Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Major engine problem?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes IC pipes will whistle. Mine used to whistle while off boost in my WRX. If it is a screaming type noise, then probably have a boost leak.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing it's a boost leak, you got any other mods?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

It is the gasket between your turbo housing and your lower IC piping. Take it off and apply some silicon and put it back together. Let it dry for a couple of hours and you'll be good to go.

Matt
Old Oct 2, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed, that gasket or connection point is sensitive and if you warp your flange to the outlet ,will be a pain to fix... Mine was a bit of a pain to install simply because the wastegate touched the lower pipe and if you try to tighten the flange down with the wastegate not moved guaranteed you will warp the flange since the wastegate is in the way of the proper fitment of the lower pipe...

after all was said and done love the bushur FMIC and feel relived that my car is sucking in nice cooler air
Old Oct 2, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EscEvo
Well I just took the car out for a spin to make sure everything was running well. However, it looks like I've run into another snag. When the car hits boost now there is a loud high pitched sound. I've never heard it before, is it normal? Could there be a leak somewhere between the turbo and outlet pipe? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Once again, thanx in advance for the help.

Eric
Yea defo a leak most likely related to IC or could be loose turbo outlet. That happened to me before too. Sounds horrible like a screaming cat.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 04:53 PM

Based on what everybody's said, it is probably the connection between the turbo and the IC piping. I had a tough time getting that nut on to begin with and I guess I just didn't tighten it as much as I thought. But I'm having a real big problem reaching the nut and can't seem to tighten anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get to it and tighten it some more? Would it be better to go from the top of the engine and tighten by removing the exhaust manifold or just stay focused from the bottom?

Eric
Old Oct 3, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Go to Sears or autoparts store and get a swivel attachment or you can remove the 2 bolts holding the starter...

Either way will get you a good angle.. I went with a swivel and worked perfect,the only thing is I needed a really thin walled socket,so I had a cheap knock off brand 14mm socket and ground down the sides,worked perfect...

No need to go to the manifold thats a heachache waiting to happen.