Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

'03 Evo 6500 miles: dead tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Evo 6500 miles: dead tranny?

Driving into work this morning, I stopped at a light. When it turned green I left normally, shifted 1st into 2nd: fine. Shifted into 3rd and all of a sudden it was like there was no tranny in the car at all. No 3rd gear (or any other for that matter) and the shifter was flopping around like nothing was even connected to it.

I coasted to a parking lot, checked the cables on top of the tranny and then pulled the console while waiting for the tow truck...they're all connected just like I thought they would be. So now I am a little concerned that it's a shift fork or something internal. Sometime between coasting in and the tow truck showing up, it went into 3rd while I was playing with it and is now locked there. The shifter now only moves from 3rd to 4th (but does not come out of gear), not side/side, so me thinks the shift fork is bent and causing an alignment issue on the rail. Maybe a problem with the actual gear?

6500 miles on it ('03), no racing of any kind, no power or even fast shifting for that matter. I know some trannies have issues, but I've never really heard of something this drastic on an Evo with so few miles and ZERO abuse (I am the original owner). Damn.

I am almost pertrified to bring it in so they can void the drivetrain warranty for something as stupid as having exhaust, intake, FMIC upgrade and gauges....blah.

Any thoughts on what else might be wrong? Would it be worth putting the stock intake, exhaust and FMIC on before bringing to the dealer?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor

on of the forks is stuck
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a shiftfork problem. Shiftforks arn't that much. Under $100 for sure. The 1-2 shiftfork is like $30 from mitsu. But the 3-4 shiftfork looks alittle bigger so it might be alittle more $$.
It's the $500 in labor to get the trans out that sux.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, the forks are relatively cheap (had upgraded ones installed in my 2G DSM), but pulling the tranny apart isn't something I can do on my own with any sense of knowing exactly what I am doing

I am going to dig around it tomorrow and see if I can find anything obvious, otherwise I will bite the bullet and take it to the dealer to see if they will fix it under warranty...or just void it If they void it for any reason, I'll need to consider DIY or send the tranny to TRE so I don't have to worry about it ever again.

I will keep you posted on what the diagnosis is...
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Please just contact a local attorney if they attempt to void your warranty. Sometimes car companies "void" without a proper basis; and in some of those cases a "threat" letter from an attorney may resolve the issue. That may or may not be the case in your situation, but you never know until you call a lawyer. (The initial meeting is usually free of charge.)
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:14 AM

Even you put all your stock stuffs back to your EVO, the dealer will still be able to tell if you have replace with other aftermarket stufs before. Trust me,... they really know!

I suggest you to give it a try anyways, since you already have aftermarket parts in your EVO