Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

blown ssl sub

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown ssl sub

Hey can anybody tell me what 8" sub I can get that will be a direct swap into the ssl box? Thankyou!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:46 AM

i dunno if its the same one as the IX but if it is i can sell you mine. i just took out my sub (still in ssl box) to upgrade a couple weeks ago.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I just need the speaker please pm me a price shiped to 32951 thanks
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

is there anything aftermarket that dosent require more amplification than what the stock amp has to offer and fits in the ssl box? im guessing the answer is probably no, I know most people just upgrade, but I dont have the money and honestly I would just rather keep the infinity system stock, in my old car I had 2 12" jl w6 v2's in a ported box for about 4 years, so im done with loud bass! is there anyone that has been or is in the same situation?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know how much space is in the SSL box, but my current plan is to remove the stock infinity sub, lay down some fiberglass inside the plastic subwoofer box to reinforce it, then probably try to fit a Soloclassic 8" in there. There are probably other subs that would work, but my brother gets Kicker stuff at his work for 70% off so it kind of made it an easy choice for me.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by max4rw
is there anything aftermarket that dosent require more amplification than what the stock amp has to offer and fits in the ssl box? im guessing the answer is probably no,
Need a lot more info: displacement of the enclosure, is it a sealed box (?), the load that the original driver present to the amp - it is measured in Ohms - and any other specs you can find. Look what's written on the woofer, itself. We also need to know the allowable depth in the enclosure. If you can post this info, we may be able to find you a better than stock replacement.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I don't know how much space is in the SSL box, but my current plan is to remove the stock infinity sub, lay down some fiberglass inside the plastic subwoofer box to reinforce it, then probably try to fit a Soloclassic 8" in there. There are probably other subs that would work, but my brother gets Kicker stuff at his work for 70% off so it kind of made it an easy choice for me.
I don't know if I'd go with a Soloclassic. Let me tell you why. The stock drivers are all very sensitive. They have to be to work with the stock amplification. This driver represents the opposite of sensitivity. You'll hardly get a peep out of it with the stock amp. Too, unless an effort is made to match the stock driver's impedance characteristics, its crossover point will be altered. As I posted above, we can try and find a better option.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

if you want to sell that blown ssl box let me know!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I don't know if I'd go with a Soloclassic. Let me tell you why. The stock drivers are all very sensitive. They have to be to work with the stock amplification. This driver represents the opposite of sensitivity. You'll hardly get a peep out of it with the stock amp. Too, unless an effort is made to match the stock driver's impedance characteristics, its crossover point will be altered. As I posted above, we can try and find a better option.

I probably should have elaborated more. My plan is just to utilize the factory enclosure just to make it look factory. I plan on ditching the factory amp and speakers. My plan was to get a 5 channel (Kicker offers one that is 85x4 and 420x1) that I think would really suit my needs. This is just my basic plan as I haven't started to build my system as of yet. If I find the factory enclosure will not work more than likely I will be making my own fiberglass enclosure. I'm just trying to keep weight to a minimum and keep it as factory looking as possible.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Need a lot more info: displacement of the enclosure, is it a sealed box (?), the load that the original driver present to the amp - it is measured in Ohms - and any other specs you can find. Look what's written on the woofer, itself. We also need to know the allowable depth in the enclosure. If you can post this info, we may be able to find you a better than stock replacement.
its the stock ssl sealed box mounting depth is 4.25 inches, I have no idea what the ohm rating of the stock woofer or rms, it dosent say anywhere on it. the only info I could gather about the stock amp is that it pushes out 315 wats for the whole stereo system in the car. with that said, I have ordered an after market 8'infinity sub 4ohms 250 watt rms with a 5'3/16 mounting depth (i know im gonna have to do some fab work to make it fit) im sure the sub will be underpowered a little bit but if it ends up working, it will be alot better then trying to get a used old stock woofer that will probably fail again. Im crossing my fingers that this will work but hey if it dosent i will just return it! if I end up being successful! I will post pics on how to fab this woofer into the stock ssl sealed enclosure.

Last edited by max4rw; May 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by max4rw
I have no idea what the ohm rating of the stock woofer...
Put a multimeter on its terminals.

...or rms, it dosent say anywhere on it. the only info I could gather about the stock amp is that it pushes out 315 wats for the whole stereo system in the car. with that said, I have ordered an after market 8'infinity sub 4ohms 250 watt rms with a 5'3/16 mounting depth (i know im gonna have to do some fab work to make it fit) im sure the sub will be underpowered a little bit but if it ends up working, it will be alot better then trying to get a used old stock woofer that will probably fail again. Im crossing my fingers that this will work but hey if it dosent i will just return it! if I end up being successful! I will post pics on how to fab this woofer into the stock ssl sealed enclosure.
Is this the sub you ordered?

http://www.woofersetc.com/p8059/REF8...-Subwoofer.htm

If it doesn't work out for you, give this driver a shot. You can get it for less:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL+GTO804.html
Old May 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

yes that is the one and I actually was able to get it for less than that jbl. on amazon.com i will keep you posted with how it turns out should have the sub by Wednesday. thanks for looking that up as it could be another alternative if this dosent work out!
Old May 1, 2010, 09:33 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

I probably should have elaborated more. My plan is just to utilize the factory enclosure just to make it look factory. I plan on ditching the factory amp and speakers. My plan was to get a 5 channel (Kicker offers one that is 85x4 and 420x1) that I think would really suit my needs. This is just my basic plan as I haven't started to build my system as of yet. If I find the factory enclosure will not work more than likely I will be making my own fiberglass enclosure. I'm just trying to keep weight to a minimum and keep it as factory looking as possible.
I can only say that I tested a number of 8" drivers from ID, JBL, eD, and ARC. Once you start feeding power into such a small cone area, two things happen - noise and distortion. I don't want to discourage you from taking on this project, and I'd hate for you to find out that the sub is essentially inaudible at speed. Have you considered using a bigger driver? If you're rebuilding the enclosure, it's something to look into. Regardless, best of luck and please let us know how it turns out.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I can only say that I tested a number of 8" drivers from ID, JBL, eD, and ARC. Once you start feeding power into such a small cone area, two things happen - noise and distortion. I don't want to discourage you from taking on this project, and I'd hate for you to find out that the sub is essentially inaudible at speed. Have you considered using a bigger driver? If you're rebuilding the enclosure, it's something to look into. Regardless, best of luck and please let us know how it turns out.

The stock driver is an 8 isn't it?

I will say that my experience with 8" subwoofers is lacking to say the least. The better way of putting it would be that I have basically no experience with them.

If given the choice there are definitely other companies I would like to get my car audio equipment from. Just for the price that I'm getting the things I plan on getting then it's kind of a no brainer. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but would like a system with a little bit better sound than what I have going on right now.

My brother and I have contemplated using the stock box as a base to build a completely new enclosure. As in make it look similar in outward appearance, but provide more depth inside the enclosure. I would prefer a 10" woofer myself. Considering I listen to very little rap or anything base heavy a small sealed enclosure 10 seems like the perfect fit for me. Just making it all work in an aesthetically pleasing package is important to me. Seeing as little of the system as possible is my main goal.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:46 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

The stock driver is an 8 isn't it?

I will say that my experience with 8" subwoofers is lacking to say the least. The better way of putting it would be that I have basically no experience with them.

If given the choice there are definitely other companies I would like to get my car audio equipment from. Just for the price that I'm getting the things I plan on getting then it's kind of a no brainer. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but would like a system with a little bit better sound than what I have going on right now.

My brother and I have contemplated using the stock box as a base to build a completely new enclosure. As in make it look similar in outward appearance, but provide more depth inside the enclosure. I would prefer a 10" woofer myself. Considering I listen to very little rap or anything base heavy a small sealed enclosure 10 seems like the perfect fit for me. Just making it all work in an aesthetically pleasing package is important to me. Seeing as little of the system as possible is my main goal.
If I were you, I'd ask your brother to install a sub in the trunk and then drive around a listen to it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just get an idea of what bass sounds like when the car is moving. Then, I think, he'll be able to offer you more guidance as to the best way to proceed.

Last edited by FJF; May 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: blown ssl sub