Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which is the better turbo?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the better turbo?

I am thinking of getting a straight bolt on turbo in the future. I have been eyeing the Buschur 21G. But if it doesn't turn out with good results, I was looking into the TME 6.5 or the Evo 9 turbo. My question is which is the "bigger turbo" or the one with more power potential. They should both have the 10.5 hotside? I know the Evo 9 turbo has a bigger compressor side than my stock but is the TME bigger? Also how about the reliability and longevity. I know the TME is titanium, will that affect durability? I just want to get my money's worth out of a "stock" turbo. Thank you for any help you guys can give.

Oh and where can I get a "real" TME turbo? I heard about ones that aren't true TME turbos.

Last edited by inariv5573; May 9, 2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personnaly I would wait till the evo9's are available in other countries.

As the new evo9 GT/RS turbo looks too be pretty good and a better choice over the TME turbo. And should be interesting to see what gains can be had with that over the older turbo's.

As for the TME turbos there are two types.
GSR = 15GK compressor with the titanium turbine.
RS = 16G compressor with the titanium turbine.

As for the reliability of the titanium I wouldn't worry, all the group N rally cars run the titanium turbo (RS's comes with them stock) and they seem to hold up ok.
Old May 13, 2005, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
get the evo9 turbo cuz it has the bigger exhaust nozzle and the bigger compressor nozzle, this means you can more power that you can tun out of it and you can possibly hold a little more boost to redline.

for an added kicked you can always get the ti internals yourself. it will make you spool much faster. the ti material is actually better for high temp use, it's commonly quoted that the ti is more stable at temps a notch higher than inconnel is stable at.