Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mail In Flash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say buy the cable and evoscan.

Then download ECUflash.

Tune it your self.

Otherwise your ECU will be locked and you will not be able to adjust your tune later. Without your orginal tuner tunning it again.

Just my .02.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Why are you against the Works flash warr I was strongly considering this for my car. I don't want any boost controllers and plan on just doing the tbe, drop in and a tune of some sort. Anything I should be aware of with the Works P2?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

i have a jestr tune and think that it is great. not a bad way to spend $50. but for those that have bad things to say about dynoflash....that's just going to happen. i got my tune from jestr because i never heard a bad thing about him and i did hear some bad stuff about dynoflash. i thought about it afterwards that any tuner is going to get bad feedback at sometime, nobody is perfect. i never read bad things about a jestr tune, but he is newer to the evo world. sooner or later some people will have bad things to say, that just happens. bottom line...both are great tuners, i just picked jestr because of the ease of eflash at the time.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go with Jestr, I have no experience, but I have seen people post a 40hp gain just off his mail in and never any complaints on his customer service or tuning abilities. But I do know one person who has had experience with both tuners mainly mentioned you may want to ask his opinion. His screen name is Keelpride.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MONSTARR
Don't get a flash that is the worst possible kind of tune you can get. How can you possibly think that your Evo will react to a tune the exact same way another Evo would? That's like going to a doctor and saying "Hey Doc, I have what that guy has, can you give me the exact same operation?"

Anyways, you tell Jestr the mods and car, he'll make a map up. Then, say if you have a wideband and evoscan, you can datalog and send him the results... if he sees something that should be changed, he will. (one time, after that, you need a "subscription" )
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nic411
i have a jestr tune and think that it is great. not a bad way to spend $50. .
$50...really?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't get a flash that is the worst possible kind of tune you can get. How can you possibly think that your Evo will react to a tune the exact same way another Evo would? That's like going to a doctor and saying "Hey Doc, I have what that guy has, can you give me the exact same operation?"
Are you running the stock ECU, piggyback or standalone because you are obviously against flashes.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
I definitely agree with you in principle. The old Z car guys would get the Jim Wolfe tune and 6 out of 10 were way off the mark. However, newer cars have much more resolution within the maps and the EVO is just so far off as far as AFR's that a basic tune can make a significant difference regardless if it is custom.

You are correct in that most cars will react differently, but a flash will provide a benefit vs stock.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've had dynoflashes and jestr's and i'm running the jestr map. if you're doing it with ecuflash through the email, they both offer one revision with logs you send. it's just a little bit easier to get great customer service through jestr. that's my only complaint about dynoflash, i think he has a bit too much on his plate and it's hard for him to respond in a timely manner sometimes.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 19.5PSI
$50...really?
yeah $50, just an e-mail flash to get you up and running. i still need to get a cusotm ($200)
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMS
Why are you against the Works flash warr I was strongly considering this for my car. I don't want any boost controllers and plan on just doing the tbe, drop in and a tune of some sort. Anything I should be aware of with the Works P2?
Well, first of all, it's ridiculously expensive. 2nd of all, did you think you HAD to use Works if you didn't want an MBC? I keep seeing people say this as if Works is the only one who can do this. EVERY tuner can do the flash so that you don't have to use an MBC. It's not quite the same as using an MBC, but they reduce taper within the ECU, and they use a modified boost hose (or restrictor pill removal) to RAISE boost. Works does nothing special, and there was some very nasty backlash recently when people started seeing the results of their Works flashes. There's a huge thread on it here and on another CA forum.

Anyway, you can go without an MBC with Dynoflash, Jestr, Vishnu, etc, but Dynoflash and Jestr are the affordable ones, and I think you should use an MBC anyway - no reason not to...
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot everyone for the input, I think I will go with the Jestr. But being new to the evo community (and not too smart), I don't have a clue how to do an ecuflash or anything like that, so I wouldn't be able to log anything and send in to them. But everyone seems to like Jestr, so I'll most likly go with them. I went to their site though and couldn't find a phone number anywhere to contact them. Anyone have their phone number?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

407 399 9713

Jestr tuning

Great guy, great customer service

my ecu went from Kuwait to the US and back to Kuwait in just 10 days!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yikez
407 399 9713

Jestr tuning

Great guy, great customer service

my ecu went from Kuwait to the US and back to Kuwait in just 10 days!

bro, Whats your name?

you the guy running the turboXS TBE?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Not sure if you had looked into Vishnu, but I've been very happy with my Vishnu mail-in flash (aside from the very high price). Fantastic improvement in power.