Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No probs
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:27 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad everything worked out for you

Now i'm starting to believe they haulted production due to the trans and not the CF wing. They must of slipped one out.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have not even taken delivery of my car and they called me to tell me that there was a problem with the transmission. The tech told the salesman that he was having trouble getting the car into first gear. The salesman went back there and told me that when he was in the car and he put it into neutral and let out on the clutch the car wanted to roll forward. They talked to Mitsu and were told not to repair the tranny but to replace it completely. Ergo, I still don't have my damn car and am patiently (yeah right) waiting for them to receive and install the new transmission. Does kind of make the stomach queasy when a 30k car that you haven't yet paid for has to get a new transmission before you even see it. Never the less I will wait and I will purchase and hopefully I will not regret it and I will have a blast.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:37 PM

limey -
got my evo back from the dealer friday with the new trans - smooth and quiet - great warranty experience - btw, after i read that you were getting a new trans and posted that i was hearing the same noise, i called the dealer to see if i could get a new one too, instead of replaced bearings - when i gave my name i was told to hang on - the service manager wanted to talk to me - he got on and told me "we read THAT forum and so does , a new transmission is on it's way from japan - seems they want to keep the enthusiasts raving about the car - we are probably their best sales force - well, i'm raving again! - car is everything i hoped and the warranty is better than i could have asked for - i forgot to mention in my email that i like the 7 tails you have on your car - looks good in red! - enjoy
number13
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

shame I can't post ......can't resize picture...if someone would host I could......
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

This is to limey and number13....

limey, where are you from? I see that number13 is from NJ. I too am from NJ. Maybe it's a bad batch of cars? I do hear a whine from the transmission... have heard it since day 1. thought nothing of it. It's not getting louder, but it's definitely there. What kind of metallic sounds were you guys hearing? Also, which dealership did you guys bring your cars to?

I really hope I'm not having the same problems....
Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

A low speed whining noise is normal.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

I am also having the decel sound when I let off the gas pedal that has been mentioned previously. Sounds like a very slight grinding sound (though there's no vibration feeling accompanying the grinding sound). This has been happening since day 1 and I wasn't sure if this was out of the ordinary for this type of drivetrain and haven't worried about it too much, though it is the only thing that doesn't sound exactly right to me. I have experienced absolutely no adverse performance related to this sound, however. It seems thus far that this is becoming extremely common judging by how many people have described this same thing on this thread.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by limey
shame I can't post ......can't resize picture...if someone would host I could......
Feel free to email them to me - evo at jedinite dot com.

I can resize and host for you.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:43 PM

:(

Hey guys, i dont have my VIN handy, but im in Southern Cali and just picked up my Evo8 late last week. I drove it a lot over the weekend (to get it past the breakin), and noticed that around 600 miles it started making that grinding and whining sound between 5k and 3k RPM on decel, most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear. Im totally bummed now because it definately doesnt sound good Im setting up an appt with the dealer later this week.

Scott
Old Apr 29, 2003, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Ugh, I've been looking for this thread, and just haven't found it until now. I'm geting the same noise, and mine also didn't start until i had almost 700 miles on it. I thought that it was normal AWD drivetrain noise, but I only get the noise upon decel in 3rd and 4th gears only. No other gears. I'll be setting up an appointment tomorrow.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 01:03 PM

My appt is setup for this saturday. I have about 760 miles on the car now. Last night i drove around to find out exactly what gears mine made noise in. Like Ricardon, mine only makes it in 3rd and 4th gears, especially noisy in 4th gear. Stops at about 2500 RPM. Hard to tell at what RPM it starts, as engine is fairly noisy above 4000 RPM. Im so bummed out now
Old Apr 29, 2003, 02:06 PM

Ugh, have the same problem and finally saw this thread...so i called the guys at my dealership.

Omw there now

...how depressing
Old Apr 29, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Could one of you guys that has the noises record it for the rest of us?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by eternal9
Could one of you guys that has the noises record it for the rest of us?
No more noises ....they have fixed it.....sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failiure