Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Speaker Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaker Recommendations

I'm currently running an Alpine 9857 headunit with the stock speakers and want some with enough power and clarity to sound good even with all 4 windows down on the highway.

Any recommendations or tips for install? I have a IX no SSL. Also looking to spend around $400 for all 4 speakers. I don't need super expensive Focals, that money belongs in the engine

Thanks,
Jordan
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Quart hands down. I have the PCE-216 up front and rear. The tweeters are mountable in the woofer for the rear. Check ebay that's where I got mine. The best bang for the buck. Retail is ridiculous on those. Buy them on ebay.

Last edited by Dade County; Jul 30, 2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kenwood Excelon's are better.... I have these in my doors http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12181

Top Mount Depth: 2 9/16 Inches
Sensitivity: 93 dB
RMS Power Range : 2-60 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 240 Watts
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Frequency response: 25-40000 Hz
Design: 2 Way
Woofer Composition: PBO
Tweeter Composition: PPTA
Diameter: 6.75 Inch

Something Like this in the rear shelf
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14424

Sensitivity: 88 dB
RMS Power Range : 8-125 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 250 Watts
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Low Frequency response: 30 Hz
High Frequency Response: 500 Hz
Diameter: 6.75 Inch

Gonna need an amp...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Power doesn't matter first off... because all of that is supplied by your head unit. But anyways.... Infiniti Kappa Perfect series enough said.

They sing in the highs and blow your ears in the mids, but still some oomph in the lows. Like said above ^^^ buy them on e-bay or a non-standard retailer because mark up is pretty insane on most car-audio stuff.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have the MB Quartz all the way around....sounds awesome...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, I worked at BB Car Audio for about a year so I'm familiar with all the low end stuff but haven't looked into MB's or anything of that nature.

Yimke, by power I meant speakers with more power handling because the stock speakers seem to not like the 18 w rms they're getting.

I've heard the factory tweeters are solidered on? Is this true?

Last edited by JordanS4; Jul 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Trust me dude. Even Quarts low end is sick. Just listen to the quality. Especially if you are into acoustics i.e. guitar, rock, country... They are awesome in any genre, but especially impressive when it comes to clarity. For the price, the premium series is the way to go. I tell you what dude... What I do, go to a higher end car audio shop, and ask the tech's and reps what they run in their car. That's how you get your best and most honest answer. If they deal with it everyday and put it in their car, than that should tell you something. Then in most instances you can find a reliable, trustworthy seller to purchase from on the internet and save hundreds. I saved an astounding 300 PER PAIR on my Quarts. Goes to show you how people can be shady and put unbelievable mark-ups on products.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Dade,

I found the PCE-216's for $199 a pair online. I think I'll run these in the front, not sure what to run in the back I know I could run these with the tweeter in the cone but I don't want to spend another $200 if I don't have to (rear is just for fill, never have passengers)
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your rears are just as important as your fronts.......crappy rear speakers will unbalance your system especially with the higher quality pair you will install up front. You can still get a cheaper pair of speakers (if you have to) that will sound way better than stock to help round out the system....otherwise I would recommend the same 4 speakers all the way around....
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Mb Quartz All Around It Is!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Your rears are just as important as your fronts.......crappy rear speakers will unbalance your system especially with the higher quality pair you will install up front. You can still get a cheaper pair of speakers (if you have to) that will sound way better than stock to help round out the system....otherwise I would recommend the same 4 speakers all the way around....
i agree
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Trust me you will love them. I promise.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Your rears are just as important as your fronts.......crappy rear speakers will unbalance your system especially with the higher quality pair you will install up front. . . . . . .

JordanS4, please disregard the above post. This is totally untrue to any true audiophile or even competition based system.

But, you will most likely enjoy rear speakers as well because most people are used to hearing them. They actually raise the sound stage in most instances.

Check this thread. It may help some: Which Speakers?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
Kenwood Excelon's are better.... I have these in my doors http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12181
Just because you have them they are better Come on man MB Quart is in a whole other league compared to ANYTHING kenwood has to offer. I suppose Sony is better than Focal too right? I would suggest listening to some of the MB Quarts and then saying kenwood is better. On another note the Focal Polyglass V2 is very good sounding, may be a tiny bit more money but worth it possible. Either way Quarts, Focal, even some of the newer Polk stuff is very well.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

LayinLo is there any speaker for less than $200 you would reccomend to mate up to the MB's for the rear? I know that the rear is just for fill like I stated earlier although having the same speakers all around would help I know it's not necessary. If there is a good, bassy 6.5 I can get for the rear for around $100 please LMK otherwise I'll just throw the MB's in there all around.

Thanks guys. I know all of these threads are subjective whoever has a pair will say they are the best. I just needed a jumpstart into what I should look for. After all, no one buys black if their favorite color is white.

Quick Reply: Speaker Recommendations