need to tweak the filters.

My built 2.2 with no balance shafts for example still has factory knock filters.
I was told that even stock block with mods, it makes phantom knock louder. My head is built and I have FBO, so it is expected to knock more. I remember tuner listening with headphones when he was starting base tuning. Not sure if he was listening to knock though. I am curious about how much knock I'll pick up with oem settings, so I'll put these values and and log this weekend.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ouch good catch Bryan! Hey maybe you can chime in on this but im curious how often you are tweaking knock filters? Isn't this a stock motor? If so I cant see why you would ever want or need to tweak the filters.

My built 2.2 with no balance shafts for example still has factory knock filters.
Do you pick up any knock with oem settings?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I picked up random knock when my S1's were installed on my stock block/head. Could be because it was stock, tired valve springs tho. But my knock sensitivity is reduced a bit to compensate for it
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Concerning knock filters.
I tuned a buddies Evo 9 in south america a few years ago using the file I created on my own car . This was after I totally understood what timing values these cars live with, the results of my own car and hours on a dyno alongside a professional. My buddy put his car on the dyno on pump gas then race gas. We adjusted the timing and knock filters. I ended up leaving them 2 clicks above stock since it was a built engine and I used conservative timing . Made multiple pulls back to back to rule out false knock while adjusting the filters and looking at the dyno graph. Also added timing but if you aren't seeing significant gains then back the timing back off. The only reward you get for using really high timing values is an engine rebuild .

If you want to continue to tune your own car I would still take a class and read as much as possible from credible sources .https://www.hpacademy.com

This is also a good guide to read. Logging knock base and voltage and asking yourself what normal timing these cars live with is a good place to start.

https://www.evoscan.com/ecuflash/Mer...UIDE-V1.7a.pdf

Last edited by Abacus; Oct 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Oct 7, 2019)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I was told that even stock block with mods, it makes phantom knock louder. My head is built and I have FBO, so it is expected to knock more. I remember tuner listening with headphones when he was starting base tuning. Not sure if he was listening to knock though. I am curious about how much knock I'll pick up with oem settings, so I'll put these values and and log this weekend.
Sure, some tweaking of the knock filters can be acceptable if precautions are taken but yours are like 3x higher (and basically turned off in the low end) which is not usual for an OEM engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by RazorLab:
2006EvoIXer (Oct 7, 2019), Abacus (Oct 7, 2019), Wicked_X (Oct 7, 2019)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Sure, some tweaking of the knock filters can be acceptable if precautions are taken but yours are like 3x higher (and basically turned off in the low end) which is not usual for an OEM engine.
This 1000%. I have only touched one knock table on an OEM bottom end, and it was my own. Small sample size, maybe 10, but you get the idea.

I've also had a few extremely quiet built motors. I can't say I've had a "noisy" OEM one however, within reason of course.

I will say the car probably pulled like a freight train with that much timing.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
This 1000%. I have only touched one knock table on an OEM bottom end, and it was my own. Small sample size, maybe 10, but you get the idea.

I've also had a few extremely quiet built motors. I can't say I've had a "noisy" OEM one however, within reason of course.

I will say the car probably pulled like a freight train with that much timing.
Guys, Adding timing helps produce power to a certain point but then its small/no gains and just harder on bearings. This gets worse with a small back pressure limited turbo. Here is an easy to understand video .

The tuner already knew what ballpark the timing needed to be based on his years of tuning and track record. He chose a conservative number, then cranked the boost up and cleaned up the AF/fuel trim/VE. Probably adjusted the boost controller as well to follow target closer.
Then adjusted the timing to see if there was power there. If what Adam says is correct it was .

453@ 25psi @ x timing
468@ 25psi @ x timing with a leaner AFR
480@ 28psi @ x timing
495@ 30psi @ x timing
520@ 30psi@ x timing+ 1 degree
524@ 30psi @ x timing + 2 degrees

The gains weren't worth it at X plus 2 degrees so they dialed it back.

Choose a well known low timing value for your compression/engine. Dial in the AFR. Dial the boost up to what you want to run. Adjust the timing to see where the significant and safe gains are. Call it a 2-3 degree window . Not 10. With these engines you will see more gains with boost then timing ( when its in the right spot )

Lets say you end up making 500 @ 7500 with 13 degrees of timing and its running well. Could back it off 1-2 degrees and then run it at the drag strip or use a Draggy device. Run it, log it. Then add the 1-2 degrees back in and run it/log it. Compare the data. Boost, timing, afr,knock activity. Just because it will take xx timing on the dyno with one cowboy pass doesn't mean to leave it there. Back it off and work back up to it. Or decide to splash in some better fuel and run it.

Last edited by Abacus; Oct 8, 2019 at 09:15 AM.
2006EvoIXer (Oct 7, 2019)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

You convinced me not to push this 71hta any further. Lol
Time for next turbo.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

You convinced me not to push this 71hta any further. Lol
Time for next turbo.
Trying to convince you to have your car retuned.

But if you are ok with where its at after what Bryan and I have said then thats your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abacus:
2006EvoIXer (Oct 7, 2019), Wicked_X (Oct 7, 2019)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
Trying to convince you to have your car retuned.

But if you are ok with where its at after what Bryan and I have said then thats your decision.
The new tune is from a pro tuner and I reduced the WGDC to where I'm comfortable with. But I am learning from everyone's help. I'll restore the stock settings and log knock voltage to see what my sensor will pick up.
Thanks everyone for the crash coarse on what to check.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Is this the pro tuner who essentially disabled your knock filters? I learned a wile ago that being a professional doesn't mean you are good at your profession. Instead all it means is that you get paid. I don't mean to come across as rude but the point I'm trying to make is from the sounds of it, you should find a new tuner. Your motor will be happier, car will run smoother and be more reliable.
2006EvoIXer (Oct 8, 2019)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Is this the pro tuner who essentially disabled your knock filters? I learned a wile ago that being a professional doesn't mean you are good at your profession. Instead all it means is that you get paid. I don't mean to come across as rude but the point I'm trying to make is from the sounds of it, you should find a new tuner. Your motor will be happier, car will run smoother and be more reliable.
Not rude at all!
I need to put back oem values and log runs with knock voltage to see what kinds of knock I get. Then I can set this up right. To be fair, we had a limited amount of time to tune, and I think he bumped those up so he doesn't get interference in tuning since previous tune showed no knock and his tune removed all the timing. I think he forgot to put old setting back, which looks like it shut off knock sensor when under 3500 rpm and reduced sensitivity 1-3 steps tapering up.

I'll try to do this tonight and see what the log records.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Not rude at all!
I need to put back oem values and log runs with knock voltage to see what kinds of knock I get. Then I can set this up right. To be fair, we had a limited amount of time to tune, and I think he bumped those up so he doesn't get interference in tuning since previous tune showed no knock and his tune removed all the timing. I think he forgot to put old setting back, which looks like it shut off knock sensor when under 3500 rpm and reduced sensitivity 1-3 steps tapering up.

I'll try to do this tonight and see what the log records.
Knock voltage is an filtered value straight from the sensor. Its a good thing to reference it, but it's not the only thing to look at.

Turning the knock sensor off is not how you "expedite" the tuning process.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
2006EvoIXer (Oct 8, 2019), Wicked_X (Oct 8, 2019)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

A quick update. I put back oem settings and got a little knock in spool rpms. It pulled a little timing too.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

I found a surprise as well. When I we working with new tuner, I noticed my boost would drop to less than 50 for about 1000rpm interval WOT. I figured it out tonight!

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Oct 9, 2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Stepping my IX up for 91/E85, looking for final preparation suggestions