Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

compustar remote start over cranking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compustar remote start over cranking

so i took my car to the alarm place and they did the top of the line alarm remote start combo. after i got the car back i tok it home and payed no mind. so the next morning i remote started the car and it was cranking to long and the car was on. so i took the car back and they said they will fix it. i come back to pick u the car and they said it was all set and that the car was connected thru the injector as a tach wire setup. i was like ok great. it still does that problem. they said they called compustar and that thats how it is. i kno this isn't right it will kill my started over time. can anybody chime in on this?this video is what i am dealing with.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Mine does the same thing with my DEI setup. I got told "ya know, these cars Arnt made to have remote start"

So now I just don't use it I took mine to several places and the tried joking it to a tach signal, and to seconds interval. No fix.

If you figure it out, let me know.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sometimes in the setup menu it will let you change how long you want the start to crank for. Try looking at the manual and see if that's an option
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'd have the installer check the crank time on the vehicle. It's not an option that would be in a setup menu, it's in the programing part. I'd take it back to the shop and ask them if they tried a lower crank time.

On my DEI remote start I have my crank time at the default minimum and have had no problem with it over cranking.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

This is not normal or acceptable!! I've installed literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of remote starts mostly dei but compustars as well.
Crank time is irrelevant as it is not used when a tach wire is used. From my experience evo's coils and injectors don't put out a real clean tach signal. A way to test for this; for Compustar:

Start the vehicle with the key, press and hold the foot brake, and then press and hold the start button (1way) or button 2 (2way) for 2.5 sec. The parking lights will then flash to show whether or not the Tach Signal was learned:
1 parking light flash – Tach Signal accepted
3 parking light flashes – Tach Learn error
If you receive the Tach Learn error flashes it will be followed by a series of diagnostic flashes:
1 Option 2-10 is not in default setting 1
2 Key is in the off position
3 Bad tach signal. Find a different wire for Evos, the best wire is the tach wire located at the Ecu under the glovebox.

For DEI alarms:
Start the car with a key, push and hold the valet button until the led lights up solid blue, this should take less than 30 sec. If the light fails to light find another tach wire, the best wire is the tach wire located at the Ecu under the glovebox.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Marcac
This is not normal or acceptable!! I've installed literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of remote starts mostly dei but compustars as well.
Crank time is irrelevant as it is not used when a tach wire is used. From my experience evo's coils and injectors don't put out a real clean tach signal. A way to test for this; for Compustar:

Start the vehicle with the key, press and hold the foot brake, and then press and hold the start button (1way) or button 2 (2way) for 2.5 sec. The parking lights will then flash to show whether or not the Tach Signal was learned:
1 parking light flash – Tach Signal accepted
3 parking light flashes – Tach Learn error
If you receive the Tach Learn error flashes it will be followed by a series of diagnostic flashes:
1 Option 2-10 is not in default setting 1
2 Key is in the off position
3 Bad tach signal. Find a different wire for Evos, the best wire is the tach wire located at the Ecu under the glovebox.

For DEI alarms:
Start the car with a key, push and hold the valet button until the led lights up solid blue, this should take less than 30 sec. If the light fails to light find another tach wire, the best wire is the tach wire located at the Ecu under the glovebox.
Marcac you are a life saver its worked perfect. i dont like how they wired the tach wire to what looks like the injector. what would you recommend is the "cleanest" tach signal? i want to move it cuz its a yellow and black wire just running randomly outside the wire harness right dead center of my engine bay.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

At the ecu below the glovebox.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm
Pin 58 in this diagram. I think this wire green but not 100% on that.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:07 PM

thanx so much for the help. i took the car back to them to program 1min turbo timer. that is the lowest time i can set. so my issue now is they say that once i shut my door there is no 10 sec delay to reenter if need be because of the turbo timer. is this correct? the doors dont lock unless i lock it with remote but if i open the door right after i shut it then it will kick out of reservation mode. seems weird cuz the turbo timers still running.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Location: 85296, 99519, 96817,98310,07306,10461(HomeSweetHome), & 00739
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikakatk2
thanx so much for the help. i took the car back to them to program 1min turbo timer. that is the lowest time i can set. so my issue now is they say that once i shut my door there is no 10 sec delay to reenter if need be because of the turbo timer. is this correct? the doors dont lock unless i lock it with remote but if i open the door right after i shut it then it will kick out of reservation mode. seems weird cuz the turbo timers still running.
For reservation mode, after setting all parameters the drivers door will be the last one close. Turbo Timer will still run and reservation will be in place. Any interruption such as any door being open will cancel reservation mode.
I make sure I grab everything I need before closing the drivers door and then I realize I forget something like my phone then I go through the whole simple process in putting the car in reservation mode. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:12 PM

yes i thought it was weird how i lose the 10 second autolock feature when entering reservation mode. so your turbo timer being on disables the auto lock and you have to hit the lock button on the remote?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:42 PM

I asked my guy about that, because they made it start longer. The guy it's for cold starts....I will get back to you on the proper terminology for that.
What did you get by the way?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:45 PM

I have a viper alarm system and I have the remote start for 3 minutes. You can get in and out as many times with the remote function still available, as long as you are within the time frame, like mine being 3 minutes. Once it shuts down and you open it, you lose the remote start function, but you can always lock and unlock regardless of anything. You can always remote start and open door and then shut off, once you're done, if you really needed the remote function later on.
I can always ask my install boys at work, since I work at Best Buy.