Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Installed new sub in SSL box....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Installed new sub in SSL box....

Well I installed a new MTX sub in the stock SSL box the other day, and powered it with a fosgate amp. It sounded dead at first, so I took the box back apart and filled it with batting matierial ( the stuff inside a pillow) and it sounds a hundred times better. It has pretty good bass for an 8" but not too much, and the best part is that everything still looks stock!

For those of you wondering, I have an alpine head unit with subwoofer control. I didn't try the speaker with the SSL amp, so I don't know what that woul sound like. If you install a new speaker you have to trim some of the plastic to get the woofer to fit properly. I also put weather stripping around the speaker for better sealing, cause it wasn't a perfect fit. All and all I am pleased for $140 worth of equipment.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you did well!

Polyfill in an enclosure dampens reflections and breaks backwave inside the enclosure, allowing the woofer to behave like it's in a larger box.

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks...

Also for those that will wonder "wonder where he ran the power wire for the amp?" I ran it through the passenger side firewall. There is a rubber grommet that will pop right out behind the strut tower. I popped that out and made a hole a tad smaller than my wire. Fed the wire through and popped the grommet back in. If you take your glovebox out you can see where the hole is and you will be able to slide the wire where you need it to go.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I've been considering this since I bought my EVO so I'm glad to hear you made it work. Nice job and thanks for posting! I've been into large enclosures with 3+ woofers in the past on other vehicles but just can't see putting a setup like that in my EVO. I'll be doing this at some point

Tom
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah it was weird, because when I was contemplating this I searched forever trying to find someone who had done this before. I could only find one post where someone had replaced the speaker but they didn't post how it ended up sounding.

Check crutchfields outlet and scratch and dent sales, cause they usually have some good prices on 8" woofers, unless you know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I did the same but hadn't gotten around to just trying it yet. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that section out on Crutchfield.

Tom
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

No problem... by the way Pauls evo looked sick as hell at BOTI last weekend, too bad he broke : (
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah that thing gets it done! He'll be back and better than ever as always

Tom
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:38 AM

The stock ssl infinity amp does not sound very good with an aftermarket deck. I have a pioneer head unit that pushes 50 x 4, and because I went through Best buy and their installers didn't know what they were doing, they said I couldn't use the stock amp because of the DIN connection. I actually found an adapter for it, but it sounded worse with the amp than without. The stock amp definitly did not have enough power to run a decent sub. Granted my system doesn't look stock but I can have it removed in about 5 minutes and I still have the spare.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I just use the SSL amp to power the door speakers and the rear speakers and a separate amp for the sub.... Of course I used the MITAH adapter for the alpine deck install, so it was hastle free.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

you got any pics?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

nope sorry... it was pretty straight forward install....
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, you have to use the MITAH adapter to run any external amp. . .my alpine sounds amazing with the stock infinity amp. . .I've been considering the swap for the sub. . .

could you write up step by step or is it literally:
1. Take existing sub out
2. Unplug wiring of inifinity sub from stock infinity amp
3. Install new sub, run wire to head unit if it has a dedicated sub line
4. Seal up new box.

I'm an audio amateur at best, so add detail as needed - Admins, could we make this a sticky since as the OP pointed out, there is a dearth of information re removal and installation of a new sub in the stock ssl sub place. . .
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:55 AM

thought about doing this just havent gotten around to it yet!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

whats the deepest sub you can put in a stock box?? i just bought a 8 inch sub but it was 5 inch deep..doesn't fit...

Quick Reply: Installed new sub in SSL box....