Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: RPM raise between shifts?
YES --- Modified ECM (includes all after market EMS and piggyback and flash ECU)
30.49%
YES --- Modified clutch (all aftermarket clutch)
23.28%
YES --- Modifed MAF (convert to speed density)
5.90%
YES --- Modifed BOV (all after market BOV now or tried before)
29.84%
Yes --- All stock on above parts
31.15%
Not at all (includes stock or modified)
24.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

RPM raise between shifts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i see these threads so damn much... can someone just find out what the **** is wrong with it and find a way to fix it... this is getting really annoying and i don't even have the problem.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a dashpot on the throttle body? I'd check, but I'm in my office right now. I have experienced the problem once or twice. It freaked me out when it first happened.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

i dont have this problem at all when i have stock fmic w/ stock bov,
this happened after i changed to Burchar FMIC and all the pipings w/ 1g bov,
i am sure it's not the pipes and fmic problem,

now i was thinking about the boost leaks or 1g bov can't handled high boost,
after check all the clamps, and change to Tial bov now,
still happening,

actually it's fun at WOT, like someone hold the gas pedal even when he shifts,

but it's making ppl think this guy donot know how to drive,

i will try to solve this problem and post the solution.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Look. Do this.

Get in 3rd gear.
Take the car up to redline.
Get COMPLETELY off the gas.
Count to 2.
Press in on the clutch.
Notice that it doesn't happen.
Realize that it could have very possibly have been driver error, regardless of how "well" you can drive a car.

I've had this "problem" once or twice before, and I realized every time that it was through my own slight mis-coordination.

Seriously, try it and be honest with yourself and others. Nobody will laugh at you if you admit that you shift a little sloppy from time to time.

The reason it happens more at WOT-to-redline gear changes is because the car (as a whole) is moving 2 to 3 times faster than it does during the other 99% of the time that you spend behind the steering wheel. When things move faster than normal, things can easily be overlooked or errors can be made.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Look. Do this.

Get in 3rd gear.
Take the car up to redline.
Get COMPLETELY off the gas.
Count to 2.
Press in on the clutch.
Notice that it doesn't happen.
Realize that it could have very possibly have been driver error, regardless of how "well" you can drive a car.

I've had this "problem" once or twice before, and I realized every time that it was through my own slight mis-coordination.

Seriously, try it and be honest with yourself and others. Nobody will laugh at you if you admit that you shift a little sloppy from time to time.

The reason it happens more at WOT-to-redline gear changes is because the car (as a whole) is moving 2 to 3 times faster than it does during the other 99% of the time that you spend behind the steering wheel. When things move faster than normal, things can easily be overlooked or errors can be made.

i try that already, man.
i dont mean the rpm tapping, i mean it's like someone slap the gas for me after i shifted.

i dnot even need to shift to another gear, as long as i built over 1bar = 14.7 psi,
when i put clutch in around 6k rpm, the rpms will fry to 7 or 7.5 for me automatically,

i am thinking the bov problem with the AEM EMS, because this happens only after i change to aftermarket bov,

because i had my car tune and dyno when i still have stock pipes and bov, stock bov has really weak spring, i might not notice it when it does that,

for aftermarket bov that has strong spring, plus i had T the vacuum hose from stock ic pipes to the BOV's one, because burchur's lower ic pipes does not come with any nipple for that goes to boost soleniod.

i and my friends will investigate this problem this weekend if i have time.

also, how many ppl here has burchar racing lower ic pipe, and needs to T the Vacuum hose to the bov?

that might not lead to this.

anyhow, this forum is not very helping.

Last edited by Turboholic; Nov 15, 2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I just want to add that if your clutch engages high, if you don't get almost completely off the gas or even completely off the gas before you even touch the clutch the RPMs will rise. Mine does this too since I adjusted my clutch pedal up and if I release the gas completely before I hit the clutch it does not do it.

Seriously, try letting off the gas completely, then hit the clutch. Do it as two separate processes instead of a fluid motion. If the RPMs still rise then something is weird. If not, it's your driving.
Hey, when you get your clutch readjusted, what exactly does that do to the feel of the pedal as well as engagement?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

i think it's either your driving or the way certain mods were installed... instead of the clutch getting in there when it's not supposed to and slipping, it seems your gas pedal is having the same problem. it seems your throttle is leaking out when it's not supposed to... maybe a mechanic or performance shop could pin point the problem for you.

i remember this happening towards the beginning of my ownership of the EVO, but it hasn't been seen for ages. it was clearly my driving habits.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dizzigital
Hey, when you get your clutch readjusted, what exactly does that do to the feel of the pedal as well as engagement?
the gas pedal is not come back after the rpm drop from redline after i shift,

i know the bad habbit you talked about,
again, that's nothing to do with driving, i have let others who has evo to drive my car, this is happening.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turboholic

i know the bad habbit you talked about,
again, that's nothing to do with driving, i have let others who has evo to drive my car, this is happening.
check your mods, dude. each and every one from A - Z. if it's not your driving, then something's not right. it's as if your car doesn't wanna stop gassing it when you do.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

i think it's either your driving or the way certain mods were installed... instead of the clutch getting in there when it's not supposed to and slipping, it seems your gas pedal is having the same problem. it seems your throttle is leaking out when it's not supposed to... maybe a mechanic or performance shop could pin point the problem for you.

i remember this happening towards the beginning of my ownership of the EVO, but it hasn't been seen for ages. it was clearly my driving habits.
this not a major problem, i dnot feel like to drive 4hr to chicago for this.

the car still fast under normal driving, only happen when it pass 1.0bar.

i had other evo friends has this problem, and they just ignored it.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

this not a major problem, i dnot feel like to drive 4hr to chicago for this.

the car still fast under normal driving, only happen when it pass 1.0bar.

i had other evo friends has this problem, and they just ignored it.
hmmm... again, I'm no mechanic, but this reminds me of the clutch problem I used to have... as soon as the main boost kicks in, the RPMs would go all over the place.... relating to your situation, it's seems like the same idea to me... over boosting or somethin'... maybe something with the waste gate or boost solenoid? again, i barely know ish about mod's and those two terms merely popped into my head having talked to a friend who changed some type of hosing to his waste gate actuator or something along those line.... sorry that i've only confused you more, so talk to someone who's been around the block
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm... again, I'm no mechanic, but this reminds me of the clutch problem I used to have... as soon as the main boost kicks in, the RPMs would go all over the place.... relating to your situation, it's seems like the same idea to me... over boosting or somethin'... maybe something with the waste gate or boost solenoid? again, i barely know ish about mod's and those two terms merely popped into my head having talked to a friend who changed some type of hosing to his waste gate actuator or something along those line.... sorry that i've only confused you more, so talk to someone who's been around the block
yes, exactly i am thinking, after checking the pipings, throttle body,
i am playing around the GM boost soleniod along w/ the bov, especially one side of the soleniod is T to the bov.

i am not a expect for AEM EMS, still learning, that might be the problem.

not a clutch problem, that only happen after i disengaged the clutch.

Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, I got it. Sticky throttle cable/butterfly valve. Check that. I bet when you are WOT it is putting enough extra "stress" on one of these two pieces that it sticks a bit when it is released. Check the area where the spring to the butterfly valve has the limit stopper. Look to see if it is gummy or sticky, by chance. Check down at the pedal. Do you still have that round plastic "bump stop" on the floor that the gas pedal hits against when fully depressed?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, I got it. Sticky throttle cable/butterfly valve. Check that. I bet when you are WOT it is putting enough extra "stress" on one of these two pieces that it sticks a bit when it is released. Check the area where the spring to the butterfly valve has the limit stopper. Look to see if it is gummy or sticky, by chance. Check down at the pedal. Do you still have that round plastic "bump stop" on the floor that the gas pedal hits against when fully depressed?
oh wow, there it is... i love answers that come from experience!

about the "bump stop" you talk about... why do you ask if it's still on the floor? did you take yours out? if so, why?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

dont you think so?

i thought someone else already tried that?

i was thinking about the throttle body butterfly plate, but even if so, the rpm will only tap up, won't it cause rpm "Surge" like this? i mean, like some one slap the gas for me?

but anyhow, i will take it off this weekend and clean it just for checking.

i am worrying about the bov with that GM soleniod, because the bov and pipes are the only part i did before this happened,

i dnot have stock pipes and bov already, i wish i didnot sell it and try it on.

Quick Reply: RPM raise between shifts