Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 2.3L Stroker wonders is stock cams will bring in more low-mid range?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2.3L Stroker wonders if stock cams will bring in more low-mid range?

I have a 2005 EVO RS with many modifications listed below. I have a questions about cams.

-AMR Block Bored & Decked
-Crower Stroker 2.3L Blueprinted & Balenced
-Ross Pistons
-Crower 280/280 Cams
-Walbro 255 Feul Pump
-ARP Main Studs
-AMS 35r Turbo Kit w/ Tial 38mm Wastgate
-Tial BOV
-Cosworth Head
-AMS Intake Manifold
-AMS Feul Rails
-1000cc Injectors
-Perrin Front Mount
-AMR 3.5-4" Downpipe
-4" Exhaust
-SMC Meth Kit
-AEM Standalone
-Feul Regulator
-Adjustable Cam Gears
-3" AMR Air Intake

Thats about all I can think of off my head. What I am thinking of doing is putting the stock cams in the car to allow the car to idle a little more properly to give me more low -mid end power. Right now i have the crower 280 cams.

I have not dynoed the car since this motor set-up that has been built.

When the car was a 2.0L with all stock internals except cams with a 3" exhaust and some other minor mods. On race gas and no meth. I produced 456whp on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. I plan to make more, but run 93 octane with meth, NO RACE.

Regardless of that. I was curious of what you guys thought of me doing this. I believe it will idle better and give more low and mid range power, but i am unsure? So please any input is welcome. As are questions.

Let me know?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your idle shouldnt be that bad to the point you want to pull them..... try to track down another AEM tuner.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

why not just bump the idle up a little to like 1100 or so...
Old Sep 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Your idle problems are with your tune. Usually what you find is that cars with flashes have rough idle. With an AEM it should hum just like stock if tuned properly. Stick with the 280's and just get a good tuner and you will see the difference. If someone tell's you that they cannot get the idle smooth due to your "large" cam profile. They are lying or they do not have the knowledge on how to do so. All high HP evo's run AEM and most of them have a very smooth idle. I run 300 deg cams with crazy lift on AEM with no rough idle at all.

Your mods are geared more toward mid to high tq. look to your turbo selection when looking for earlier "ranged" power. Great mods though... what are you trying to do with the car???

Originally Posted by 05AMRRS
I have a 2005 EVO RS with many modifications listed below. I have a questions about cams.

-AMR Block Bored & Decked
-Crower Stroker 2.3L Blueprinted & Balenced
-Ross Pistons
-Crower 280/280 Cams
-Walbro 255 Feul Pump
-ARP Main Studs
-AMS 35r Turbo Kit w/ Tial 38mm Wastgate
-Tial BOV
-Cosworth Head
-AMS Intake Manifold
-AMS Feul Rails
-1000cc Injectors
-Perrin Front Mount
-AMR 3.5-4" Downpipe
-4" Exhaust
-SMC Meth Kit
-AEM Standalone
-Feul Regulator
-Adjustable Cam Gears
-3" AMR Air Intake

Thats about all I can think of off my head. What I am thinking of doing is putting the stock cams in the car to allow the car to idle a little more properly to give me more low -mid end power. Right now i have the crower 280 cams.

I have not dynoed the car since this motor set-up that has been built.

When the car was a 2.0L with all stock internals except cams with a 3" exhaust and some other minor mods. On race gas and no meth. I produced 456whp on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. I plan to make more, but run 93 octane with meth, NO RACE.

Regardless of that. I was curious of what you guys thought of me doing this. I believe it will idle better and give more low and mid range power, but i am unsure? So please any input is welcome. As are questions.

Let me know?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Your cam, and exhaust is why you have less low end torque.

The 280's move your powerband higher up, and your exhaust is to big, kills all your back pressure.

If you change the cams, try FP'3x or Crower 414's if they make them for Evos now. You shouldn't be looking for more torque on a 2.3 set up with a 35r, means your set up isn't working for you.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The Crower cams shouldn't be confused with HKS 280s. The Crower 280s have advanced LCs, and a tight LSA. They should generate considerable midrange potential installed straight up - far more so than HKS 280s. I don't know what cam gear settings you are using, but do not use the typical HKS settings - they won't work.

If you want more midrange, consider a retune, and also keep in mind that your turbo is a bit large for 'midrange' punch (a la stock sized turbos), even with the stroker.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

everyone is correct, its not your cams per say, its your tune and turbo choice. first things first, get a retune and then see how you feel about your power.
if that doesn't change how you feel i'd suggest switching to a FP Green or 50 trim since you'll be using meth.
maybe even picking up a set of adjustable cam gears and playing around on the dyno to find some midrange power. you'll lose some of your top end, but its always a trade off.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
He already has a adjustable cam gears, but my point is that Crowers come timed advanced and tight for big midrange. Because of this, the adjustable gears would be useful in reducing midrange in favor of more top end power, and not so useful for the other way around.

It could be an issue with the tune, or any of a dozen other possibilities, but a 35R isn't exactly a small turbo, even for a 2.3.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:24 AM

Yeah, i agree with all of you. I will probably keep the 280's and get a good tune on the AEM and see what happens. The idles ok. Just not exacly what i wanted, but tuning to should be the fix. As for the car. This car is being biult for daily driving and drag racing. So the top end is needed, which is what it was built for, i was just curious of what you guys thought about the cam idea to see if that would maybe bring in more low. But it was just a question and I appreciate it all guys. Thanks

Also, i do have a adjustable cam gears. I think my setup is good. So i wont mess with it.

Ill let you guys know whats happens with it when its put together.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know man, I used to have a 9.2:1 comp 2.4l stroker and I used to hit 32psi by 4400 rpm with a T4 .58 a/r 35r on an HKS mani, this was with Crower 414 cams. My new engine is 10.1:1 with BC 280's, not sure what its going to do but I'm tired of waiting. lol
Old Sep 4, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

If I had a fully built 2.3L, 35R, and EMS, I would go with the JUN 272s to really let that thing breath, especially with the Cosworth head, which can flow a lot of air. Midrange should not really be affected much. Idle should be fine with a GOOD AEM tune.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:49 PM

OK guys thanks so much..
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
I don't know man, I used to have a 9.2:1 comp 2.4l stroker and I used to hit 32psi by 4400 rpm with a T4 .58 a/r 35r on an HKS mani, this was with Crower 414 cams. My new engine is 10.1:1 with BC 280's, not sure what its going to do but I'm tired of waiting. lol

finally!!! someone with a setup like mine that has migrated to a high comp motor also!