Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which stroker kit is everybody choosing?
Crower's 2.37
5.38%
JUN's 2.2
32.31%
Toda's 2.3
1.54%
Tomei's 2.2
6.92%
RC Developments 2.3
0.77%
AMS 2.3
34.62%
Custom w/ 2.4 crank
18.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

What's up with the diff Evo stroker kits??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good work on the info. hopefully Dave get tell us how high we can rev on a daily basis with his stroker kit when he wakes up.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have been telling the guys that are buying these kits from us and the complete engines that the maximum RPM I recommend is 8,000. I don't feel that you build a stroker engine with the thoughts of making more low end torque to also rev it to the moon. The factory revlimiter of 7500 is perfect for one of these engines.

The weakest part in our stroker kit would have to be the brand new Mitsubishi crank that is used. Keep in mind though that this is the same crank that the majority of all kits use that are out there being run.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have been telling the guys that are buying these kits from us and the complete engines that the maximum RPM I recommend is 8,000. I don't feel that you build a stroker engine with the thoughts of making more low end torque to also rev it to the moon. The factory revlimiter of 7500 is perfect for one of these engines.

The weakest part in our stroker kit would have to be the brand new Mitsubishi crank that is used. Keep in mind though that this is the same crank that the majority of all kits use that are out there being run.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David,
Do you believe that the 4g64 crank is weaker from the factory than the 4g63 crank? Are the factory 4g64 cranks that are being offered in kits by companies like Toda, Buschur, AMS tweaked in anyway or are they bare bones stock 4g64 cranks? I understand the rev limit issue. In your opinion how much WHP and torque can a Toda, Buschur, or AMS 4g64 crank handle? I realize that you can only give me a best estimate but your opionion is appreciated.

I currently have a Toda stroker kit in my car but I used Pauter rods in place of the weak Toda rods. The rev limit is set at 8,000 rpms for the C16 map and 7,500 rpms for the 91 octane map. The HKS 3240 turbo (600whp)that I run is currently being replaced by a custom setup that should deliver over 800whp. The set up is a dual charger system, a supercharger paired with a Holsett Hx50 turbo. I will keep the rev limit set at 8,000 rpms. I believe that the pistons and rods should be OK at this WHP level but I'm very concerned about the Toda crank. Should I be? If so, do you have any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

800m whp, is that going to be the fastest evo around?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry for the newbie question but if I do get one of these kits is it a straight drop in mod or do you need to have someone bore/modify your engine internals?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

It has been said that these kits can be dropped in, even with the motor still in the car. Even so, the cylinder walls will need to be honed so that the rings will seat.

Personally I would be wary of revving a stroker assembly too high without making sure everything is square & balanced. However, I'm a bench racer. The vendors represented in this thread have experience with building these kits. I do not.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 06:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS said their kit can be installed with just a good hone... that still makes me weary though.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I cannot speak for AMS, I THINK they use a new factory Mitsubishi crank, but please don't quote that, you'll have to ask them.

As for Toda, they do use a Mitsu crank and stock 2.4 L Mitsu rods.

I would guess, and it is only a guess, that the 4g63 and 4g64 Mitsu cranks are of the same strength. BUT when putting the 4g64 crank in the 4g63 block the rod angle changes and the piston speed with the stroked crank goes way up. Both of these put more stress on the crankshaft. I believe if the RPM of a stroked 4g63 engine is kept under 7,500 rpm using the Mitsu crank that it will live for a long period of time.

These are just MY beliefs. I have a little bit of experience though

Also, the stroker kit is NOT a drop in. The block has to be clearanced for the rods, the #3 cylinder is extremely close no matter what rod you choose and with some the engine will not even turn over.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I'm very interested in the JUN 2.2L stroker kit.

I think that this setup, strapped to Buschur's 20G upgrade, HKS Kansai Intake Manifold, 272's, and a 3" O2/TB Exhaust - all run by an HKS FCON V-Pro on a conservative tune should offer significant increases in low/mid end torque over the 2.0, while producing power all the way up and allowing for a generously high-revving 8000 rpm redline.

I know JUN's kit is expensive, but it is a track proven quality product. I dont think I would ever have to worry about my bottom end with this setup- Especially since I only plan on boosting a maximum of 21psi on my motor. I only wish I could talk to some people stateside who have this stroker kit. Otherwise, it looks as though i'll be the first once this project finally gets underway.

BTW- David, I can't wait to order that 20G from you. With a built engine and basic bolt-ons, I think I will have a stealthy 400+ hp that will last forever.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Wow, it's cool when I come to the same conclusion as someone with years of experience. By my way of figuring, the piston speed of a 100mm 4G64 crank at 7,800rpm is about the same as a 88mm 4G63 crank at 9,000rpm which also seems to be the concensus of a "safe" rpm for a built 2.0L.

EDIT: Haha, oops. I just saw joeycoates post. I did the same calculations and came to the same conclusions.

Isn't the 4G64 crank forged, the same as the 4G63?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
We absolutely love our 2.4 motor. It really makes a big turbo car so much fun on the street. Like it was mentioned we are making 615ft lbs of torque and the car is so driveable.
That is absolutely disgusting- 615lbs of torque!!!!!!!!!!

~fred
Old Jan 27, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Wow, it's cool when I come to the same conclusion as someone with years of experience. By my way of figuring, the piston speed of a 100mm 4G64 crank at 7,800rpm is about the same as a 88mm 4G63 crank at 9,000rpm which also seems to be the concensus of a "safe" rpm for a built 2.0L.

EDIT: Haha, oops. I just saw joeycoates post. I did the same calculations and came to the same conclusions.

Isn't the 4G64 crank forged, the same as the 4G63?
I don't think that the 4g63 and 4g64 cranks are forged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

are the JUN counter cranks forged?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3240
I don't think that the 4g63 and 4g64 cranks are forged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It's my understanding that the Evo 8 4G63 lower internals are forged, with the exception of the pistons which are cast. I have also read that the forged 4G64 crank is a "truck motor" crank. Unfortunately I can't find any information that either confirms or refutes such ideas. Ah, Internet lore...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

the tomei kit is only guaranteed to last when you buy 1 of their genesis or derive motors. on their new motor with a stock turbo, the kit gains 74 crank hp on the 03/04's & 69 crank hp on the 05's. i'd say look at the buschur setup personally. it all depends on how much power you want i guess. for the record, RC's stroker specs are not available to the public. I CHECKED INTO IT!!!!! they are also running a greddy T88 on their car (T67 couldn't keep up apparently).

Quick Reply: What's up with the diff Evo stroker kits??