Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

PC install + pics (big pics)

Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't really be a need to change DVDs while driving.....however, there is actually room to do it while the door is closed.

I guess I really need to take everything out and weigh it for everyone...everyone seems to think this install weighs 5 tons. It's actually quite light. Much lighter than a sub+amp+cap install.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 06:51 PM

why is the box for it so big? Its bigger then a regular desk top? is it because of the power inverter? I really was looking in to doing something like this. Don't think I'm busting your *****. What screen is that and did it come with drivers to use with windows? I may be pming you soon for some questions.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

That looks really nice, it's like something that I'm looking towards.

Touch-screen Double Din (I like how they look alot more than motorized screens) and a special in car PC, so I don't have to make that thing in the back. I'd just have it under my seat.

Anyways about how much did this run you?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

pretty cool! Be cooler if you were able to hook up EcuFlash or something to it!!!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnsrt4
why is the box for it so big? Its bigger then a regular desk top? is it because of the power inverter? I really was looking in to doing something like this. Don't think I'm busting your *****. What screen is that and did it come with drivers to use with windows? I may be pming you soon for some questions.

It is long because it has the following in it lengthwise:

|powersupply|MB|drive rack|inverter

and then tall because it had to clear the sound card.

Everything in there is nice and snug, with just enough room for airflow.

The screen is an "Auto-PC" from Ebay. Yes, it did come with drivers and set-up software.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prind0

Not sure TBH, had this same install in my 3000gt. When I installed it in that I just had the PC laying around the house, bought it a few years ago for $400-ish I guess. About $300 for the screen then the money for supplies....
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by era-teknic.com
pretty cool! Be cooler if you were able to hook up EcuFlash or something to it!!!

In work!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

buddy o'mine did that and interfaced his aem straight in. Sweet setup and tuning a breeze, nice ;-)
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prind0
That looks really nice, it's like something that I'm looking towards.

Touch-screen Double Din (I like how they look alot more than motorized screens) and a special in car PC, so I don't have to make that thing in the back. I'd just have it under my seat.

Yeah Now Orbital prestige has that Conversion thing, soo you don't need to hunt for a manual din style hvac control. And a double din screen looks cleaner, plus if the screen is out, and you forget or mess up with your footwork clutch wise you don't have to worry about it flopping arround and smaking into the dash, had that problem with my MR2. Double din is the Way to go.

As far as the PC goes, I was planning something like that, but when i started calculating it all in my head it was gonna be prety expensive, YOu should hard wire a creative labs 6.1 audio system (their HArd to get you can use 7.1 and throw in a Center speaker) and just put in a new sound card, And leave the sub box thing in the trunk, They are small less than 1 cubic FT. It would sound Pretty Kickass with a Sound Blaster X-FI thrown in 2, with its Crytalization Software. Now that you got a PC in the car the Sky is the Limit. Looks pretty sleek must say that.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:53 PM

The weight of the install isn't that much. Just look at my install....
Attached Thumbnails PC install + pics (big pics)-img_0122.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

the people complaining about 'weight' are prolly the people who take out the spare tire & the carpet in the trunk to save a whopping 20lbs.

but i do agree with the comment on the dvd drive facing the door. i guess you better be happy w/ whats playin.

i like it though.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

why wouldnt you just install a small sony into the glove box and run it like that. That way its portable, you can still have all the same features, it weighs less than 4 pounds, and its10x easier to maneauver

I like your idea but its extreme, weighty and, space consuming, plus it creates holes, and a web of wiring.
(JUST MY OPINION AND .02) Very creative though!
check this out :
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-VAIO-LAPTOP...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by ThewondererEVO; Sep 20, 2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:39 PM

Yeah I was wondering what would be the best and cheapest way to make a set up like this but do it some what smaller. Would it be cheaper to use a lap top and mount it in the trunk but then you don't have the high end soud card ect... Pluss laptops are not cheap. I'm not a computer genius I have done sound cards, memory, cd/dvd drives but never fully built a computer and did bios ect... so I was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to look online or circuit city ect... for a cheap desktop that had the prossesor speed hard drive ect... that I want for my carputer then disasemble it add the sound card ect... I will need to have a awsome multimedia machine then build the smallest box possible to house it? I'm thinking that is the best way. Also after browsing ebay and looking at the flip out vga touch screen car monitors alot of them look very cheaply made. are you happy with the one you bought for your set up? does anyone know of a decent quality one. I lover the thought of a double di set up but then where the hell do I put the factory gauges? Sorry for such a long post but I really want to do a carputer also and you like some input!!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Nice job!!!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

check out www.mp3car.com
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

They have really nice carputer setups on that site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PC install + pics (big pics)