Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

PC install + pics (big pics)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks people should be, you know, driving while in their cars rather than watching DVD's and playing video games?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talon
Am I the only one who thinks people should be, you know, driving while in their cars rather than watching DVD's and playing video games?
You get bored sometimes in 4 hour highway drives because you can't have "fun" going 75mph for that long. But hey I won't complain. Before I got my car system, my girlfriend entertained me
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Lol, man, you people that think that I have overweighted my car and am going to crash my evo because I am playing games and watching movies while driving really make me chuckle. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I am going to do it while driving.

While driving I use it for MUSIC. Thats it. I can shuffle through over 200 CDs w/ a touchscreen interface, without taking my eyes off the road for any longer than you do changing the station on your stock radio.

For ****s sake people.

Is it always like this when you make a post on this board?

How about some more constructive criticism?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Yeah Now Orbital prestige has that Conversion thing, soo you don't need to hunt for a manual din style hvac control. And a double din screen looks cleaner, plus if the screen is out, and you forget or mess up with your footwork clutch wise you don't have to worry about it flopping arround and smaking into the dash, had that problem with my MR2. Double din is the Way to go.
I thought about the orbital. however, I would then need 3 DIN spaces. 2 for the screen and one for the Head Unit. The HVAC controls have to be in there somewhere.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ThewondererEVO
why wouldnt you just install a small sony into the glove box and run it like that. That way its portable, you can still have all the same features, it weighs less than 4 pounds, and its10x easier to maneauver

I like your idea but its extreme, weighty and, space consuming, plus it creates holes, and a web of wiring.
(JUST MY OPINION AND .02) Very creative though!
check this out :
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-VAIO-LAPTOP...QQcmdZViewItem
Holes? I made one hole. And it is in the same place everyone makes a hole through their firewall. In the grommet on the passenger side. I must admit though, there was alot (ALOT) of wiring. I minimized it as far as I could and everything is routed very clean.

A laptop is not at all what I wanted for the system. A laptop would be great for someone that wants to hook up only for logging and maybe jack some music into their head unit everyonce in awhile.
I wanted something more permanant.
I don't have to pull a laptop out of someplace everytime I want to get to my music cache.... let alone have the person in my passenger seat hold onto my laptop while I drive.
A laptops screen must be open for the computer to be booted up. Unless it is left in stanby the entire time. Which would cause needless current draw.
This setup may be larger, but in the end it takes up less used space and is less of a hassle.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

i think it looks really nice...really nice job man i mean it does also serve as a performance mod cause:

1.u could probably tune your ride since it is a computer and it can be programed to do that.
2.only every 100lbs is a takes a quarter of a second off or watever. im sure its not that big of a difference
3. its not your car but his and his views and designs are wat he likes.

dont mean to offend anybody or get them mad but w/e...i think it looks great awesome job man!!! lol
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking into a few different possibilities for hooking the cars computer straight up to the computer. Being able to tune, log, get visual gauges and warnings up on the screen are one of my top priorities for the system.

There just aren't a ton of options out there right now, and I don't want to just mash something up that looks ok and performs sub-par. If I am going to do it I want it to be clean and fully functional.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

That's a nice job. If I was to do one of those installs myself I would have my hvac controls relocated to the bottom and have a flush screen put in on the top. Nontheless I think you did an awesome job.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

So, why does one want a DVD player and/ or a game system in their car?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

TBH, this is a retarded question. You know why. Why ask? Why does anyone want a factory DVD player in their vehicle. Why do countless people add game consoles to their vehicles?

The computer was going in the car regardless. The addition of any cd-rom would be needed for installation of the operating system, easy installation of support programs, ripping cds to the hard-drive etc etc. It only made sense to me to add a DVD-ROM drive to maximize the capabilities of the fundamental system. Games, wow factor, I can add them without adding any additional weight to the system, it is all programming.

Mainly...because I can, I want to. I make payments on the car, I can do what I please with it.

If anyone here wants to make my paymentsfor me, I would be happy to mod it the way they wanted.

I don't quite understand why I am being asked to justify any addition I make.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:27 PM

Talon I think you should remove your radio because it is just adding more weight and it is a distraction while you are driving. I hope you don't have a cell phone another distraction and a few more pounds to make your car slower.
I wanted a car computer for music, and navi also it would be cheaper and better then buying a navi head unit. more options possibly in the feature for tuning ect.. I don't mean to be and *** talon but you keep coming back to this thread to act like the builder of this car computer put it in so he could play the sims whil driving down the highway and watch next friday while cruising through a school zone or something. From the start of this thread I never read anything about playing video games and dvd movies ecept from you.
just my 2 cents
STOP BEEING SO CRITICAL OF OTHER PEOPLE

And again I love your car computer and I want to put one in my car so I can play me nes emulator and watch **** while driving to work.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
NOT sure if that tower can handle road bumps and awd launches and all taht other good stuff..great idea...not sure about the practical side...great pix...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:49 PM

Very cool setup.
I've been thinking about something similar but with the dvd -rom integrated into the dash. I think that would only be possible if I custom fiberglassed a new panel.
To save space, I would think about a tv/fm tuner for your computer. This would eliminate the radio. An easy (but more expensive) way to do this is to get a four channel amp for your speakers. You can easily get mini-jack to rca adapters to hook up lines from your soundcard to the amp.

Great job.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2Devious
Holes? I made one hole. And it is in the same place everyone makes a hole through their firewall. In the grommet on the passenger side. I must admit though, there was alot (ALOT) of wiring. I minimized it as far as I could and everything is routed very clean.

A laptop is not at all what I wanted for the system. A laptop would be great for someone that wants to hook up only for logging and maybe jack some music into their head unit everyonce in awhile.
I wanted something more permanant.
I don't have to pull a laptop out of someplace everytime I want to get to my music cache.... let alone have the person in my passenger seat hold onto my laptop while I drive.
A laptops screen must be open for the computer to be booted up. Unless it is left in stanby the entire time. Which would cause needless current draw.
This setup may be larger, but in the end it takes up less used space and is less of a hassle.

A laptops screen doesnt have to be open to get a vga output or any other output. Get a laptop with a decent integrated card. You can put a laptop that size in the glove box..... Simply put. how did you mount the box if you didnt make but one hole? I just think that using so much space, wiring, and hassle couldve been compressed with the usage of a laptop. Also, what i meant was, you could use the laptop outside your car as well. Its basically the same as a CPU just not as expandable, but for everyones usage here, but more mobile and stealthy. PLUS I DONT THINK WE HAVE WC3 or what not players that will play in their car, because of how attentative you need to be. if we do.... I THINK that playing that kind of stuff shouldnt be done in your car, deal with playing at home.

The idea was ok, but its too ricey, and used too much un necessary items to install. With a laptop, you can make a laptop box, keep the head unit out, not have to reach under the seat to install a cd unless you want radio. BTW why do yOu u have your pioneer player in there if your computer can act as one, with a tuner ( Usually usb for laptop idea or your desktop)? my guess is you dont want to reach under the seat that often. I dont think people are that interested into the radio if they are looking for high quality sound. Just incase you are whoever said the tv/fm tuner, had a great idea

Im just giving you an opinion. I feel the laptop in your glove box, hooked up to a monitor with some cables from newegg.com wouldve been perfect

good luck

ps- couple ideas for you to check out or others if you wanna think about the laptop idea:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...icture+%2D+OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815167001

If you wanna know how to keep the monitor on when laptop is closed, simply on most laptops hold the function (Fn usually blue or colored) key down and tap f4. This will convert to an external output monitor allowing you display on another screen while your stock screen is still open OR CLOSED. You can also get a wireless optical keyboard and mouse and use this laptop as a tuning device (AEM , movie player, dvd player.
Sound cards can be external as well :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829104001

im sure you can find a 7.1 or one coming soon and have great sound out of this laptop. If you are using too many usb ports and run out get a USB hub.

The possibilities are endless. all depends on what your looking to do. I only recommended it because i got one for my evo, i was preparing to take mine to get tuned but someone vandalized my evo. The damage is well over 10k (waiting to see estimates). If I had it i would show you guys pics. I get it sometime next week. I will start installing stuff and leave pictures of how it comes out. It make be a while ( money is tight for all the accessories).

This kind of stuff is fun ).

Last edited by ThewondererEVO; Sep 22, 2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

wow, awesome!

The only thing I'm concerned about is...the trunk gets really hot from both the weather and from the exhaust, are those really heavy duty fans to cool you computer?

Quick Reply: PC install + pics (big pics)