Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to get 400-450hp.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you Dave. And I guess there is no way to dial in the cams with a degree wheel etc when the engine is in situ.

Question for you though... did you ever encounter erratic performance with Revolvers apart from Evolutionaries case? Or did you ever find cars working better retarding the intake cam a lot?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
crcain, no I never had erratic performance with the Revolvers, that's why I was then and am now sure the problem with the car was not the cams. I also spent the better part of an entire day just dyno'ing the cars and trying different cams settings on both the intake and exhaust cam gears. Had the cams been off, as you say was the case with yours, it would have showed up as I degree'd them.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has... Um... Really exploded

I just got back from running the car at the Pony Express 130, I was in the 110 class which means I had to average 110mph over the distance with a maximum top speed I could do of 124mph (since I did not have my harnesses yet). The car was pretty much 100% stock drivetrain wise and did EXCELLENT. I have to say the car has a much better power band for this type of racing than the Subaru did. Even with 300awhp and supporting mods (intake, intercooler, exhaust), my STi never felt as solid at speed as the Evo does. The Evo feels much less strung out too.

I really want to do a EcuFlash and a EBC but I'm scared to start messing with tuning myself. I wonder if my tuning guys can do the EcuFlash...

Vostok 7
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The easiest way is with nitrous.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Originally Posted by Kc2Buk
NO Way,
DB's Da MAN!!!
His Evo Stage build-ups make perfect sense and his prices don't break the bank of a working evo owner. All the quotes you listed had me LMFAO
If you believe in it so much why don't you have a Stage?? package tuned by Buschur?
That's easy, Perry Papadopoulos from P.R.A. Solutions and Ross Esposito from RIPP Modifications are very good friends of mine, they have taken dam good care of all my cars to date, and the shop is about 40 mins away. Buschur is about 7 hours 52 mins away. I will be ordering my new BR FMIC later this month for now.
Next year BR's Stage 3 Cylinder Head, Ported / Jet Coated Exhaust Manifold, and 20G 9 Lt.
Thanks for asking,

Last edited by Kc2Buk; Aug 29, 2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
I hear you Dave. And I guess there is no way to dial in the cams with a degree wheel etc when the engine is in situ.

Question for you though... did you ever encounter erratic performance with Revolvers apart from Evolutionaries case? Or did you ever find cars working better retarding the intake cam a lot?
First question, if the cams are up to 22* off from published specs, then would your average adjustable cam gear be able to make up that much variation? If there are off that much moving the gear 5* one way or the other probably won't make much difference will it?

There have been several reports of the Revolvers not making the power they are capable of. Most of these reports came from west coast tuners early on when the revolvers first got popular. At the time I attributed it to tuner error and the tuner not knowing how to tune them properly because they were so radical. I believe now that it was simply a problem with the cams themselves.

Some found them to be extremely laggy on the low end. Some (as in my case) found they spooled the turbo extremely fast but hit a horsepower brick wall on the top end and would just not make any power above a certain level. Up to this level they worked awesome.

One reason I knew that it was cams is because of the discrepancies seen between 2 almost identical builds. Only differences were : AMS IC and C16 on my car, BR Race FMIC and E85 on the other car. My car spooled up over 1000 rpms faster than the other, but made 50whp less. No matter what we did my car would not make any more power. Also my car had a partial throttle surging issues that made it undriveable. That is because it would make 30psi @ 1/2 throttle at 4000rpms. Somehow the timing of the cams just lit the turbo off extremely hard and fast.

I was going to send the Revolvers to somewhere that could inspect them and see if they were improperly degreed or machined, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
This thread has... Um... Really exploded

I just got back from running the car at the Pony Express 130, I was in the 110 class which means I had to average 110mph over the distance with a maximum top speed I could do of 124mph (since I did not have my harnesses yet). The car was pretty much 100% stock drivetrain wise and did EXCELLENT. I have to say the car has a much better power band for this type of racing than the Subaru did. Even with 300awhp and supporting mods (intake, intercooler, exhaust), my STi never felt as solid at speed as the Evo does. The Evo feels much less strung out too.

I really want to do a EcuFlash and a EBC but I'm scared to start messing with tuning myself. I wonder if my tuning guys can do the EcuFlash...

Vostok 7
Congrats on the race. What was the road like? Tight twisties, big open sweepers, straight, etc??

Sorry for kind of jacking your thread, but I think you got some fairly good answers to your original question. After thinking it over and talking with my friends, I've come to realize that just telling people what parts to get is kind of a disservice. What we should be recommending to folks looking for recommendations is to pick your tuner first. Then use what they recommend.

If you are still trying to decide what parts to get to make your power goals, contact some different tuners directly, tell them your goals, and ask what they recommend you do to get there. If you talk with David Buschur, Tym Switzer, Martin @AMS, and Shiv @ Vishnu you will get 4 completely different suggestions. Then decide which one you like best based on what you heard from them and their reputation, and also what you believe and go with their suggestions. That's what I did. I talked with all of them, and more, and them came up with my own power package that has worked flawlessly.

BTW, I have always wanted to do the Silver State Classic open road race, but after seeing what happened to the orange Option Z with a blown tire I decided that I better wait until I have a full cage and can affort to replace the car if I destroy it!

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Aug 29, 2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the race. What was the road like? Tight twisties, big open sweepers, straight, etc??

Sorry for kind of jacking your thread, but I think you got some fairly good answers to your original question. After thinking it over and talking with my friends, I've come to realize that just telling people what parts to get is kind of a disservice. What we should be recommending to folks looking for recommendations is to pick your tuner first. Then use what they recommend.

If you are still trying to decide what parts to get to make your power goals, contact some different tuners directly, tell them your goals, and ask what they recommend you do to get there. Then decide which one you like best based on what you heard from them and their reputation, and go with their suggestions.

BTW, I have always wanted to do the Silver State Classic open road race, but after seeing what happened to the orange Option Z with a blown tire I decided that I better wait until I have a full cage and can affort to replace the car if I destroy it!

EVOlutionary
The Pony Express 130 is mostly straights with a pretty nice twisty section at the end. It's really a lot of fun (if you want to see the road, it's highway 305 from Battle Mountain, NV to Austin, NV).

The Silver State Classic is a lot of fun as well. Poor Inada-san has had nothing but bad luck at it, though . I've been doing it for about 4 years now and I love it.

Really, the only wrecks like that happen in the big dog classes where they're doing 200+mph. They're required to have all the safety equipment but the tires are almost always the problem. In fact, at the Pony Express we had a guy wreck in the 175 average, 200+mph maximum class. Fortunately they survived but it still happens. In the classes we run it's very rare to have wrecks, though, unless you're doing something very stupid or over driving your abilities or the cars setup.

Really excited for next year

Vostok 7
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I did the Silver State Classic in 1993 in my AWD Eagle Talon.............goes back to what we've done and how long we've been around. It was a GREAT time, we placed 3rd in the 110 mph class. I'd never done anything like that before, we drove the car STRAIGHT from work (my dad and I, he was my navigator) 37 hours, never ever shut the engine off, not once. Ran the race, drove down to Vegas and then straight home from there............The nicest trophy I have ever received was from that race, it is on my desk still today.

Anyway, evolutionary, I will kindly interject an answer. If the cams were off said 22 degrees, just degreeing them 5* such as you example said, would not fix the problem but it darn sure would show an improvement. In the case of your car, if you remember, I spent a lot of time moving the cam gears around and in the end the only thing that happened was we lost torque and gained nothing up top. I still do not think that was the problem......
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First question, if the cams are up to 22* off from published specs, then would your average adjustable cam gear be able to make up that much variation? If there are off that much moving the gear 5* one way or the other probably won't make much difference will it?
Camshafts spin at half the speed of the crank, so 5 degrees at the camshaft is 10 degrees at the crank. So no you could only make up less than half the way to 22.

A crank pulley per tooth accounts for about 7.5 degrees at the cam, so 15 at the crank. Therefore to make up 22 you'd move one tooth over, plus 3.5 degrees with the adjustable cam gears.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha damn op one more thread had to read through some bickering, heres my 0.02 bein i live in a hot climate too, most people made good suggestions as in parts to use, id say ditch the stock airbox get yourself an intake, now since your in hot climate, id look into a sealed airbox under hood, now ive seen some people run some "funnel hosing" from driverside air damn in front bumper up to that area, which would help keep underhood heat being able to heat up the air coming through your intercooler piping. you could also look at wrapping your ic piping, which will also aid in keeping the temp from climbing too much in nevadas heat. Also not for anything couldnt hurt to look into a water sprayer for the intercooler like the 03/04s have. Other then that that basic boltons others have mentioned should definitely help. As for hp differences most of the parts will be minimal increases from each other at best, considering you were saying you would stay on stock turbo for now. But good luck man give em hell.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
haha damn op one more thread had to read through some bickering, heres my 0.02 bein i live in a hot climate too, most people made good suggestions as in parts to use, id say ditch the stock airbox get yourself an intake, now since your in hot climate, id look into a sealed airbox under hood, now ive seen some people run some "funnel hosing" from driverside air damn in front bumper up to that area, which would help keep underhood heat being able to heat up the air coming through your intercooler piping. you could also look at wrapping your ic piping, which will also aid in keeping the temp from climbing too much in nevadas heat. Also not for anything couldnt hurt to look into a water sprayer for the intercooler like the 03/04s have. Other then that that basic boltons others have mentioned should definitely help. As for hp differences most of the parts will be minimal increases from each other at best, considering you were saying you would stay on stock turbo for now. But good luck man give em hell.
way to bump a 4 year old thread with old information im positive he has got it now since he has parted out his car since then
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha rockman thats one thing i need to learn brotha is to read when **** was posted, but when i see threads, that are at the top of each section then if ive got 0.02 to add then i add it, sometimes without realizin its 4 years old haha