Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Problems with Satilite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Satilite

Can anyone come up with a good reason that when it gets really hot outside, my satilite reception is non-existant? once it cools down insode the car it pops back. this just started over the last couple weeks and persists only when the interior is hot. never did that before.

running a pioneer deck ( it works fine when its hot inside, because when I change mode to the regulkar antenna it works) with a sirius sat unit.

any thought?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Mine did the same thing with my Alpine unit. The satelite tuner box was bad and it got too hot. I just replaced the unit. Also, make sure to check all your connections and make sure nothing is loose.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

People have had the same complaint about the Clarion Calypso plug-and-play. Maybe a design flaw?

Where do you have the box mounted? Is it the SIR-PNR box that works with pioneer heads? You may want to try mounting it somewhere where it can get a little more air circulation. My SIR-CL3 (same thing but for Clarion) noted the need for air circulation in the manual.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never had that once since going sat. three years ago. But I'm using Eclipse aux w/ Delphi sat tuner. Only black out is under bridges for me...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its probably the tuner box. Sirius receivers run hot.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grog
People have had the same complaint about the Clarion Calypso plug-and-play. Maybe a design flaw?

Where do you have the box mounted? Is it the SIR-PNR box that works with pioneer heads? You may want to try mounting it somewhere where it can get a little more air circulation. My SIR-CL3 (same thing but for Clarion) noted the need for air circulation in the manual.

Its mounted on the back side of the glove box. it moves with the glove box door but, when you open the glove box you dont see it. you have to romove the glove box to get to it.

needs more air hey? humph. i had no problems at all until the weather got really hot and humid over the last couple weeks.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newimportowner
Its mounted on the back side of the glove box. it moves with the glove box door but, when you open the glove box you dont see it. you have to romove the glove box to get to it.

needs more air hey? humph. i had no problems at all until the weather got really hot and humid over the last couple weeks.
tape it to the outside of the car with double sided tape
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just got mine installed and running last night. After about 45 minutes it gave me a "Searching for Signal" message. Drove for about 10 minutes on the open highway, never came back on. The box was on the passenger side floor. Hasn't been mounted yet, gets plenty of air there.

May have to rig up some kind of PC fan just to cool it off? hmm.

Great programming. Horrible equipment.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grog
Just got mine installed and running last night. After about 45 minutes it gave me a "Searching for Signal" message. Drove for about 10 minutes on the open highway, never came back on. The box was on the passenger side floor. Hasn't been mounted yet, gets plenty of air there.

May have to rig up some kind of PC fan just to cool it off? hmm.

Great programming. Horrible equipment.
THat is your antenna not the receiver. Where did you mount it?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
THat is your antenna not the receiver. Where did you mount it?
+1 as I'd like to know as well. I mounted mine on the rear deck more near the passenger side and for the most part it's fine but it doesn get crappy from time to time and if someone is in the back seat it's even worse. I'd like ot have it on the roof but with the aluminum roof that's a no go and when I had it on the trunk I couldn't stand how it looked.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:39 PM

If your windows are tinted with a tint that is metalized it will mess with the reception when the antenna is mounted inside. I had mine mounted on my front dash and it would get get crappy from time to time (my windshield is fully tinted). Put it outside on my roof (not alum) and no problem. Just a thought for those that mount them inside and have bad reception. For aluminum roof get some of the 3m double sided tape and put on your roof. The tape is pretty thin, but holds real good.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I may end up going with the tape idea. I got my windows tinted with 3M satellite/nav safe film just for that purpose. It actually acted the same way before I got them tinted.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
Yeah I may end up going with the tape idea. I got my windows tinted with 3M satellite/nav safe film just for that purpose. It actually acted the same way before I got them tinted.
rofl
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

With Sirius your reception will change due to direction of travel and time of day. They use 3 moving satellites and have less ground repeaters than XM. XM has 2 stronger stationary satellites at the equator and more repeaters on the ground.

It is more important that the antenna has a clear view of the sky with Sirius.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

the antennas frequently go bad. it is the single biggest source of comebacks for us(probably 2x for 1 of all other problems combined)

what you are describing can be the tuner is getting to hot(rare, we never have that problem anymore, and we are in the arm pit of the us) but most likely your seals and body steel are flexing slightly with the temp change(or the antenna wire itself is expanding) and cutting signal off. those things are real picky. get another antenna and plug it in and put it on your roof while its doing it. if it doesnt help its a bad box

Quick Reply: Problems with Satilite