Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Leak + misfire Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:11 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Boost Leak + misfire Symptoms?

Hi everybody,

I noticed a lot of threads on boost leak... preety common and I think that I am also in that trail. Looked around a bit but could not find any situation similar to mine. Some threads have half of the symptoms and were related to boost leak. Just want to confirm! Here is the story:

I installed a MBC and cone filter last night. Awesome! The car hitted 21 PSI after tweaking the MBC and the sound of the turbo spinning and BOV is now very noticeable. I tested the car and even ran with an M3 and I dust him like sand.

This morning, I was driving the car and all of the sudden the car stalled at high boost past 1 bar. I still had performance but it will stall and I think misfired at ~1.3 bar. After that, the boost gauge still recording 1.3-1.4 bar but no performance at all. It is like the feeling when you drop off the boost but all the freaking time. BTW, it is an EVO IX MR.

Any guidance or direction will be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might be a fuel cut.are you even tuned for it yet?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:42 AM
EvoM Moderator

Lightbulb

Huuum! No, I have not tuned it. I was planning to send the ECU to Al right after installing the mods. Good point!

My question now is... Does it affect the entire RPM band? I mean, it seems that I lost the entire power thru all the power band. Thanks for your update!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:51 AM
EvoM Moderator

Talking Fixed!

Fixed!

There was a small leak in the base used to connect the cone filter. That air was not registered correctly by the MAF. Damn.... I would never imagine that a small leak would impact dramatically the performance of the engine.

Lessons learn, check your work and re-check it before launching it to the streets/tracks. Thanks to evo_dadi for his advice! Much appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Mar 2, 2017)