Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Read Me!! ACT Clutch review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
And you drove it for only 700 of 14,000 miles. The friction material coming off didn't cause that damage to anything, never mind breaking the bell housing. It wouldn't have broken off in big enough chunks, not is it hard enough to cause any damage. That clutch was very clearly abused before you got it.

Your open bashing of ACT is completely unwarranted.
And I never said it wasn't lol Relax I never bashed ACT, I shared my experience with the clutch I had since someone who posed earlier said they had a similar experience. Both with the lock out and disintegration. I also said I would still do business with them. mahdipers was bashing them, and there's a clear difference.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, saying you got 14,500 miles out of a clutch you only drove for ~700 isn't exactly accurate lol
Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turndown
And I never said it wasn't lol Relax I never bashed ACT, I shared my experience with the clutch I had since someone who posed earlier said they had a similar experience. Both with the lock out and disintegration. I also said I would still do business with them. mahdipers was bashing them, and there's a clear difference.

You're funny.

Ditch the ACT, they're nothing but problems on these cars...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11641493
Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Yeah I was being sarcastic there I figured it was obvious since he asked for help fixing it. I realize it was in poor taste so I changed it.

Last edited by Turndown; Jul 18, 2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You're funny.
That made me laugh.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I was being sarcastic there I figured it was obvious since he asked for help fixing it. I realize it was in poor taste so I changed it.
I'm pretty much a master at sarcasm, and it wasn't clear you were kidding (although sarcasm is harder to pick up with the written word).

No worries, though. It's a car forum

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jul 19, 2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty much a master at sarcasm, and it wasn't clear you were kidding (although sarcasm is harder to pick up with the written word).

No worries, though. It's a car forum
Yeah that is true, and is something I should have tought about before hand. Not trying to step on any toes either way.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thadon84
I just wanted to put in my two cents for anyone considering a new clutch or who needs a new clutch.

I bought my evo used with 21000 miles on it. After launching at 7grand(accident)street racing my buddy(STI) I had damaged my pressure plate and throughout bearing. I decided to go with an ACT HDPP and SD with a Prostreet lightweight flywheel. I had it installed at a local shop and found out i had not broken a stock clutch but an Exedy twin 6 puck clutch. After getting my car back the clutch pedal is quite a bit heavier but i have gotten used to it. After the break in I tested it out from a roll and at wot in 3rd gear at 7 grand i enaged the clutch and my shift out of 3rd was sticky and notchy. Same thing in fourth going into fifth at WOT and 7 Grand. Only at WOT and 7 grand was this problem happening. I became discouraged with this clutch and thought that i might have also damaged my synchro's. I read every post i could about clutch pedal adjustment and clutch problems. I tried twice unsuccessfully to adjust my pedal. After about a week I tried it again last night and I was finally able to adjust it. I only turned it about 1/2 to 1 full rotation and I test drove it. I made a world of difference. The clutch finally works as i hoped it would when I first bought it. Overall I am now completely satisfied with this clutch and I would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade.

If you do buy this clutch make sure that whoever installs it gives you any paperwork that comes with the clutch refering to adjustment and break so you aren't left in the dark wondering and endlessly searching like I was.

Now go out and buy yourself an ACT clutch

Hey whats up!

So i have a problem which idk what might be
I recently bought a ACT HDSS for my evo X. Clutch was installed barely this past June. So after installment the clutch kinda vibrated a little after letting go and giving it more gas to go. i told the guy from the shop and he mention was normal. so i drove it like that for the break in time which they recommend 500 miles. i did so and after did couple pools with my friends and sure i smoke their GT. Any how after the clutch started to slipped??? but before that i did kinda burnt the clutch in a small hill idk if that can also damage the clutch. but now friends are telling me that the clutch might be bad, others saying that might be the clutch pedal to be fixed. idk what it might be. im just on e85 about 390HP. hope you can help with this
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Like I said in your original thread. Adjust the clutch pedal. This is the easiest/best thing for you to do before you have to pull the transmission... Or just pull your transmission out, whatever you prefer to do to see whats going on. Also slipping the clutch too much will cause the clutch to glaze and it be hard to grab until the glaze is removed from normal driving. I got this from my act 6 puck when I slipped the clutch too much and had to drive normally for a bit for it to go away. I currently have act hdss in my car right now. It has a slight grindy/catchy feeling when the clutch is being engaged. If you're talking about that it might be normal.