Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help! Fog Light/Wiper/High Beam Issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Help! Fog Light/Wiper/High Beam Issue

A few days ago, everything's fine on my car, we had a nice little snowstorm and my fogs/high beams and wipers were working correctly. My car sat for a day in 0*-20* weather and the battery died. I jumped the car, and later that night noticed the fog lights weren't working. After clicking the switch a few times I checked my high beams and they also were not working at all.
I went to try to use the wipers, they don't work on the interval setting, or on high, only on low speed. Also, if you pull the accessory stick in towards the steering wheel, like how you would to turn the highs on, nothing happens. No wiper action (washer tank/motor removed). So now I have only my regular HID's, and one speed of wiper motion. Another thing to note is that my headlights will not turn on when the key is off now.

Here's what I have already done:
•I've checked ALL related fuses twice over
•Checked the wiring around the steering column area to the fuse fusebox for any unplugged clips etc
•Disconnected the battery and retightened it
•Checked plugs/wires at the actual headlight unit
•There is no relays clicking of any type when I try to use these functions

I would very much appreciate anyone's insight into this matter, as I'm at a loss for an idea as to what my issue is. I know someone is going to say to check the relay but after searching a bit I was not able to locate where the relays for the fog/highs/wipers are. It's also weird how some of the accessories work but others don't, and they're in the same fuse. Could the whole steering wheel switch assembly have gotten shorted when I jumped it?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for some help
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Someone has had to have this issue or a similar one!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Help!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this same problem.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you check this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-how-fix.html
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:44 AM

Yep I sure did. But waiting for norm temps so I can replace the harness that runs in the cabin them hard wire everything. The prev owner hacked so many wires and so many time it's a nightmare.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:58 AM

re

you can bypass the multifunction switch by finding what pin controls what feature... using test you can determine if switch is bad.. or voltmeter.. with cold weather and electrical/anything can happen but thats what circuit protectors are for.. i had a civic and replaced alternator belt totally forgot to tighten up a bolt...after couple days of vibration that bolt became use and fell off. that bolt was actually a ground for the alt/ bypassed all my circuit and hit my ecu... sound to me though like your switch gone bad..but test it first..you will have a seperate relay for wipers and high beams.. if it is the same relay as for low beams/ switch them and see if high beams come on.. if they do then your relay shot.. if not you got switch issue or sjb...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:55 AM

I actually lost my break lights just recent ontop of everything else. I ran a new wire from the stop light fuze under the hood to the switch on the pedal and works like new lol. So it's the wires between the fuze box in the engine bay and the fuze box under the dash.
Old May 23, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Ok so, fog lights/wipers/high beams are all back to normal. It ended up being a purple wire above the driverside fender liner became corroded and lost connection. Now I have another issue.

*My brake lights/brake light on dash/turn signals/plate lights/side markers/hazards Do NOT work. Here is what I've replaced:

-Front ECU (in underhood fusebox)
-ETACS ECU (attached to back of inside fusebox. Controls keyless entry/turn signals/hazards/horn)
-I have eliminated the "electrical gremlins" clip and hardwired the harness in the driverside kick panel
-All bulbs replaced
-Fuses are all good. Triple checked
-There is power to the fusebox to the affected fuses, there is power to the brake switch,
-There is no power to the third brake light

I'm at such a loss, it's extremely disheartening. STM's Dyno day is on Sunday and I can't figure this out for the life of me. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old May 24, 2014, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up *Issue Resolved*

Man oh man. What a headache this was, and in all my searching and googling I couldn't find one person with similar issues as mine. Well, at least ones that were updated and resolved.

My turn signal/hazard/brake light issues were all from the harness going from the fusebox to the inner fender well and into the vehicle. Most people find the corrosion at the actual kick panel clip junction.

All of these findings by the way were NOT visible by looking at the harness. I pulled the electrical tape off to do some investigating and discovered corroded exposed wires all the way from the front to almost the area where it enters into the car. A purple wire that was corroded restored my highbeams/wiper speed/foglight issue, an orange corroded wire restored my turn signals and hazard lights, and finally a red corroded wire restored my brake lights.

If you have similar symptoms to mine, grab a voltmeter and don't be afraid to do some digging. Hopefully this thread can be helpful for a fellow enthusiast in the future
Attached Thumbnails Help! Fog Light/Wiper/High Beam Issue-image.jpg  
Old Jun 5, 2014, 07:47 PM

Wow man, i actually have the same issue as you have. My signals nor hazards function. My tech guy said it was the control switch, but ill have him check thisout.

thanks for posting this up!

Originally Posted by AWD96
Man oh man. What a headache this was, and in all my searching and googling I couldn't find one person with similar issues as mine. Well, at least ones that were updated and resolved.

My turn signal/hazard/brake light issues were all from the harness going from the fusebox to the inner fender well and into the vehicle. Most people find the corrosion at the actual kick panel clip junction.

All of these findings by the way were NOT visible by looking at the harness. I pulled the electrical tape off to do some investigating and discovered corroded exposed wires all the way from the front to almost the area where it enters into the car. A purple wire that was corroded restored my highbeams/wiper speed/foglight issue, an orange corroded wire restored my turn signals and hazard lights, and finally a red corroded wire restored my brake lights.

If you have similar symptoms to mine, grab a voltmeter and don't be afraid to do some digging. Hopefully this thread can be helpful for a fellow enthusiast in the future
Old Jun 5, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I now have a good spare ETACS ECU and Front ECU if anyone is in need.

I'm glad this can be helpful for others, electrical issues always create the most despair
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks so much the purple wire fixed my high beams fogs and wipers to work normal again got to take out my switches I had wired in to make them work again.