Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Old Apr 3, 2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
limey,

Thanks for the update. I hope this solves your noisy tranny, but more importantly I hope it fixes the metal in the fluid.

D
Old Apr 3, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Counting the moments.....I was still able to spank a 5.0gt mustang on the way to the dealer this morning...I teased for a while as he tried in vain to shake me in interstate traffic... ripped past at approx 145....he must have thought armagedon was upon him....I guess he will now revert back to making lots of noise outside Micky D's with his nascar camaro buddies
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:15 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

limey, I hope you did many 6K rpm clutch drops before you brought it in to be fixed.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

No....although of course this had crossed my mind....but they are only replacing the trans and the diff......not the clutch....this as you well know is not covered under warranty....I did however consider teaching the wife how to drive stick, that would have been perfect....but she was not interested, although looking at those pics of the black evo that rolled.....maybe it's best to keep wives and evolutions apart
Old Apr 7, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Hey peeps.....got my car back just now after having the trans replaced....problem solved.....fantastic to not have that noise anymore....cog box is still a little tight but thats expected.....apparently is chomping at the bit to get the old box back to find out source of problem...I hope it was just an isolated incident.....I want to say at this point how thoroghly impressed I am with my dealer, they did a fantastic job on the trans swap, did not try to hide anything ....took me back in the shop to show me aspects of the install....told me/and showed how much better designed and stronger the evo drivetrain was over the GSX Eclipse...best experience I have had with a repair shop....EVER.... if you are reading this...these guy's are your best..REWARD THEM.. IMO.....you know the dealership and you can contact me directly if you want because you sent the replacement last week

Last edited by limey; Apr 7, 2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Did any of you guys with the problem tranny get a sound clip of it before it was fixed? I get an intermittent grinding sound on deceleration and wondered if it was the same sound you guys were hearing. I might try and get a clip tomorrow on the way to work and post it.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wkehn
Did any of you guys with the problem tranny get a sound clip of it before it was fixed? I get an intermittent grinding sound on deceleration and wondered if it was the same sound you guys were hearing. I might try and get a clip tomorrow on the way to work and post it.
I get the same noise.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt worry, as Speedlimit mentioned, it has a warranty. Drive the machine to its fullest, if it craps out, let them fix it. Hell, its a "street-legal race car."
Old Apr 7, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah but when the see the BC, AFC, downpipe, intake, and exhaust I think my warranty is done.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by stvbreal

I get the same noise.
I took some movie footage on the way to work this morning but it's really hard to hear so I am not posting it, besides its 50 mb as well I can reproduce the problem regularly now by revving to 5000 in 3rd gear, decelerate and apply the lightest amount of throttle. It sounds like something metallic or grungy although I believe my '95 Talon does the same thing. I'll have to check it out when that car actually runs again
Old Apr 8, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wkehn

I took some movie footage on the way to work this morning but it's really hard to hear so I am not posting it, besides its 50 mb as well I can reproduce the problem regularly now by revving to 5000 in 3rd gear, decelerate and apply the lightest amount of throttle. It sounds like something metallic or grungy although I believe my '95 Talon does the same thing. I'll have to check it out when that car actually runs again
The noise has to do with the AWD. 2 diffs make a lot more noise.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah but when the see the BC, AFC, downpipe, intake, and exhaust I think my warranty is done.
That's the reason not to play with it until you know your safe. Now if something happens you have two choices.

One: Take all that uncessary stuff out and let them fix it. Dare I say don't tell them you had it apart.

Two: Bite the bullet and TRY to fix it yourself.

I'd go with #1 and enjoy the car for a bit before you hack it to pieces.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by limey
No....although of course this had crossed my mind....but they are only replacing the trans and the diff......not the clutch....this as you well know is not covered under warranty....I did however consider teaching the wife how to drive stick, that would have been perfect....but she was not interested, although looking at those pics of the black evo that rolled.....maybe it's best to keep wives and evolutions apart
If you don't mind answering a few question for me. Which diff did you have replaced? Was the diff also damaged along with the transmission? Was it replaced with a stock diff? Or was it the new front LSD that you mention earlier in this thread. If it was. What type did you get? Where was it source from?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

No diff ...I was dreaming about putting a ralliart front lsd in whilst the dealer had my trans apart....but I have since found out that the front and center diff are in thier own fluid so the dealer aparently did not get into that casing....He changed the oil in it though....If I had of done this I was saying it would have saved me lots on labor
Old Apr 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Well svt thats what has to go through your head each and every time you mod your car. It does with me. Do I want to put a Boost controller on my car, then have the tranny, turbo, or any other part of the drive train go bad. They could easyily say due to the increase in boost, it caused x,y,z to go bad and we will not replace it.

That gets to be very expensive, especailly when you have a brand new car with a long warrenty you just flushed down the crapper. I could not handle dishing out thousands of dollars to have somthing fixxed that could have been covered under warrenty. That would ruin any and all fun I would ever have with this car. Even if your sure a mod part is 100% safe and reliable, **** happens to any parts in your car. And can very well be denied by Mits. if you go modding it.

Before I do anything I will ask my Mits. dealer if this in anyway will effect my warrenty.
Once again I would be pissed off beyond belief if they told me because i put xyz on my car they wont, cant warrenty it.
It is very important for me to be in a comfort zone, without dealing with bs, calling Mits, sending letters, lawyers, suits, court, dicking around, ect.

Im just not willing to have this happen to me, and I very sure some of you in here will have to deal with it sooner or latter!
Then let me know if it was really worth it,,,,,,, I can promise you it wont be.

Now if Ralli-art does come out with an ecu, that if installed by a Mits. dealer will carry a full warrenty,,,,, sign me up,,,, Ill even pay $1500 for one. For one that puts my evo around 330hp.

Good luck all you modders out there, Im glad im not one!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failiure