Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finding water or gasoline mixing with oil in my catch cans. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding water or gasoline mixing with oil in my catch cans. Need Advice

Edit -its definitely water, not gasoline. I'm reviving this thread, because I still collect a lot of water -approximately 3 tablesspoons every 100 miles or so. I collect a lot more water on the drivers side catch can than I do on the passenger side. Also, I did a compression check (twice) and got 175 psi on all 4 cylinders, so I doubt its a blown HG.

Any ideas on what it could be?

--------------------------------------
I have two catch cans -one on each valve cover vent. I've had them on for over 6 months with no problems. They each acquire about 2-3 tablespoons of oil every 500 miles or so.

On Friday, I found some "chocolate milkshake" looking liquid inside my catch cans. The stuff wasn't there 2 days earlier -just regular oil. Its mostly comes out of the drivers side valve cover vent. But there's a little on passenger (pcv) side as well.

The first thing I thought was a blown head gasket. So I checked compression and got 160-170 on every cylinder (whew!). I changed the oil, and the stuff in the pan looked normal. I pulled out some coolant from the radiator -looked clear.

So it seems that I probably don't have a blown HG. But what is it then? The chocolate milkshake stuff sort of smells like gasoline -but how can that get into the valve covers?

Any ideas??

Last edited by TonyG; Jan 24, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

DC-3? It's normal and a combination of oil vapor and condensation from intake air or combustion byproducts. I've noticed it if I don't drain it for a few months.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well, it used to only collect oil. The gasoline/chocolate milk stuff just started a few days ago.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you been starting the car then turning off ignition before warm up?

When engine is turned off cold, the water vapor my condense in the catch and stay there. When engine warms up the water vapor wont condense and wont have a chance to get trapped

Not warming an engine up at start can rust the whole engine from inside out.

Now on the other hand, if small amounts of coolant finds it's way into the crankcase the water may not have a chance to emulsify with the oil (oil appears normal), the oil temps will fraction off the water and excess steam will condense and emulsify with the oil in the trap. Hopefully it's the former

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Oct 22, 2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm reviving this thread, because I still collect a lot of water -approximately 3 tablesspoons every 100 miles or so. I collect a lot more water on the drivers side catch can than I do on the passenger side.

Also, I did a compression check (twice) and got 175 psi on all 4 cylinders.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When gasoline is burned the combustion products are mostly carbon dioxide and water. Some products of combustion always leak past the rings and into the crankcase.