Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay intercooler testing from the Pros at Buschur Racing....the facts, the truth

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO8904
This is crazy, 18 pages... I think there should be a test between the AMS FMIC and it copy the Ebay FMIC. That would be a more fair test because the Ebay FMIC is not a copy of Buschur's Race FMIC....

Test the AMS against the Ebay Copy and put this to REST
There's someone else on the forums conducting a test at this time, and I don't see why dave would spend time to test someone elses FMIC.

People cried about testing, it's been done better than any out there and suddenly it's not good enough. I like totally can't understand why it didn't fare as well, I mean it LOOKS GOOD!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
There's someone else on the forums conducting a test at this time, and I don't see why dave would spend time to test someone elses FMIC.

People cried about testing, it's been done better than any out there and suddenly it's not good enough. I like totally can't understand why it didn't fare as well, I mean it LOOKS GOOD!
Yeah, the test with the Race FMIC looks good BUT the Ebay FMIC is NOT a copy of his Race FMIC..... The best test would be to test the Copy against the Original, just try to think about it..... But, thank you David for taking the time to do the test.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
You are correct, Dave even posted this that he would infact not post anything if it did make more power then his Race core.

I missed that post, but on a side note I do believe that he actually DID post that the ebay O2 housing was just as good as any other. So as far as being objective, thats some weight on his side.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by EVO8904
Yeah, the test with the Race FMIC looks good BUT the Ebay FMIC is NOT a copy of his Race FMIC..... The best test would be to test the Copy against the Original, just try to think about it..... But, thank you David for taking the time to do the test.
Yeah, like I said someone else is working on that right now. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

I can understand testing the e-bay copy vs the race, but supposedly there are numerous unnamed 600+whp hondas out there running them just fine so like they should totally be fine or something like that.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Yeah, like I said someone else is working on that right now. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

I can understand testing the e-bay copy vs the race, but supposedly there are numerous unnamed 600+whp hondas out there running them just fine so like they should totally be fine or something like that.
I just want to see a test like this one between the AMS and Ebay copy because then if the Ebay copy really sucks there won't be anything else to say about it.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
I missed that post, but on a side note I do believe that he actually DID post that the ebay O2 housing was just as good as any other. So as far as being objective, thats some weight on his side.
Post #25 of this thread.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Truth is, had the intercooler done really well, I would not have posted any of this information. Luckily for me it performed poorly in the cooling department.

Thank you and have a great day
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
The cycle of comments has reached a point were this thread is moving farther and farther off topic.

If you are going to post in this thread then ensure you comments are addressing the OP's topic. If not, your comments will be removed and warnings/points will be issued for taking a thread off topic. Take your sidebar discussions to PMs. Thanks.

Speedlimit..
Old Mar 31, 2007, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is Spec for Ebay intercooler Max only 500Hp, I wonder how this thing work below 500Hp compare to AMS?

Length 32"
Height 12.5"
Thickness 3.5"
Inlet 2.5"
Outlet 2.5"
Compress Air Flow Rate <600Cubic Feet/Min, Rated to ~500 Max HP
Working Pressure: 35~40PSI
Pressure Drop 2~5psi@35psi; 0.2~0.5psi@15psi
Hot Air Temperature 32癋~302癋 (0癈~150癈)
Material 100% Aluminum
Design Bar and Plate
Construction Machine Cut and Stamped, Hand Welded
Finish Polished
Net Weight 16 lbs
Works for Lance EVO VIII

Old Apr 4, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Did you do a test on the other eBay intercoolers also? I dont have an AMS copy and my air temps raise about 5-10 degrees. I have the intercooler that is like 24X12X4. I dont know about pressure drop but its working! I guess that 4inch core helps.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

As it has shown before. The Buschur unit does work VERY well. What Dave has shown was an Extreme Test showing what happens with HIGH boost and WHP levels. What he has also taught us is that a FMIC is NOT an FMIC. The innards is what makes dem dohickeys tick!

From what I have seen, the EBAY fmic is manufactured simply by having a wavy metal fin shaved into the Bar and Plate row and then simply snapped shut. From other pictures it has shown that a LOT of these fins simply do not touch the Bar and Plate row and therefore do NOT transfer heat. It is just shoved in there with no thought on heat transfer and proper fitment. The Buschur unit is a Garrett core, works 100% as advertised and has extensive testing smoothing out the balance of pressure drop and cooling. I can also guarantee each and every fin is making contact with the Bar and Plate housing it is in and properly disbursing heat. The fins have also been designed to allow for great heat transfer but not inhibit flow. This is a careful balance of give and take and no matter what you will have some pressure drop.

Ebay simply copies it the best they can and then throws it all together to make a reasonable facsimile. You guys are focusing on the actually product and how it looks. What you need to be doing is focusing on the actual intelligent design of the thing which most of you are not.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do have a comment to make..... EVERY SINGLE FRICKEN test DB does gets the same negative feedback and that is DAVE'S CAR IS NOT THE AVERAGE EVO.

BR has a large base of employees and customers with the average run of the mill evo..... ECUFlashed cammed EVO with bolt ons ...... Do the flipping test for the majority not the minority.

Honestly I dont care how a 600WHP completely tricked out EVO will do with an EBAY FMIC. Odds are if you are making 600whp you can afford to get the expensive **** right from the start.

If you read the forum there are a handful of richy rich EVO owners but the majority of us have large car payments, high insurance, and a preoccupation for going fast (within reason) on the cheap. For 95% of the people on this forum, spending $800+ on a FMIC is nuckin futs.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I do have a comment to make..... EVERY SINGLE FRICKEN test DB does gets the same negative feedback and that is DAVE'S CAR IS NOT THE AVERAGE EVO.

BR has a large base of employees and customers with the average run of the mill evo..... ECUFlashed cammed EVO with bolt ons ...... Do the flipping test for the majority not the minority.

Honestly I dont care how a 600WHP completely tricked out EVO will do with an EBAY FMIC. Odds are if you are making 600whp you can afford to get the expensive **** right from the start.

If you read the forum there are a handful of richy rich EVO owners but the majority of us have large car payments, high insurance, and a preoccupation for going fast (within reason) on the cheap. For 95% of the people on this forum, spending $800+ on a FMIC is nuckin futs.
This is also a good observation and needs to be addressed. I fall into this category. I also search for quality parts at extreme discounts or used parts as well to get my Evo on board. No need to buy new crap all the time. Many Evo owners simply MAX out their credit cards and then fail to keep up with their payments and then are forced to make crack head sales in order to avoid total losses. THIS is where I get my parts from
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
evilevo,

I think your thinking is backwards. If you are truly on a limited budget and want to modify your car I think it is all the more reason to buy the best part you can the first time. Most guys do NOT stop modifying their cars after Stage 1. They like to think that after Stage 1 that 100 hp gain is going to keep them happy but in reality it will not. So then they continue on. As the HP levels keep growing it is very easy to outgrow poorly engineered parts you have bought. Like buying a 2.5" exhaust in the beginnning and then realizing you really need a 3" a year later. Same goes for FMIC's, injectors, fuel pumps, turbo's etc.

It's much cheaper to build the car RIGHT the FIRST time than the 2nd-3rd-4th time.

I've invested probably $80,000 in my EVO since I bought it, that's if I figure out every part I have bought to put on, test, take off, replace, upgrade etc. I can duplicate the build the first time now for a customer for $26,000.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, 26,000. If I knew that when I first bought the car, I would have just done that and been done with it....

Just buy the buschur fmic....you will be better off in the long run.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just say no to Ebay!

Quick Reply: Ebay intercooler testing from the Pros at Buschur Racing....the facts, the truth