Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hadn't been able to find the mp3 until just now. No, that noise isn't normal at all. I'll be interested to see if the transmission replacement fixes it.
Old May 16, 2003, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
I hadn't been able to find the mp3 until just now. No, that noise isn't normal at all. I'll be interested to see if the transmission replacement fixes it.

I just heard the mp3 as well. This sounds just like my tranny, 2nd or 3rd gear, above 3000 rpm and very light throttle application. Mine sounds a little less grungy however
Old May 16, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Hey mad vlll......pm me I think I am close to you......I'll take you out in my Evo if you wan't to compare?...let me know
Old May 16, 2003, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, it does sound a lot like a heat shield.
Old May 16, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it does, i remember reading some dealer took the heatshield off someones EVO, and the noise was still apparent.....

I called MMSA today, and the stupid ladies that answered my call just kept telling me -
"Due to the nature of this high performance vehicle bla bla bla"

Obviously no one knows jack ****ing **** about this car, or at least no one that I've talked to does, and im getting very pissed. All the dealers in my area don't understand ive owned many AWD Turbo vehicles that are higher in performance than this stock EVO, and I have never heard this bad of decel grind in my life. All dealers including MMSA, are too quick to say that its the nature of the beast, in reality i bet this will become a problem with this entire first batch of Evos....
Old May 17, 2003, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE-

Took the car into a different dealer (props to Walkers Renton Mitsubishi and Joe in the service dept). They found no metal in the tranny or transfer case, but after he got the car up on the racks, he gave it a start and checked the tranny whine with an oscilliscope (sp?) and we heard some vibrations coming from the tranny going into the transfer case. This being said he got on the phone with Mitsu Techline where the first rep told him that 5 trannys across the country have been replaced so far so it sounded like I would be the 6th~!~

BUT.... about 5 min later we get a call back from a Mitsu engineer who explained to Joe that out of all 5 of those trannys that were swapped, the decel noise was still there. He also explained to Joe that the reasons for the decel noise was 3rd and 4th gear being cut Straight, for heavy duty use. As of know, there is no fix for this and they dont even know if its a real problem even. This is all coming from a Mitsu engineer, not some person that answers phones.

This at least puts me at ease, and the fact no metal shavings or chunks were found. If you do find metal shavings take it in RIGHT AWAY. Those of you with the decel noise, just keep an eye on your tranny fluid. Also - the oil in the transfer case WILL BE DARKER due to an oil cooling additive that was placed in there (Mitsu engineer explained this as well)
Old May 17, 2003, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

So why does mine do it in second gear as well then if third and fourth are straight cut????

I don't believe that crap for a second. Don't you guys think that at least one of the magazines that has tested this car would have mentioned the decel noise if all the evo's did this? I know for a fact you cannot miss it in my car unless you are putting around town in the thing. THe moment you get into some twisties and start going to work on the throttle the noise just smacks you in the face.

Plus I thought only first and second were straight cut.

Limey, I sent you a PM just now.
Old May 17, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
UPDATE-

BUT.... about 5 min later we get a call back from a Mitsu engineer who explained to Joe that out of all 5 of those trannys that were swapped, the decel noise was still there. He also explained to Joe that the reasons for the decel noise was 3rd and 4th gear being cut Straight, for heavy duty use. As of know, there is no fix for this and they dont even know if its a real problem even. This is all coming from a Mitsu engineer, not some person that answers phones.

Maybee I should ask for Jspec six speed when I talk to the regional rep next week. Or atleast put some good old redline tranny fluid in it. That magical elixore has cured many a sick tranny in my past.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mad_VIII
So why does mine do it in second gear as well then if third and fourth are straight cut????

I don't believe that crap for a second. Don't you guys think that at least one of the magazines that has tested this car would have mentioned the decel noise if all the evo's did this? I know for a fact you cannot miss it in my car unless you are putting around town in the thing. THe moment you get into some twisties and start going to work on the throttle the noise just smacks you in the face.

Plus I thought only first and second were straight cut.

Limey, I sent you a PM just now.
I got it thanks.....
Old May 17, 2003, 05:46 PM

Update

UPDATE:

Im taking my car in to the dealer Tuesday. Apparently mitsu has a regional car that they want to compare mine to. One of the Evo certified tech guys is going to drive the regional car to the dealer and drive both cars back to back a few times and compare. Im going to have them check my fluid for shavings / bits also. Regardless of what they diagnose, im bringing Redline tranny fluid with me to replace Redline made a HUGE difference in the feel of the tranny in my VR4, and smoothed out shifts considerably. Though my VR4 tranny never made any heinous noises that needed to be cured =P
Old May 17, 2003, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Update

Originally posted by JTurbo
UPDATE:

Im taking my car in to the dealer Tuesday. Apparently mitsu has a regional car that they want to compare mine to. One of the Evo certified tech guys is going to drive the regional car to the dealer and drive both cars back to back a few times and compare. Im going to have them check my fluid for shavings / bits also. Regardless of what they diagnose, im bringing Redline tranny fluid with me to replace Redline made a HUGE difference in the feel of the tranny in my VR4, and smoothed out shifts considerably. Though my VR4 tranny never made any heinous noises that needed to be cured =P
Damn, I need to get them do do that for me. If I can get the regional rep and the service manager in my car, I know there is no way they will be able to deny that there is an issue. Bottom line is I/we need to get as many people as possible as far up as possible to experience the nosie some of us are talking about. No way they could look at me with a straight face and tell me that's how it should sound.

I bet the cars in the test fleet don't sound like mine!!!!
Old May 17, 2003, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

I too agreee, I took my car through some twisties today and the noise kind of does slap you in the face when your off the throttle. When you on the throttle, i dont get that much moise, if hardly any. But as soon as i start feathering the throttle theres the noise.

We need to get Mitsu to get us a better working tranny thats for sure.....or at least diagnose and find the problem, because some don't get this whine at all!
Old May 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Oh make sure and tell us if the Redline does quite down the noise! pay attention to your gearbox too, i dont want to throw redline in if its going to be too slick for the box. In the WRX world, the OEM fluid was the way to go... others would make you grind worse!
Old May 17, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Redline fluids wear out bearings in DSM transmissions. And the shift quality sucks. I wouldn't use it.

BG Synchroshift II is a much better fluid.
Old May 17, 2003, 10:38 PM
ACM
Evolving Member

Ditto Josh's comments - Redline sucks in 2G DSMs !
So does BG V1...

Based on my experience, BG Synchroshift II or General Motors Synchromesh (if you change it every 15k) is the best.

Whether this applies to the USDM EVo trans, god only knows...

Charles Moss

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure