Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by boostedwrx
I too agreee, I took my car through some twisties today and the noise kind of does slap you in the face when your off the throttle. When you on the throttle, i dont get that much moise, if hardly any. But as soon as i start feathering the throttle theres the noise.

We need to get Mitsu to get us a better working tranny thats for sure.....or at least diagnose and find the problem, because some don't get this whine at all!
Hey man, I PM'd you and JTurbo my contact info, techline case number and vin. It may be time for us to start getting organised in hopes of getting a better response form
Old May 18, 2003, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Personally I think half the people are just paranoid.
Really though, the slight noise on decel is perfectly normal..just like Mitsu said. I understand some people do have legitimate tranny probs though such as rattling/grinding. My experience with strong trannys set up to handle more abuse/power is that they are typically noisier. Ever driven a car with a Tremec or T56?
Old May 18, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
Personally I think half the people are just paranoid.
Really though, the slight noise on decel is perfectly normal..just like Mitsu said. I understand some people do have legitimate tranny probs though such as rattling/grinding. My experience with strong trannys set up to handle more abuse/power is that they are typically noisier. Ever driven a car with a Tremec or T56?
No offense intended but go listen to my mp3 before you call it a slight noise, it's several pages back on the thread. Though some may be slight mine and several others are not. So even if only 25% of the folks posting have a ligitimate problem thats still quite a few unhappy new evo owners.

And I'm not claiming that the noise is eminating from the tranny, but it does only show up when the tranny is not loaded under acceleration, only under deceleration / neutral drive line load.
Old May 18, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mean everyone. Like I said, some have legitimate issues. I would really need to hear them in person to judge one way or the other though. I listened to your mp3 a while ago...if I remember right it was making more of a rattling noise...not a simple whining noise. Most people seem to complain of the "normal" whine noise.
Old May 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope, mine has the grinding/metal sounding under decel...
Old May 18, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

dunno though, performance and shifting is still fine.... it could still just be nature of the beast, but i want a mitsu engineer to actually listen to mine...
Old May 18, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have a date with the boys on wednesday as well. I guess the regional guy is bringing out the test ride my way too. I already have some redline waiting to go in the box. Does anyone know how the factory feels about redline? BTW, coming back from the lancer meet today i heard the noise in 5th gear decel as well, and I hadn't heard it that far up before. We'll see what they have to say. thanks for the pm Mad VIII !!
Old May 19, 2003, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

yea im ready to go back to the dealer again and tell them to bring out a rep to look at my car. One of the dealers I took it to (the tech works on DSM's and has a 1G w/water injection) wanted to replace my tranny because of the noises he heard from the oscilliscope. But told him that the noises where normal. They are NOT normal.

Mad VIII ill get you my info asap. My dealer has it. We need to all have a rep look at our cars. There HAS TO BE a bearing bad. Thats the only thing I believe. This is NOT gear whine, or gear chatter.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

I got past 6XX miles and began to put a little more stress on the engine. I did some decels through all gears from around 4500-1000 rpm and I downshifted from 5th to 4th and then 4th to 3rd just enough to bring the gears around 3800 rpm and the freakin noise wasy crazy loud. The nose does slap you in the face...It HAS to be a bearing...
Old May 19, 2003, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

How to check transmission and/or differential fluid levels?

Just curious if their are any dipsticks for this?
Thanks!
Old May 19, 2003, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I wish I knew, i feel like a bum for not reading up on it because I had the dealer do it..... I'll check my manual real quick...
Are you getting the decel grind? (not gear whine)
Old May 19, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
I didn't mean everyone. Like I said, some have legitimate issues. I would really need to hear them in person to judge one way or the other though. I listened to your mp3 a while ago...if I remember right it was making more of a rattling noise...not a simple whining noise. Most people seem to complain of the "normal" whine noise.
Yeah, not trying to ruffle any feathers so sorry if I sounded harsh.

Some of us do have issues, and some are just hearing the normal tranny noise. Problem is the engineers are calling ALL the noise complaints normal, which they are not.

The noise in my evo seems to caome from the far left (driver side) of the engine bay. They already replaced my tranny (or so they say, and i tend to agree cause the gearbox feels worse than before as in stiffer clunkier) to no avail. I'm tending to think this is either clutch related or center diff related.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spyderturbo
How to check transmission and/or differential fluid levels?

Just curious if their are any dipsticks for this?
Thanks!
No dipstick, just fill plugs (which are about halfway up the side of the casing) and drain plugs (which are on the underside of the housings). You can go get a free trial on www.mitsubi****echinfo.com and look it up in the manual.

I would reccomend though that you have the dealer do it so there are no questions about tampering if they do find metal bits in the fluid.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ricardon
I have a date with the boys on wednesday as well. I guess the regional guy is bringing out the test ride my way too. I already have some redline waiting to go in the box. Does anyone know how the factory feels about redline? BTW, coming back from the lancer meet today i heard the noise in 5th gear decel as well, and I hadn't heard it that far up before. We'll see what they have to say. thanks for the pm Mad VIII !!
No probem man, we need to be able to say look mr I know of four other specific cases just like mine and I know of hundreds of others who don't have this issue so I cannot be "normal".

Anyway, a couple pages back someone mentioned redline is no good for dsm trannys, they mentioned BG synchroshift II as being the **** for the dsm tranny. I would ask the dealer/rep what the magic fluid is.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

yeah...I'm also getting the decel noise. I definitely dont think its normal, but I'm also not too worried about it right now. It definitely sounds like a bearing in the clutch assembly to me. The transmission is perfectly fine in my car. I'm gonna wait until Mitsu comes out with a TSB for the problem. I just dont feel comfortable having a dealer tear my car apart to troubleshoot a problem which their probably not going to fix anyway.

There is no way these cars rolled off the line without mitsubishi knowing about this issue. Once they get a sure permenant fix for the problem...I'll definitely take it in.

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure