Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they look cool!!!

and does it really matter if there legal just don't get pulled over??
Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my takayas are FIA approved, then even got a lil tag on them and everything
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
my takayas are FIA approved, then even got a lil tag on them and everything
Just make sure you also mount them in an FIA approved manner too...you can suffer from compressed spine, broken collarbones, etc. if they're not set up properly
Old Dec 22, 2007, 05:38 AM

of course its street legal. Keeps u safe right? lol the safer the better, just dont tell them u were racing lol
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this already, but despite the fact that they are cool and feel good, and can be more of a hassle to get out of the way then in and out of for daily use, harnesses can be dangerous on the street. Yes, if you have a cage they will keep you from moving around in the cabin as much as a regular seatbelt, possibly enough to prevent you from hitting your head on the cage, BUT, they also do not allow for much, if any, movement to absorb an impact. This can result in very bad whiplash or even a completely broken neck in the even of a collision/accident of any kind since all of the force is transferred to your neck because your torso is more stationary and unable to move with the impact like with a regular seatbelt. this is why seatbelts are designed the way they are. I drove around on the street with my harness for a few weeks, loving the feel, until a good friend of mine pointed this out. He has extensive neck and back injuries from racing shifter karts, and has a full fledged HANS device in his race car, so he does know what he is talking about, and is paying the price for spinal injuries for the rest of his life.

I know may people won't buy this because they figure it's safe on the track so it's safe on the street, but the fact is, to protect your neck properly you should have one of those helmet support donut things, and the types of impacts on the track tend to be very different in nature than those in an intersection.

so, street legal or not, harnesses can be dangerous on the street.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this already, but despite the fact that they are cool and feel good, and can be more of a hassle to get out of the way then in and out of for daily use, harnesses can be dangerous on the street. Yes, if you have a cage they will keep you from moving around in the cabin as much as a regular seatbelt, possibly enough to prevent you from hitting your head on the cage, BUT, they also do not allow for much, if any, movement to absorb an impact. This can result in very bad whiplash or even a completely broken neck in the even of a collision/accident of any kind since all of the force is transferred to your neck because your torso is more stationary and unable to move with the impact like with a regular seatbelt. this is why seatbelts are designed the way they are. I drove around on the street with my harness for a few weeks, loving the feel, until a good friend of mine pointed this out. He has extensive neck and back injuries from racing shifter karts, and has a full fledged HANS device in his race car, so he does know what he is talking about, and is paying the price for spinal injuries for the rest of his life.

I know may people won't buy this because they figure it's safe on the track so it's safe on the street, but the fact is, to protect your neck properly you should have one of those helmet support donut things, and the types of impacts on the track tend to be very different in nature than those in an intersection.

well said
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
Account Disabled

what happen to your stock seat/ do you want sell it?

http://www.driftinks.com
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

ill sell mine
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:03 AM

It all depends on your local laws. Many times it is perfectly legal, but it is a magnet for cops and tickets when they see it even if you are not breaking the law...
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

very nicely said^^
thank you sir you have convinced me stockers ftw
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't get me wrong, harnesses are GREAT for the track and AutoX, as long as they are installed properly. I just don't want anyone to suffer injuries on the street for something as unnecessary as a "street harness". And have you ever tried to look over your shoulder while merging lanes while wearing a harness? It's not always the easiest thing to do. So yes, definitely use a good, properyly installed harness on track, and tuck it away in favor of the stock seatbelts for the street
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

don't get me wrong, harnesses are GREAT for the track and AutoX, as long as they are installed properly. I just don't want anyone to suffer injuries on the street for something as unnecessary as a "street harness". And have you ever tried to look over your shoulder while merging lanes while wearing a harness? It's not always the easiest thing to do. So yes, definitely use a good, properyly installed harness on track, and tuck it away in favor of the stock seatbelts for the street
Good call. Also I believe that when you have a regular seat belt it allows you to duck if you start to roll (without a roll cage this is a problem.)
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:34 PM

ya my friend uses his scroth one and so does his parents they are obsessed with them they arent a big hassle to use on the street but hokiruu is right
but luckly where i live there are barley any cops or bad accidents i have seen plus i dont drive like ******* in order 2 really put myself in a risk catagory in my state everyone here generally drives well enough
but i will be using a scroth one in my evo when i get one
but i do understand the riskes

the people who use "racing harnesses" cuz they are cool are also the people who use $200 a pair crappy "racing" seats so they will die in any kind of crash as it is...no need to worry about ricers they thin themselves out well enough

Last edited by AvengingRomance; Feb 25, 2009 at 08:36 PM.