Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

emissions question???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emissions question???

i need to have an emmisions test very soon. and i am wondering what i need to pass? i have a turbo back exhaust so my CEL is on, and i need it fixed. i have a cat converter, and if i just switch the test pipe for the cat converter will i pass emissions? do i need to mess around with anything else, like the the ECU. im new to this stuff and i just need your help.

thanks alot
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get rid of the cel and you pass... unless you disable something in the process and get caught..keep all the equipment and do it rt and you have no problems
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:12 PM

Put your Kitty Cat back on, clear the code, and youll be set!! Or you can try the Mechanical O2 simulator, ive seen that work and ive seen it not work too. But if you have your cat, just put it on, clear the code drive around for a few minutes and youll be good to go, Good luck!

Last edited by Slovo; Oct 16, 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

i believe if you reset the CEL too close to your emissions test they will not pass you. i believe there needs to be a few hundred miles on your car before it is ok to test.

i have a perrin high flow, and a CBRD flash a couple months before i got my emissions this year. i didn't have any CEL codes, but the mechanic that did the inspection made a point to ask me how long it had been since i had flashed my car, saying that the ecu needs time to relearn everything before the test is valid (not his exact words. i am paraphrasing, but more or less what he said).

as for your cat situation, you may be better off swapping in your stocker for inspection in case they get under and do a visual.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Not that it helps since you already have a test pipe. But the Ultimate racing test pipe works great and no cel. I passed emissions with it on my 8 and also my 9. 0 CELs from it
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I flashed my computer and had it smog tested less than 100 miles later and passed in CA where they also do the tailpipe sniffer. How long it takes the ECU to reset and be ready for a smog depends on the car. Some it will be 25 miles for others it might be 250 miles.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say if you put the cat back on and clear the CEL code you should be good. In dallas all they want to see is if you have the right parts on and no CEL light