Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount

I just finished up building my custom mount for an iPhone 5 into an evo IX and figured I'd share. Quick story behind this is I wanted an aux input and nav screen for traveling, but didn't want to give up my gauges to put in a big double din unit, so I designed this little guy to mount in place of the clock and hazard signal (relocated the hazard button to the fog light blank). It also doubles as a nice place to hide my iPass for tollway driving through Illinois (it is tucked in under the lid behind the phone. It uses a belkin bluetooth receiver (Belkin F8Z492-P, $25) to connect to the audio (also plays nav directions through the speakers then which is really handy).

I am really hoping that evoscan gets their iPhone / iPad app up and running, in which case I would like to try connecting a bluetooth OBDII transmitter and logging data on the phone. Not sure how well that will work, but worth a try.

The best part about this mount setup is that it is magnetic and wireless, so you just throw the phone up there and you're good to go. I found this case after a ton of digging around and it works amazingly well.

http://www.studioproper.com/products/iphone-5-mount

I was extremely hesitant about putting a strong magnet next to my phone at first, but I have seen absolutely no ill effects. It also holds extremely sturdy in the mount (almost too tough to get out), so I am not at all worried about it falling out.

The entire system cost me ~$300, most of it was in the cost of 3D printing the mount. If anyone is interested I could probably put together a kit and sell it for around $350 (would just be covering my costs basically, I'm not looking to get rich off this), or if you have a 3D printer I'd be happy to share the model files (as long as you don't rip off my design, took quite a bit of design time ).

Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Thumbnails iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-phone-mount-1.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-phone-mount-2.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-phone-mount-3.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-phone-mount-4.jpg  
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, but the price is very steep IMO for a cell phone mount. I personally use the ProClip mounts now for my iPhone. Although not as flush looking as yours, but it serves the purpose.

Does it charge the phone also?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IronMacEVO
Looks good, but the price is very steep IMO for a cell phone mount. I personally use the ProClip mounts now for my iPhone. Although not as flush looking as yours, but it serves the purpose.

Does it charge the phone also?
Yeah it cost more than I was expecting when I started, but I really couldn't seem to find a better option to get it mounted cleanly and hide the iPass (really didn't want to stick it in my windshield). I'm a huge fan of custom mods that look like they could have been stock.

I have been looking around and found the innovate motorsports OT-2 which looks like it may be the perfect compliment to turn the phone into an AFR gauge and data logger.

Unfortunately it does not charge the phone. I traded the inductive charging for the convenience of the magnetic mount (which is really slick how well that works).
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by blockade35
Yeah it cost more than I was expecting when I started, but I really couldn't seem to find a better option to get it mounted cleanly and hide the iPass (really didn't want to stick it in my windshield). I'm a huge fan of custom mods that look like they could have been stock.

I have been looking around and found the innovate motorsports OT-2 which looks like it may be the perfect compliment to turn the phone into an AFR gauge and data logger.

Unfortunately it does not charge the phone. I traded the inductive charging for the convenience of the magnetic mount (which is really slick how well that works).
I'll give you props for trying out a project like that. That's how great innovators/inventors are born

Have you looked into possibly the PowerMat? not saying that it's a solution for you, but it does offer inductive charging if you use the case. Just a thought
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IronMacEVO
I'll give you props for trying out a project like that. That's how great innovators/inventors are born

Have you looked into possibly the PowerMat? not saying that it's a solution for you, but it does offer inductive charging if you use the case. Just a thought
I did look at those when I built it, and the problem is you need to have the case to go with the mat. That's what I meant when I said I traded the magnetic mount for the inductive charging is that I needed the case to be the magnetic one to pair up with the mount (don't think I can get 2 cases to go on ).

I did consider going with the inductive charging case and just using a clip in mount more similar to the one you mentioned, but really just got hooked on the mag mount.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:17 PM

Ahh, I see that's what you mean by the trade off. How hard is it to draw up something like that, just curious?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Pure computer time was probably only 6-8 hours (using solidworks 2011). Total design time though was probably over 20. The hardest part was getting the profiles of the dash and angles of how the thing plugged in correct. Even with all the time I spent measuring I still had a decent bit if sanding to do when it came in.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Update! The dash mount has been working fantastic for the entire summer now, and in light of this I added a second mount now in the car as well. The car is almost strictly track now, and I am using Harry's lap timer to record data, as well as take video with the iPhone. As such I needed a place to mount the phone that it could look out the front window without being distracting. Enter the magnetic mount round 2. I started with the actual Wallee magnetic suction cup mount for a car, but by the time I was done cutting and hacking I ended up only using a small portion of it, and actually removing the magnets from it and sticking on one of the magnetic sticky discs like the one I used in the dash mount. I used some uber 3M double sided sticky tape we had at work to mount the "ear" to the windshield. When the phone isn't up there you cant even see the ear (one picture is from my line of sight from the drivers seat). It turned out really well, and the video from it is a great angle (see link below).

Sorry the pictures are a bit crappy, and of only the case. The only cameras I have are the iPhone or a GoPro .
Attached Thumbnails iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-photo.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-photo-1-.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-photo-2-.jpg   iPhone 5 Evo IX Custom Mount-photo-3-.jpg  
Old Oct 9, 2013, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ thats an awesome camera angle, nice video!

Any mods on the car?

edit* found your mod sheet!

Last edited by TreatsIX; Oct 9, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TreatsIX
^^^ thats an awesome camera angle, nice video!

Any mods on the car?

edit* found your mod sheet!
Ok cool, I was going to direct you to it. The service/schedule tab shows what actually made it on the car this season. Pretty much stock engine minus the air filter then wheels/tires, brakes, and suspension. Hopefully the whole list will be red by next spring and installed ready to roll!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 04:45 PM

Looks good!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:41 AM

That's a pretty cool way of doing it. I just got a new head unit that is compatible with running iPhone 5 video so I've been looking into making a custom mount for charging/connection to the head unit, but it needs to very sturdy so the magnetic aspect is interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks nice!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have those same VDO gauges (very accurate) and I was going to ask if your Oil temp was dimmer at night than you oil pressure or boost and I see it is
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:19 PM

very nice