Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

OK to go from Synthetic tranny fluid to NON-Syn?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK to go from Synthetic tranny fluid to NON-Syn?

Just wanted to get some opinions... I put some synthetic tranny oil in and first impressions are not as favorable as stock. Im thinking about giving it a few hundred miles before I make my decision but will this only make the transition back to stock more difficult? I understand synthetic fluids fill all the tiny tiny pours of the metal, and I've heard to not go back to dino oil in the motor so what is it with transmissions? Should I get the fluid out right now for OEM or should I give it more time to bead in? I was hoping to make my 2nd gear grind and cold shifting a little better, but now Im getting locked out of 2nd more and my 6th gear is more difficult now. On the OEM fluid, at least everything was smooth once warmed up. Please help!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Also wanted to add that I used an exact equiv to the 6-speed requirements. I didnt want this to turn into a fluid thread but just FYI I used to Castrol Syntorq LT 75w85 GL-4 Synthetic. I just want to know what the best course of action for my tranny should be. (Yea I probably should of left well enough alone...)

Last edited by boostedwrx; Jun 19, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I think you should give the synthetic a chance. When I first switched to synthetic it took about 500 miles for me to see a true difference.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boostedwrx,

I would like to help you but you are limiting the answer by saying that you don't want to heard what works on other MR's.

I dragged my MR for well over 100 times/passes and since the 20-30 passes I use to miss gears often. This use to happen when reving the engine high. At one point other gears were difficult to engage in traffic during normal driving.

I put GM Shyncromesh and never had any issues ever ever. Shift smoother.

On the other hand, my Evo 9 5 speed tranny was notchy from day one, it was a biatch to engage to second gear and often it was hard to downshft from 5th to 4th to 3rd and so on. Again, GM Shyncromesh fixed all.

You might also want to consider Red line MTL. I hope that helps and sorry if I mentioned what work for me but it might save you big trouble down the road.

Carlos
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
I think you should give the synthetic a chance. When I first switched to synthetic it took about 500 miles for me to see a true difference.
Interesting... so maybe the oil needed to mate with the metal a little bit to take affect?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Boostedwrx,

I would like to help you but you are limiting the answer by saying that you don't want to heard what works on other MR's.

I dragged my MR for well over 100 times/passes and since the 20-30 passes I use to miss gears often. This use to happen when reving the engine high. At one point other gears were difficult to engage in traffic during normal driving.

I put GM Shyncromesh and never had any issues ever ever. Shift smoother.

On the other hand, my Evo 9 5 speed tranny was notchy from day one, it was a biatch to engage to second gear and often it was hard to downshft from 5th to 4th to 3rd and so on. Again, GM Shyncromesh fixed all.

You might also want to consider Red line MTL. I hope that helps and sorry if I mentioned what work for me but it might save you big trouble down the road.

Carlos
Sorry I just meant I didnt want this to become another "fluid thread." But thanks for telling me you had success with Syncromesh!

On OEM fluid I could rev the hell out of it and never grind a gear. Everything was pretty much perfect except for the 2nd gear grind when cold (which is why I wanted to try the Syntorq LT)

I'm just worried if I let the synthetic break into the metal, I will have a difficult time if I ever go back to conventional, non-syn OEM fluid. Like in 1000 miles, if the oil doesnt feel any better, I'll most likely want to go back to OEM fluid I just hope using synthetic for that 1000 miles didn't put me in a worse place than I orginal was. Who knows though, maybe in 1000 miles it will be better than OEM....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will be fine, it wont hurt switching back....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else? bump dity bump bump
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

One quick call to Shepherd Racing would give you the answer you need.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
One quick call to Shepherd Racing would give you the answer you need.
I wouldnt want to bug them really though... I hate calling someone who is busy 24/7
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Give the oil some time. Wanting to ditch the oil after 150 miles is premature.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

After 500 miles or so, the oil will definately be one with the metal. If I still dont like the shifting quality at that point, it will still be perfectly OK to go back to the OEM fluid and get my normal feel back?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I went from BG II to BG I on accident, but it has held up pretty well. I had no problems at the track. The only issue I have is that the fluid doesn't shift as well as BG II under hot conditions.