Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Lojack...is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lojack...is it worth it?

Just wondering if you guys think Lojack is worth it. I know it helps on my insurance in NJ, but otherwise what are your opinions.

I sometimes visit Newark NJ and live relatively close to Trenton...I am NOT saying these are bad areas, but they do have a higher percentage of cars getting stolen/broken into.

thanks
Old May 18, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Lojack will not do anything to prevent someone breaking into your car, it is a recovery system only.

It will however get your car back to you if it is stolen. The only downfall to it is if it was stolen and you did not report it fast enough.

I worked there for a while and there was development into early warning systems though, might be worth a visit to find out.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i was told the early warning is pretty much within 15 minutes, they call you or whatever. So, I kinda might opt for it. who knows. Just extra safety precaution
Old May 18, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Plus, it pays for itself in saving after a few years anyway.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is a good idea. Too bad it isn't available here. I've been to product seminars where they explain how it works and the pros of the system.

Think about how you'd feel if you were driving around in a Lo-Jack dectector equipped car and it went off, leting you know a stolen vehicle was neraby. You'd want to investigate even if it wasn't your car and you weren't police. The police are probably even more hyped about it because it will probably lead them to someone who not only steals cars, but might have drugs, illegal weapons etc...

In other words, there's a big incentive to chase them down. If it was avalable in Alabama, I would have it.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:01 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
In other words, there's a big incentive to chase them down. If it was avalable in Alabama, I would have it.
too bad it is also not available in arkansas
Old May 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Viper GPS is a much more useful setup. Lojack requires the police to have special equipment to track your car, and not everyone has it. Also, Lojack is not a true GPS system, last I knew, and while it will tell you in what direction your car is in, it won't pinpoint its location. So, your car may be north of you, but it could be in Canada. The Viper GPS allows a lot of customization and doesn't need special equipment to use. One very awesome thing about it is that you can choose from different features you want to pay for. In our case, one feature you can choose is for the system to alert you if the car goes out of a certain range or over a specific speed. For those of us leaving the car for maintenance, body work, letting somebody borrow it, whatever the case may be. It also has the "Onstar" type features, so that if you lock your keys in the car you can get it unlocked. You should check it out. http://www.drdetailshop.com/v200.htm Apparently Directed's Viper GPS site is down, but that'll get you started.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Lojak will get you to within 5 feet of the car and there is no subscription for it.
Old May 21, 2007, 04:38 AM

In the event that something happens, you will be glad that you have it.
Old May 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by amnbrueckner
In the event that something happens, you will be glad that you have it.
Yeah, getting your car recovered once will make it worth it. Otherwise someday you will look back on this tread and kick yourself. I think you already know what to do
Old May 30, 2007, 10:19 AM

Both the Lojack and Viper GPS solutions have their ups and downs.

The Lojack systems only involve purchase and activation fees but will only help you recover your car in the coverage areas (no regular alarm). Also, the Lojack early warning system will alert you by phone, text, and e-mail.

The Viper GPS system is more precise, can be used anywhere, has several different alarm triggers, disable the starter, and works in conjuction with other alarm systems, but requires an annual fee and may require extra fees for extra "connections" (each time the system communicates with you or you communicate with the system).
Old May 30, 2007, 07:43 PM

im a police officer and several of our cars our outfitted with lojack systems. A couple things that i can say is that it does work. A stolen vehicle is reported and it basically beeps and gives an arrow in the direction and starts beeping louder and faster the closer u get to the vehicle. As cops we love this stuff because for 1 it allows us to set up on the car safely and effiently because we have ample time to find the car. Sometimes when u run a plate and it comes back stolen you have to travel with the car for a while to wait for backup. I love lojack... and i can tell you that it really does work.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

happy to know it works. I went with it and the added precaution makes me feel better
Old May 30, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

lojack does work. i was a licencsed installer at one point.

the problem is, how long did they have your car before it was reported stolen?

sometimes its best your car isnt found.

the fact is, lojack helps law enforcement catch car thiefs. it saves your insurance company money bc there are few total losses.

thats all great, but most cars that are stolen are highly abused even if it is only for a couple of hours
Old May 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

but......

there are alot of people on here that put alot of money into their cars....
that money is usually lost when a car is stolen. unless you declare all of the modifications with your insurance company and pay a premium for coverage(usually an extremely high one)

Quick Reply: Lojack...is it worth it?