Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm problems

so a few months ago (before i relocated battery to trunk) my immobilizer kicked on, obviously leaving me stranded. I disco'd the battery (pc680) and let it sit for a while. Hooked it back up, jumped the car and was good to go.

About a week ago, I parked my car, shut it off, and all of a sudden the door *ding* started and all my dummy lights went on..including the immobilizer. Tried to start the car and obviously it just cranked and didn't start. So there was nothing i could do really so i just went into class. Came out about 1 1/2 hr later and everything was fine. Thought the previous problem was just because of a constant low voltage problem with the mini battery.

So today, my alarm decides to go off for no apparent reason, and will not turn off. Actually, it wasn't beeping, it was a constant blaring of the horn. I ran and got a wrench and disco'd the battery....

So, any chance there's something i can check myself or am i going to have to get it to the stealership? Any help at all is appreciated, thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

no, factory alarm.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe a bad ignition switch?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
no, factory alarm.
Last time I checked, Evos did not come with factory alarms. None of them. So either you have an aftermarket alarm system or you dont have an alarm at all.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

the IMMOBILIZER kicked on...then today the horn started blaring along with the immobilizer being activated. The security is stock.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Are you the original owner of the vehicle. If not, how long have you owned it? Have you installed anything electronic recently (besides the battery)? Sounds like a problem within the ignition harness or anny connectors under the dash related to the ignition. Where is Berea?

Last edited by NoTec; Feb 17, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

im not the original owner...like i said, the immobilizer has kicked on before. I just thought it was a problem connected with the mini battery issues i was having, per info from the dealership.

Having thought about it, i remember recently reading about a connector behind the drivers side kick panel that has a problem with corrosion...maybe thats it? I'll check that out tomorrow. And no other electronic upgrades.

Berea is in Ohio...i've linked this thread in the regional forum also
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
Having thought about it, i remember recently reading about a connector behind the drivers side kick panel that has a problem with corrosion...maybe thats it? I'll check that out tomorrow.
Good luck. The reason I dont thnk its the ignition cylinder/switch is because you said your horn goes bonkers sometimes. A bad switch could explain the lights on the dash but not the other symptoms. A short in the ignition harness or a bad/corroded connector plug or two can explain everything else. The immobilizer control module may also be connected to any one of the faulty connectors. If it does not see the correct power and signal wires, it doesnt let you start the car. You may want to check for flood damage by looking for water marks or excessive rust in the kick panels of the car.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

what immobilizer? like chipped key immobilizer? explain please
Old Feb 20, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

i'm not well versed with the factory security but it has immobilizer, and it is tripped for some reason...

i checked the wire harnesses on the drivers side kick panel and they all look fine....does no one have any idea on what else i could check?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the immoblizer kicks on? Is there a light or something?

Have you done anything where you could have possibly disconnected/damaged a ground wire anywhere? My friend and I did some work on his car once and forgot to connect some random *** ground wire, and the car acted crazy like the blinkers worked in the opposite direction, only one headlight worked, the buzzer was on constantly, stuff like that.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the immoblizer kicks on? Is there a light or something?

Have you done anything where you could have possibly disconnected/damaged a ground wire anywhere? My friend and I did some work on his car once and forgot to connect some random *** ground wire, and the car acted crazy like the blinkers worked in the opposite direction, only one headlight worked, the buzzer was on constantly, stuff like that.
I've never seen mine kick on but it would ether have a green key illuminate on the cluster or the word immobilizer in red illuminate. A bad or faulty main ground in a kick panel, under the dash, or in the center console area could very well cause these problems. Good suggestion.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

yeah this is a dummy light for the immobilizer...when it happened before i called the dealer and described the light and he confirmed it was the immobilizer. I told him that i had a mini battery and it was dead all the time. He told me that the constant low voltage from the battery being dead could cause systems in the car to fail, including the security.

i've since put a full size battery in the trunk. Everything has been good until a couple of weeks ago when the immobilizer kicked on. I was on my way to class, so i had to leave it...when i came back out 1 1/2 hr later it was fine. then a couple of days ago this problem started again.

Quick Reply: alarm problems