Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broken balance shaft belt or spun bearing.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I saw NO copper shavings/chunks when i drained the oil, but here is the photos I took 1/2 hour ago, after the pan was removed!!
Did you pull the oil pan yourself

Sorry to see that. I wonder what caused that to happen...low oil level? You might have caught it early enough. Best of luck
Old May 9, 2006, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea that blows man. i am surprised that you didnt see a metallic tinge to the oil, you should have with a spun bearing. is the bearing fused to the crank?
Old May 9, 2006, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
Did you pull the oil pan yourself

Sorry to see that. I wonder what caused that to happen...low oil level? You might have caught it early enough. Best of luck
dont get me started . In my usual fashion, I pulled out 1/2 of the oilpan bolts in my garage, and couldn't get the Downpipe off, so I had it towed to the dealership. I re-thought when and how, and here is my conclusion. the oil was barely on the dipstick, and we went around some sharp turns (like Lombard street) in San Fran, that caused what little oil was there to slosh arould and cause the oil-starvation and the rod bearing issue. thanks for the wishing me luck, I will need it.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
yea that blows man. i am surprised that you didnt see a metallic tinge to the oil, you should have with a spun bearing. is the bearing fused to the crank?
I guess a "layer" of the bearing fused to the crank, thats what the mechanic is pulling away from the crank. I have photos of the oil, and there is NO tinge to it, nor any grit in it. thats what gave me the "false-hope" that is couldn't be a spun bearing.
Old May 9, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

that sucks. at least for diagnosing it over the internet....that part was right. a spun bearing.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I appreciate your help!!! Its off to an AMS stroker kit now!!
Old May 9, 2006, 09:28 AM
ROC

HELLS YA!!!!!!!!! go stroker
Old May 9, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
dont get me started . In my usual fashion, I pulled out 1/2 of the oilpan bolts in my garage, and couldn't get the Downpipe off, so I had it towed to the dealership. I re-thought when and how, and here is my conclusion. the oil was barely on the dipstick, and we went around some sharp turns (like Lombard street) in San Fran, that caused what little oil was there to slosh arould and cause the oil-starvation and the rod bearing issue. thanks for the wishing me luck, I will need it.
Yep that would cause a spun bearing. We had an SR20DET at one of our track days that was running low on oil on a very twisty track. He comes in the pits with rod knock. He got a spun bearing like you have.

Whoever changed your oil last forgot to refill the car. You mentioned that the car only had one quart of oil when you checked it after you heard the knock. I doubt that your car lost three quarts of oil since the oil change.

I would go to the place that changed the oil and tell them what happened and the damage that their geligence has caused.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
Yep that would cause a spun bearing. We had an SR20DET at one of our track days that was running low on oil on a very twisty track. He comes in the pits with rod knock. He got a spun bearing like you have.

Whoever changed your oil last forgot to refill the car. You mentioned that the car only had one quart of oil when you checked it after you heard the knock. I doubt that your car lost three quarts of oil since the oil change.

I would go to the place that changed the oil and tell them what happened and the damage that their geligence has caused.
Sorry to hear about your luck also bro!! I am rectifying it with the "BAD-DOERS", and will change my oil myself now!!