Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Extrude Hone EVO Intake Manifolds??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extrude Hone EVO Intake Manifolds??

Hey guys, I did a search and was surprised to see NO one has thought or looked into doing this. www.extrudehone.com (EH)is their website, in essence, it's a smooth way to port and polish the heck out of an intake or exhaust manifold.

They put a putty like substance in that is abrasive enough to scrape away surface imperfections and evenly remove metal so that it's polished and ported nicely. . .

I think they'd charge around $400 for the intake, and probably the same for the exhaust.

I think this is a good option for those of us that would like the strength, reliability, and quality of the OEM pieces, with about 10-20% more flow. . .maybe more since our engines are Forced Induction. . .

I realize Dave Buschur offers the PnP service for the O2 housing and the manifold as well, but I thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone was interested?

Dave you have any opinions on EH?

I don't think you'd need to flash for the EH intake manifold (maybe for the EH exhaust manifold?) if you're stock, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The only problems I see here are the GASKETS, since by opening up the 4 individual runners, the constriction would come where the intake manifold meets the head via the gasket. . .furthermore, if the exhaust manifold were EH, we'd need either ported gaskets to match, or bigger ones. . .

PS, EH=extrude hone, for those of you that read posts as rapidly as I do and are to lazy to read the whole thing. . .

This is what a triple EH manifold looks like from a Contour SVT, it increased overall cfm from 160-170cfm to OVER 190cfm. . .now in an NA engine, that's fine and all, but imagine that in a FI engine, combined with a larger diameter port-matched throttle body?? turbo-lag good-bye. . .!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

i can't see spending 400+ do port the manifold when for 400 mopre i can get a Sheetmetal piece that has been proven..... other than the Sheetmetal one doesn't look stock but thats ok.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care about the looks Juiced (Althought the Buschur sheetmetal looks HOT!), I'm talking about functionality, and the Sheetmetal clearly states: There is no provision for EGR or the factory MAP sensor in these intakes. Recommended to be used with stand alone engine management only.

I'm sorry, I don't really want a funky idle, or to tinker with a stand alone EM, I'd like to use a flash or stock ECU. . .which is WHY I'm wondering if anyone has EH'ed their EVO 8?

Furthermore, it's helluva lot cheaper for MAYBE similar gains. . .lemme see $425 for a stock IM EH'ed or $650 for a shorty runner that is perfectly ideal for a race-spec EVO, not a daily driver. . . .
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I never done it with my Evo..although it has crossed my mind. I have experience with it on other cars such as Mustangs and it is a VERY nice process and the best way to smooth entire runners.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've had 3 diffrent manifolds extrude honed.....

sr20det (looked shiny inside but only picked up 2 cfm)
5.0 cobra manifold (didn't do jack for cfm)
Ls1 Weiand Manifold (picked up 4 cfm)

What i learned is the best way to increase HP and TQ is to increase the internal volume. HTe extrude hone only really "ports" at the point of greatest restriction ie. the runners thats fine and dandy but if the plenum doesn't have the capacity to hold the air your just going to decrease velocity and hurt TQ down low. (main reason they don't extrude hone heads)

If the manifold already flows relatively well then there is no point in the hone (Believe me Fors isn't a good comapny to use when your talking about before and after flow... if you've ever seen a ford head you would know why they don't make any power, if you;ve ever seen a 03-04 cobra head you would see that our ports are bigger). The best thing would be to cut it inhalf and hand port it that way you could shape the plenum and runners in a fashion that would net you some real hp.....

If you ask me it's not worth it when aftermarket manifolds are available.

I wasn't talking abou the bling factor..... I live in cali and our Local PD's are trained to look for mods if it would have any real gains it would be best to port the stock intake because they would never know it was modified, where as the Magnus, Or Buschur intake has no EO number and would clearly result in a Modified emmisions ticket.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You didn't search hard enough. We did Extrude Hone testing over a year ago, check out the original Dyno thread I made back then.

The Extrude Honed intake on the EVO gained no power at all, which is odd as on the 1g's it use to pick up about 15 whp.

We did a bunch of testing of intake manifolds back then. Ended up finding the best power was from just hand porting the stock intake manifold and then adding our 65 mm throttle body to it. We gained 10-15 whp like this.

My RS (11.3 at 124 mph) my brothers car (10.9 at 135 mph) and our black shop EVO (10.12 at 141 mph) all run the stock ported intake manifold and our 65 mm throttle body.

That may or may not tell you the complete story.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

David-
Do you guys offer intake manifold porting on a core exchange basis like the exhaust manifold and O2 housing? I couldn't find it on your site, and thanks the info, mea culpa on my part, I guess I'm not as great of a searcher as I had thought!

Hand porting it is then. . .
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We do not have the cores here to be able to offer sending them out without getting yours first. We can however turn it around very quickly, just a few days.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:49 PM

very interesting info
Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
You didn't search hard enough. We did Extrude Hone testing over a year ago, check out the original Dyno thread I made back then.

The Extrude Honed intake on the EVO gained no power at all, which is odd as on the 1g's it use to pick up about 15 whp.

We did a bunch of testing of intake manifolds back then. Ended up finding the best power was from just hand porting the stock intake manifold and then adding our 65 mm throttle body to it. We gained 10-15 whp like this.

My RS (11.3 at 124 mph) my brothers car (10.9 at 135 mph) and our black shop EVO (10.12 at 141 mph) all run the stock ported intake manifold and our 65 mm throttle body.

That may or may not tell you the complete story.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
do you plan to leave it like this on the shop car...
or will you eventually change the manifold and put a larger throttle body?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 11secEVO7
do you plan to leave it like this on the shop car...
or will you eventually change the manifold and put a larger throttle body?
I was wondering the same thing since I'm on the edge about which intake mani to buy but then I came across this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=185416

Post 13: The car now has a Kansai intake manifold and Q45 throttle body

It looks like the car went 10.12 with the ported stock IM and 65mm Throttle body last season but with the new parts lineup including the new mani, the car put down 903whp on Switzer's Dynojet just yesterday.

Keep it up Buschur racing!!! Cant wait to see what it runs now!