Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

perrin short shifter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perrin short shifter

So I recently bought the Perrin short shifter and had a few questions about the install.

I'm currently referencing this thread for the install but the OP never mentioned the huge metal spacers included with the kit. The instructions call for:

Use supplied spacers under the back 2 mounting points of the shifter box. Use longer supplied bolts. Tighten to factory
spec.

But, I have not seen anyone use these in their installs or how they used it. Compared to the stock rubber mounters they're rather tall.

Any help would be awesome, thanks

edit:
So I tried to order these short shifter parts from my local Capital Mitsu, here in the Bay Area and they claim that their system does not register the parts as EVO specific

MR246296 Retainer,gearshif <they don't have part number
MR232147 Bushing,gearshift <not for an evo

But after some research, most retailers do carry these parts and they are listed as an evo part... Weird....

Last edited by darkunitzero; Feb 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You should use the taller bushings to lift the shifter cage up slightly to allow better alignment of the lower shifter cable. The Fidanza and eBay short-shifter kits also come with taller bushings for this reason. Here are Perrin's instructions: http://perrinperformance.com/shared/.../pepinr200.pdf

The part numbers you listed are correct. Required (unless you want to cut your stock shifter in half) is 1 x MR246296. 2 x MR232147 is optional, but it makes installation easier since you don't have to remove them from your stock shifter and risk damaging them. They may not be Evo-specific though, I think the newer Eclipse and regular Lancers use the same shifter assembly as the VIII/IX.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation, I ordered the necessary parts.

The kit I received came with 4 metal spacer instead of 2 called for by the instructions. So again, thanks for clearing that up as well.