Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: RPM raise between shifts?
YES --- Modified ECM (includes all after market EMS and piggyback and flash ECU)
30.49%
YES --- Modified clutch (all aftermarket clutch)
23.28%
YES --- Modifed MAF (convert to speed density)
5.90%
YES --- Modifed BOV (all after market BOV now or tried before)
29.84%
Yes --- All stock on above parts
31.15%
Not at all (includes stock or modified)
24.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

RPM raise between shifts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM raise between shifts

I recently experiences this rpm raise between shifts problem,
i dnot know how many ppl has it on their evo?

there are couple links ppl mention about this before, but still no real solution.

Link1
Link2

in my case,
i dnot think it's ecu problem, my clutch is not slipping (new clutch),
and ppl tried to clean the throttle body... link1 above,

i was thinking about bov, compressor surge might be the case,
but still no hard evidents,

somehow, even it's not the bov, but the aftermarket bov does relate to the problem.

note: my problem was solved by changing back to stock bov.
others have this problem maybe not solved by change bov, and that should be some other issues going on.

Ben
thanks

Last edited by Turboholic; Jan 4, 2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try letting your foot off the gas faster when putting the clutch in. You're not timing it right.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe your clutch isn't disengaging fast enough
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Try letting your foot off the gas faster when putting the clutch in. You're not timing it right.

Agreed.

I think this falls under the same category as "my clutch wore out prematurely" or "I have shifter grind between 1st and 2nd gear" and the numerous other problems out there with this car.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
that's not the case here.

but thanks for the advice,

anyone else?

Last edited by Turboholic; Nov 14, 2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:25 PM

This is not an issue with how the car is driven. Turboholic allowed me to drive the car to experience it myself and it really takes you off guard when the car shoots up to redline when you shift at 6K after getting on it.

I had him remove the vacuum line to the BOV and the problem still persists.

To me it seems the only way for the problem to occur is that there is air getting into the intake after the throttle is let go. So, whether this is occuring because the throttle plate is sticking, the throttle cable is sticking or not adjusted properly, I don't know...but to me it doesnt make sense unless air is getting into the intake.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed that you have the Exedy single clutch kit. This comes with a lighter flywheel, right? In my 350Z I had this happen when I had the lightweight JWT flywheel and NISMO clutch kit. It seemed like having the lighter parts would make it keep going for a couple hundred RPMs after I stuck the clutch.

Also, you have a lot of mods. In your installs did you tighten the throttle cable near the throttle body? Perhaps you tightened it to too tight a position and now it holds open a bit?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have this same problem. You can see my mods below. I have been driving manual tranny cars all my life, granted none of them were this fast, but still I am experienced. I have the same problem. When I am shifting hard and fast I sometimes have this happen to me mostly between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th. The RPMS will rise even though the clutch is in and I am off the gas. I think it does have soemthing to do with the clutch engagement. Although I cannot decide whether it's engaging too slow or is disengaging too slow. Either way I have checked and it's not my BOV. I was running an HKS SSQ BOV and I was having this problem so I switched to a Forge and I still have the same problem. I even installed a short shifter and bushings and still the problem is there. It really can be a pain in the ***, and I know this can't be good for the car.

The only thing is that it doesn't happen every time..... ??????
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I just want to add that if your clutch engages high, if you don't get almost completely off the gas or even completely off the gas before you even touch the clutch the RPMs will rise. Mine does this too since I adjusted my clutch pedal up and if I release the gas completely before I hit the clutch it does not do it.

Seriously, try letting off the gas completely, then hit the clutch. Do it as two separate processes instead of a fluid motion. If the RPMs still rise then something is weird. If not, it's your driving.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I had the RPM rise problem but it went away after I changed clutch and throwout bearing. Things that it was not TPS, BOV and ECU. Problem occured with no flash, flash, Xede and AEM EMS (base map). Droped of my car at and had tham check the TPS sensor plus they found no problem with my car. Currently I have Xede installed. I did have restrictor moved when my clutch was installed. My clutch did grap and disk had plenty of life. The reason clutch was changed was because engament felt weird as if the preasure plate was going bad. Since the problem no longer occurs on my car and the disc was still good I believe it may be the preassure plate or throw out bearing that was defective. The clutch I had installed is the RPS max street clutch which has a Exedy disc. I am using the stock BOV.

Last edited by snoop; Nov 14, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have been having this problem for a while now. I still have not figured out any solution to it on my car as of yet. When I get it back from the shop (I was rear-ended) I will try to remove another washer out of my Turbo XS H34 to see if this helps the problem any. It is rather annoying. I am currently running 4 washers. I tried 6 once and that was way to tight. I dropped it down to 5 for a while but, I still had the same problem. Hopefully going to 3 will help.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by methuselah
This is not an issue with how the car is driven. Turboholic allowed me to drive the car to experience it myself and it really takes you off guard when the car shoots up to redline when you shift at 6K after getting on it.

I had him remove the vacuum line to the BOV and the problem still persists.
Does act in the same way with the vac line off and on? If it does, then you might be on your way to finding the problem. The BOV uses a spring to keep it closed at WOT. There is pressure on both sides. It needs vacuum pulling back on the spring at closed throttle to help release the presurized air between the TB and turbo.

I'd say that you might have a restricted vac line running to your BOV.

Pete
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:19 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up a MR. Car has less than 200 miles on it and I have this problem. Never had the problem on my 03.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

your not pulling the gas fast enough before you hit the clutch
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
your not pulling the gas fast enough before you hit the clutch
The rpm rise can occur at full thortle letting go of the gas completely and pushing in clutch. It is not driver error but some problem with clutch engagement in my opinion. sucks since there is no tech report of this problem. If I had an 05 MR I would leave at dealer until they fix this problem that sucks I would probally have sold my car if the problem didn't go away with clutch install. In fact I was told be Shop manager if I could live with the problem since he doesn't think it is that bad The good news I don't have this f---in problem any more But this is problem that is occuring on many mutiple cars out there and has no clue what it could be.

Last edited by snoop; Nov 15, 2004 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: RPM raise between shifts