Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Speaker Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LayinLo
JordanS4, please disregard the above post. This is totally untrue to any true audiophile or even competition based system.
Every high end system my friends or I have had installed in our cars had quality speakers all the way around....and those who were piecing together their systems noticed a significant increase in sound quality once they replaced the rears with matching or better than stock speakers (compared with the stockers).

I'm not discrediting your knowledge (as I can see you have through the link you posted ) just not truly agreeing with you on this through my own experience and those of my many friends with systems costing thousands of dollars.

OP......Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy the system you decide on once its installed. Good Luck!
Old Aug 2, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont really have a point of reference for comparison, but i really like the Alpine Type-S's I put in. The install is really easy and they sound good powered off my Pioneer 690 deck. I might power then off a small amp later on and they should sound even better then!
Old Aug 2, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yimke
Power doesn't matter first off... because all of that is supplied by your head unit. But anyways.... Infiniti Kappa Perfect series enough said.

They sing in the highs and blow your ears in the mids, but still some oomph in the lows. Like said above ^^^ buy them on e-bay or a non-standard retailer because mark up is pretty insane on most car-audio stuff.
what are you talking about? you need a multi-channel amp to run door/shelf speakers or else they will sound like crap. there is nothing worse than under-powered speakers and no head unit out there produces enough clean power for speakers.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Every high end system my friends or I have had installed in our cars had quality speakers all the way around....and those who were piecing together their systems noticed a significant increase in sound quality once they replaced the rears with matching or better than stock speakers (compared with the stockers).

I'm not discrediting your knowledge (as I can see you have through the link you posted ) just not truly agreeing with you on this through my own experience and those of my many friends with systems costing thousands of dollars.

OP......Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy the system you decide on once its installed. Good Luck!

It's cool. I wasn't trying to knock your post either. From personal experience in trying to achieve the perfect acoustical reproduction in several previous vehicles, rear speakers destroyed the sound stage. Many top Iasca SQ competitors do not use rear speakers for this reason. The Evo is an audio nightmare in itself, so for most people who are use to having rear fill, rear speakers are almost a necessity.

Originally Posted by JordanS4
LayinLo is there any speaker for less than $200 you would reccomend to mate up to the MB's for the rear? I know that the rear is just for fill like I stated earlier although having the same speakers all around would help I know it's not necessary. If there is a good, bassy 6.5 I can get for the rear for around $100 please LMK otherwise I'll just throw the MB's in there all around.

Thanks guys. I know all of these threads are subjective whoever has a pair will say they are the best. I just needed a jumpstart into what I should look for. After all, no one buys black if their favorite color is white.

You should be pleased with the Quarts. They can be bright at times as most higher end speakers tend to get when the tweeter is mounted up high (in the a-pillar). They will last you a long time and will sound great even with the windows down. When I say sound great I mean that they can still provide accurate sound reproduction.

Listen to a couple of different sets if you can. Thats always the best way to determine if a speaker will live up to your expectations.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

You will have much much MUCH more sound with an amplifer on your stock speakers rather than no amp and aftermarket speakers. Power is loudness, power is clearity, the driver itself is a sound preference.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:00 PM

I would look for a JL Audio dealer near u that sells their product at MAP. Then have them let u hear the VR650-csi components w/ the crossover network for the front, and TR650-cxi coaxials for the rear fill, then u will be spending $450 for all 4 speakers, $50 over the budget but well spent! And thats w/ full warrenty!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:04 PM

But what DontRevMe said is true, about amplifying your stock speakers is better then no amp on aftermarket. But u can always invest in a 4 channel in the future.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try to recomend people to go with a speaker that has a 2ohm load for the rear speakers. Here's why:
Most radios are designed to run at 4ohms per channel. When it comes to the rear speakers, your radio has to push the signal through all the wire running from the front to the back. The more wire you have to push a signal through(or electricity) the more resistance you have. If you measure the impedance of the speaker at the terminals itself, it will read 4ohms. If you measure the impedance behind the radio, it will more than likely read somewhere between 5-6.5ohms depending on the car and such.(At least that's what I have come across.) You picked up 1.5-2ohms of resistance because of all the wire from the radio to the speaker. That means that your radio "sees" 5-6.5ohms, and doesn't power the speaker as well. Now take that 1.5-2ohm gain and apply that to a 2ohm speaker. It puts you at 3.5-4ohms, right where your radio is designed to work. Resulting in more "power" to the rear speakers.

For the audiophiles out there, I have used words that may not be 100% correct, i'm trying to explain it in english as best as I can.