Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Upgrading factory system.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading factory system.

Obviously the Evo was never built for much more than performance,but I can't stand the horrible quality of the factory speakers.I'm using a Pioneer P6200BT but the quality didn't seem to get much better messing with the settings. So I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the rear and the front door speakers. I've been searching but I can't find the size of the factory speakers. I don't want the weight of a sub in the trunk,so I figured just a decent amp should help with whatever speakers I use?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynhamik
Obviously the Evo was never built for much more than performance,but I can't stand the horrible quality of the factory speakers.I'm using a Pioneer P6200BT but the quality didn't seem to get much better messing with the settings. So I'd like to upgrade the speakers in the rear and the front door speakers. I've been searching but I can't find the size of the factory speakers. I don't want the weight of a sub in the trunk,so I figured just a decent amp should help with whatever speakers I use?

Any input would be appreciated.
1. Exactly, which setting are you messing with and what do you hear when you change them?

2. Check whether the speakers are wired in phase at the deck.

Edit: almost forgot - the factory speakers are oversized 6.5"; you can get adapters on ebay.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 28, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
1. Exactly, which setting are you messing with and what do you hear when you change them?

Edit: almost forgot - the factory speakers are oversized 6.5"; you can get adapters on ebay.
I was searching this a bit ago. I thought ours were 6.75" and that there were some that would fit without adapters??? I hope so..
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
I was searching this a bit ago. I thought ours were 6.75" and that there were some that would fit without adapters??? I hope so..
Some 6.75" will fit without adapters, but you'll have to drill holes. Same goes for some 7". I guess it all depends on one's comfort level. I saw a guy on the X board taking a jigsaw to his door trying to enlarge the speaker cutouts in the sheetmetal. He's probably not too worried about drilling holes in his car.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 28, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by FJF

I was just messing with the equalizer settings. I guess it sounds a little bit better with the presets it has,but still not so great.

Thanks for the input guys. So basically I can't just find any 6.5" to replace the rears without an adapter?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

I was just messing with the equalizer settings. I guess it sounds a little bit better with the presets it has,but still not so great.
I hope you're not disappointed if it doesn't sound a much better with different speakers. Looking at your mod list, your car is pretty loud. I've written quite a bit about audio in our cars. You can have a look at my other posts, or at the very least add a good amplifier when you install the speakers, if you want to hear music clearly at speed.

Thanks for the input guys. So basically I can't just find any 6.5" to replace the rears without an adapter?
The adapters aren't a big deal. They're inexpensive, they fit perfectly, they're easy to get, and they provide a better surface for the speaker to mount to. Good luck.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
I hope you're not disappointed if it doesn't sound a much better with different speakers. Looking at your mod list, your car is pretty loud. I've written quite a bit about audio in our cars. You can have a look at my other posts, or at the very least add a good amplifier when you install the speakers, if you want to hear music clearly at speed.

The adapters aren't a big deal. They're inexpensive, they fit perfectly, they're easy to get, and they provide a better surface for the speaker to mount to. Good luck.

Actually my car is surprisingly quiet for what it has. But even sitting at idle,the stock speakers sound like crap. Everything is balanced in the settings but it seems like I hear the rear speakers WAY more than the front door speakers. Thats probably what annoys me the most.lol
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:50 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Actually my car is surprisingly quiet for what it has.
Audio doesn't care if your car is quiet for "what it has." Quiet is quiet and our car's don't exactly qualify.

But even sitting at idle,the stock speakers sound like crap. Everything is balanced in the settings but it seems like I hear the rear speakers WAY more than the front door speakers. Thats probably what annoys me the most.lol
You realize that's impossible if everything is truly balanced. The front speakers should sound significantly louder than the rears due to your placement in the driver's seat. Clearly, there's something wrong. In this case, if the speakers are shot, by all means replace them and look forward to better sound. If it's a different issue, then replacing the speakers won't necessarily help.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 28, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

check your wiring on the head unit. Maybe something came loose or not connected right.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:22 AM

^^Ok, I will thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Its the trebles that are awful. The rest might be ok (it's the case on my ralliart atleast). Most hifi will fit together with the high-pass filter (i removed the plastic of the filter for more space) if you just splice into existant cables and use the existant housing (if it's remotely the same as with mine). I just removed the old ones and taped them as they are very light. Easy mod and cheap. I suggest trying this before changing mid-low speakers as it's alot more work aswell. GL

Last edited by gloom; Dec 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:19 AM

So I decided to splurge a little on these yesterday.

I was trying to pick up this Polk 10" sub and box also,but they were out of stock,but said I should be pretty happy with these coaxials.

Thanks again for your help guys. Hopefully these will be going in tomorrow night. I'll most likely be using an old school Alpine V12 4 channel amp.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 02:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

I'll most likely be using an old school Alpine V12 4 channel amp.
It's a good amp. You could do a lot worse.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Actually my car is surprisingly quiet for what it has.
Its all in that HKS turboback. I had a very similar setup but with megan dp and stock o2 and it sounded surprisingly quiet. Cops never thought I was catless.

Still, its relatively loud. Especially the drone.