Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 9 and IPhone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you can actually use a FM modulator that taps into you line-in of you antenna cable cord, because that is much most installer usually do when they hook up overhead screen players to listen to their movie in the car speakers. So you can probably pick it up at any electronic retail store its way better then using a wireless FM adapter that you plug into a cigarette lighter.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Why spend all this money for sub sounding audio? Why not just get another deck? I don't see the problem with a deck that was made with the iPod in mind. The Alpine 9886 is amazing, sounds great, lets you browse your iPod easily, hooks up easily.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 08:47 AM

already went over that...it makes the car more likely to being broken into and doesnt look good to me. Ill look into that cable maybe their cheaper now...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Your car won't be broke into if you take the face plate out every night. It's not a big deal. Not sure why you would think the Alpine decks look worse than the factory head unit, the factory head unit is one of the most ugly head units I've ever seen. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

If I were you, I'd go to your local audio shop. I know they have some hacks like the antenna wire that is a bit cheaper... like 30-50 bucks cheaper. Just remember, you get what you pay for. When it comes to an aftermarket head unit, you get so much better sound quality.

Good luck
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

true Ill look into it thanks bro
Old Sep 6, 2008, 01:18 PM

Glad to hear someone else likes the look of factory head units--I go for simple and stealthy. I've looked in a ton of catalogs of aftermarket radios, and they all have flashing blue lights and little plastic buttons and that sort of thing. I'm probably just older and grumpier than the target market of those things. I'm not sure how much value there is in the faceplate, because thieves know so many people just put them under the seat or in the glovebox. I suppose they might still break the window to get in, but at least they wouldn't tear apart your dash trying to get the radio out if they can't find the faceplate.

A few months ago, I saw my girlfriend's dad solder a wire into a cheap CD boombox to attach his iPod. I suppose if you were prepared to buy a new head unit anyways, and since the old unit will be just about worthless anyways, you could try to tap into the preamp circuit, and if you fry the head unit, then buy the shiny new Alpine...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

lol true...Im not into the look of those flashing blue lights or red lights that match the dash...they still look cheap to me
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:57 AM

jsut getta new deck