Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: RPM raise between shifts?
YES --- Modified ECM (includes all after market EMS and piggyback and flash ECU)
30.49%
YES --- Modified clutch (all aftermarket clutch)
23.28%
YES --- Modifed MAF (convert to speed density)
5.90%
YES --- Modifed BOV (all after market BOV now or tried before)
29.84%
Yes --- All stock on above parts
31.15%
Not at all (includes stock or modified)
24.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

RPM raise between shifts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzigital
oh wow, there it is... i love answers that come from experience!

about the "bump stop" you talk about... why do you ask if it's still on the floor? did you take yours out? if so, why?

It's there to prevent excessive stretching of the throttle cable. It can be taken out inadvertedly by kicking it or during vacuuming. Some people have commented in the past that they thought maybe they would actually achieve closer to 100% air flow if they took it out, thinking it would allow the butterfly valve to turn closer to 108 degrees inside the throttle body. In reality, all they would be doing would be stretching the throttle cable. Even if yours is still there, the chance of your cable being stretched or perhaps "sticky" is still there.

With the car off and cooled down, try spraying some silicon lubricant (like WD-40, but silicon) up into the ends of the throttle cable while working it back and forth through it's full range of movement. I'd use a whole can between both ends. It might take a while, but it would be interesting to see if this solves the problem.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bpclements
I have been having this problem for a while now. I still have not figured out any solution to it on my car as of yet. When I get it back from the shop (I was rear-ended) I will try to remove another washer out of my Turbo XS H34 to see if this helps the problem any. It is rather annoying. I am currently running 4 washers. I tried 6 once and that was way to tight. I dropped it down to 5 for a while but, I still had the same problem. Hopefully going to 3 will help.

I also notice that when I lift off of the throttle after building a little boost the car will buck kinda roughly. Like the rpm is still trying to climb. I know my BOV is not to tight because it releases as soon as I lift on the throttle. If I slowly get off of the gas and allow the boost to drop to about 5 psi then it is really smoothed. Also, my bov will release as little as 8 in. of vacuum. So, the bov can't be too tight. But I am still going to try and remove another spacer out of my bov to see if that helps. Only thing that I am worried about is that 3 spacers will not be enough and it will allow the bov to leak under wot. If none of this works then I will try an MR valve.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
It's there to prevent excessive stretching of the throttle cable. It can be taken out inadvertedly by kicking it or during vacuuming. Some people have commented in the past that they thought maybe they would actually achieve closer to 100% air flow if they took it out, thinking it would allow the butterfly valve to turn closer to 108 degrees inside the throttle body. In reality, all they would be doing would be stretching the throttle cable. Even if yours is still there, the chance of your cable being stretched or perhaps "sticky" is still there.

With the car off and cooled down, try spraying some silicon lubricant (like WD-40, but silicon) up into the ends of the throttle cable while working it back and forth through it's full range of movement. I'd use a whole can between both ends. It might take a while, but it would be interesting to see if this solves the problem.

Hope this helps.
did you or someone else talk about this spay before,
i will try that,

but i used AEM and check my throttle position is correct,
also if it's the problem, would that happens too when the car is idling?
but in my case, it's not doing it when idling.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bpclements
I also notice that when I lift off of the throttle after building a little boost the car will buck kinda roughly. Like the rpm is still trying to climb. I know my BOV is not to tight because it releases as soon as I lift on the throttle. If I slowly get off of the gas and allow the boost to drop to about 5 psi then it is really smoothed. Also, my bov will release as little as 8 in. of vacuum. So, the bov can't be too tight. But I am still going to try and remove another spacer out of my bov to see if that helps. Only thing that I am worried about is that 3 spacers will not be enough and it will allow the bov to leak under wot. If none of this works then I will try an MR valve.
i had that too when i still have stock pipes w/ stock bov, just little rpm hesitation when it's really cold outside.

that's why i go with whole ic pipes setup with welding flage w/ Tial, but the rpm surge even worse,

as far as i consume, my evo dont like cold winter much.

wonder if anyone here changed their throttle body has this problem,

i remember that last year Work-Axis St. louis meeting has sold many Work's throttle body for evo guys.

Last edited by Turboholic; Nov 15, 2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
Does act in the same way with the vac line off and on? If it does, then you might be on your way to finding the problem. The BOV uses a spring to keep it closed at WOT. There is pressure on both sides. It needs vacuum pulling back on the spring at closed throttle to help release the presurized air between the TB and turbo.

I'd say that you might have a restricted vac line running to your BOV.

Pete
Turboholic, have you tried this yet? Or do you guys just ignore the suby owners?
Old Nov 16, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you will always get the bucking... it's surge... happens to my car and it's new... on 2nd gear hill climbs or on first gear red line sudden throttle let off. has to do with the violent nature of first and second and the excellent throttle sensitivity.

didn't i already suggest sticky throttle? and didn't you say you cleaned it already? or was that another thread exactly like this one? bleh... if anything you could try checking your ems... could be you didn't smooth out something somewhere.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

yes, i need to take the throttle body out and clean it first before further investigation,

no, i am not ignoring the suby guys, but the vacuum line to the wastegate and bov are corrected, this has been done by others' with burchur fmic w/ pipes.
thanks for the suggestion.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

well, i dnot have time to clean the throttle body yet,

but i just disable the GM boost soleniod, wide open W/G,
max boost 0.9bar on my boost gauge,

and it's not happening, no rpm surge at all.

i am waiting for help on aem forum.

thanks guys.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:09 PM

So all those phone calls finally paid off then?

Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by methuselah
So all those phone calls finally paid off then?

just partially clear the problem,
still need to make sure that i can run high boost,

talked to you later about it, Seth.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Turboholic
just partially clear the problem,
still need to make sure that i can run high boost,

talked to you later about it, Seth.
Sure thing. You can borrow my air compressor pressure valve for as long as you like.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 90 Talon AWD, turned out to be the throttle cable sticking! However, I am sure SOME not all people that have this problem w/in this thread is just from driving error, its quite easy to do and you can get into the habit of doing it and not even realizing it!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

ok so try this:
1.) put in 3rd gear, wot till about 5-6k, take your foot off the gas and do not touch the clutch at all, as if you were going to let the car come back down to idle on its own in gear. see what happens.
If the rpms still go up after you release the gas, then it is a prob with your throttle body(ie:shaft seals), or a cbv prob.

2.) again get in 3rd gear give it gas , but NOT IN BOOST, then as soon as you hit 5-6k rpms shift relatively fast. if it doesnt spike the tach, then you have a prob with your clutch linkage.

3.) in neutral, rev it up full throttle to about 5-6k then release the throttle immediatley. if the rpms still go up a ways then your throttle cable is sticking.

Last edited by 92gsxbaltimore; Nov 18, 2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
ok so try this:
1.) put in 3rd gear, wot till about 5-6k, take your foot off the gas and do not touch the clutch at all, as if you were going to let the car come back down to idle on its own in gear. see what happens.
If the rpms still go up after you release the gas, then it is a prob with your throttle body(ie:shaft seals), or a cbv prob.

2.) again get in 3rd gear give it gas , but NOT IN BOOST, then as soon as you hit 5-6k rpms shift relatively fast. if it doesnt spike the tach, then you have a prob with your clutch linkage.

3.) in neutral, rev it up full throttle to about 5-6k then release the throttle immediatley. if the rpms still go up a ways then your throttle cable is sticking.
1) the gas padel still try to stay and the car will pull a little for me, rpm will raise but not to redline,
i check the throttle body, clean it, still happen,

2) still do that,

3) when i was driving the car, will do, when the car is idling, not.

any idea if the W/G goes wrong will happen like it?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

i think that i found the problem,

it should be the aftermarket Blow off value since i only have this problem after i changed the bov but nothing else.

so, i guess my evo just like stock bov, i would try JDM MR BOV and see what happen,

btw, i clean my throttle body, and adjust the throttle cable, they are not the problem at all.

Ben

Quick Reply: RPM raise between shifts