Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
AWD Trans are normally a little noisy.. but I don't hear any grinding, or loud whining at speed or deceleration.. I do hear the backpressure valve in the muffler open when I decelerate which growls like a bigger engine than it is...

What region are you all from? Maybe its a group of cars with close vin#'s possibly a bad lot of trannies?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MalibuJack
AWD Trans are normally a little noisy.. but I don't hear any grinding, or loud whining at speed or deceleration.. I do hear the backpressure valve in the muffler open when I decelerate which growls like a bigger engine than it is...

What region are you all from? Maybe its a group of cars with close vin#'s possibly a bad lot of trannies?
I hear tranny whine in first gear from 0- 3000 rpm then it goes away. I'm in NY.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MalibuJack

I have been told that by many AWD drivers. I'm gonna try to describe the noise the best I can in detail.

When you down**** in any car, you get that backlash from the trany. A high smooth BRRRRRRRRRRRRR then as soon as you release the gas it sound more like BRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHNNGG from about 6k to 3k. Then back to normal BRRRRRRRRRRRR. This sounds gay I know. But I can't explain it any better.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:45 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Well there was a rumor on this message board saying that the Evo's arrival was delayed due to tranny problems.

I think I'll have my dealer check mine out next time I go in there.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone record the sound and post it?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ru4real
Can someone record the sound and post it?
I am going to record it when I get home. It may a bit tricky, but I'll do my best.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:15 PM
Ron
Evolving Member

The problem, if this is indeed a problem, might be isolated to early cars, or cars in a certain VIN range.

Could the guys that are hearing strange noises and/or experiencing failures post the last few digits of your VIN (sort of like the "build date," but better), and how long you've heard the noises (number of miles)?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ron
The problem, if this is indeed a problem, might be isolated to early cars, or cars in a certain VIN range.

Could the guys that are hearing strange noises and/or experiencing failures post the last few digits of your VIN (sort of like the "build date," but better), and how long you've heard the noises (number of miles)?
I don't have the VIN on me but I picked mine up March 3, Columbus Ohio. I think it's lile 9959 or something. Starting hearing it around 650. I have 987 now.

Didn't here it during breakin, due tot he fact that I very rarely got it to 6k.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

My tranny wines when taking off all the way till like 3K. And also a little on decel.. I didn't think there was a problem.. The tranny shifts fine and drives fine..

Maybe i should take my car in

Anyone have any opinions? My vin ends in 1027

-Zach
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zyounker
My tranny wines when taking off all the way till like 3K. And also a little on decel.. I didn't think there was a problem.. The tranny shifts fine and drives fine..

Maybe i should take my car in

Anyone have any opinions? My vin ends in 1027

-Zach
See, mine shifts fine and drives fine too, just a little noisy. But I'm still think it just may be normal diff noise. Only one way to find out. 6k drop launches all day. Or take it to the dealer. Opting for dealer. Event hought he 6k drop launches in the Evo are freekin nasty ! ! !
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone who has had a chance to pull off the under chin spoiler and look at the tarnsmission. . . .

My trany case looks like it was cast by a buncth of neandetahls - - the case is very very roughly finished and it has cracks in the metal - its just a really poorly made casting - - no where near as professional looking as the suby transmissions

I do not know if this is par for the course with or if this is something new to the evo - - but with that type of poor casting work its clear that they did not take great care with these transmissions
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, i have also noticed when i 1st take off (after the car had been sitting) it clunks in the rear diff too. But i didn't even think that was a problem.

I expected more noise from the drivetrain then other cars..

I do need to take the car in anyway, cause the installed one of the rear seatbelts backwards.. haha

-Zach
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zyounker
Oh, i have also noticed when i 1st take off (after the car had been sitting) it clunks in the rear diff too. But i didn't even think that was a problem.

I expected more noise from the drivetrain then other cars..

I do need to take the car in anyway, cause the installed one of the rear seatbelts backwards.. haha

-Zach
I'm taking the seats and belts out of the back, puttin bean bags back there. Less weight.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Probably some kid drove it on a test drive. Can't find'em grind'em.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by stvbreal

I'm taking the seats and belts out of the back, puttin bean bags back there. Less weight.

haha. omg bean bags.that is funny...

damn.. after reading this thread, i am going to be nervous.. perhaps i cacn take it to dealership for a good check up.. plus i want to get my oil changed soon at 1200 miles.

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure