Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Gas guage problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas guage problem

Hey guys I am sort of new here so i hope i am posting this in the correct location.. I just sold my evo today and I have aquired another evo in southern california. I am flying there Saturday morning and making the trip back to my home in Utah.

My question is about the gas guage. It is innaccurate. Meaning when it gets to the quarter tank line, it's actuall empty. Do I need to replace the fuel sender unit or do you think I have an issue with the cluster?

Thanks in advance. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. I wouldn't want to run out of gas near death valley or bakersfield on the way home
Old Sep 22, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My gauge is really close to being accurate. My fuel light comes on just above E. The best way to check the sender is to do an ohm test or run the tank down to a quarter tank of fuel and pull one of the senders up and look in the tank. The passenger side sender is easy to get out. The pump side can be a little ticky so if you just want to peek in I would do the passenger side. The fuel gauge might be off if someone bent one of the senders changing a fuel pump. The ECU tells the fuel gauge what to display so if it's off it's usually one of the senders.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:28 PM

I pulled the sender unit and nothing physical seems to be wrong with it. The floater pivots just fine. i guess i can replace that then go from there. Thanks for the reply, does anone else have any thoughts?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:18 PM

You have to run a resistance test to be sure and compare it to specifications.

A malfunctioning sender will appear to pivot fine but may create an incorrect ohm reading.

This is about a week old, any news?

~Tom
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:52 AM

somebody probly damaged it when putting in a walbro or something since its such a ***** to get out, I'd just replace the assembly with one from a totalled part out or something...but i would test it first using a buddies assembly to be sure thats the problem...