Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flywheel Removal Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel Removal Tricks?

I dont post unless Im stumped, and Im stumped. I pulled my motor out of the totaled 05 Evo today. I was actually suprised how smooth it went. Anyway I cant figure out a way to keep the flywheel stationary while removing the 7 bolts that attach it to the crank. Short of an Impact wrench or fabricaticating a tool out of bar stock to lock it out.

Any insight would be appreciated, there has to be some way of doing it that Im missing.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evoate ya
I dont post unless Im stumped, and Im stumped. I pulled my motor out of the totaled 05 Evo today. I was actually suprised how smooth it went. Anyway I cant figure out a way to keep the flywheel stationary while removing the 7 bolts that attach it to the crank. Short of an Impact wrench or fabricaticating a tool out of bar stock to lock it out.

Any insight would be appreciated, there has to be some way of doing it that Im missing.

Making a lockout bar is the recommended way, or you can put a wrench on the crank pulley and wedge it against the floor or something.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah, you listed both ways that I was going to recommend. Find a buddy with a impact, you'll be good to go.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
Making a lockout bar is the recommended way, or you can put a wrench on the crank pulley and wedge it against the floor or something.
Yeah, Im going to make something at work on monday, I will give the breakerbar on the floor off the crank pulley a shot though. I was so focused on the flywheel I neglected looking at the other end of the engine, lol. Thanks guys
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Either way make sure you get a tight fitting 6 point socket (preferably one that engages on the flats, not the points) and hold it on very firmly so you don't round off the corners and have to use "serious" measures to remove the flywheel bolts.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

i just got a small piece of flat stock drilled 2 holes in it and bolt it to one of the bellhousing bolt locations and one of the pressureplate bolt locations.... or worst case u can have someone or somthing hold the crank.... I have used a 1/2 breaker bar and a jackstand as well under the passenger side wheel well...