Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wiring question for SAFC-II

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help! the for SAFC-II won't come on!

OK, the harness came in Friday night. Today I started the cutting and splicing... Everything seems to be fairly clear except for a couple of details.
1. The knock sensor wire in the harness does not have pins!!?!
2. I've 3 wires left over that I dont know the use of.

The yellow, white and blue wires from the SAFC-II harness have no place indicated to go in the ECU harness.

---false alarm on the lack of pins , looks like they might just look differently depending on their use...--

Here is a picture of the Field harness extender with the SAFC-II harness wired to it. I'll post a few more pics of the ECU harness, etc. Please feel free to opine or advise.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for SAFC-II-extra-wires.jpg  

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jul 13, 2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a comparison of the Fields Harness and the ECU harness
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for SAFC-II-comparison-fields-car-wiring.jpg  
Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Look at all the wires.... I'll look at the ECU harness in a bit and make sure all is well.........
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for SAFC-II-ecu-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jul 13, 2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation HELP! the SAFC does not work!!

OK, I've hit a wall. I hooked up the spliced harness to the ECU. Everything feels good and the extender harness clicked right in and feels secure. I plugged in the SAFC and turned the ignition key until the bells ring, just before cranking starts....
Nothing!? What's going on? the SAFC does not come on, no screen, nothing. the button in the center does not respond to pressing it. Th SAFC is just like it was never hooked up to anything. I double checked all the connections at each end ant at the SAFC harness with a voltmeter. All the connections appear to be good and in the right place. What is going on??

here's a pic of the harness in place
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for SAFC-II-harness-place.jpg  
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Another picture of the field harness hooked to the ECU...
By the way, the car starts and runs fine (idling in place) with the harness extender in place, but I did not keep the SAFC in there when I started or ran the car...................

Any help?? Please??
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for SAFC-II-field-harness-ecu.jpg  
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like your grounds are merging into one wire then connecting to the fields harness. Is that true? If it is, fix that. The AFC is very picky about it's ground. I have installed several and that has gotten me a few times. I'll look some more and see if anything sticks out.

Does the car start at all? Is it just the AFC that doesn't work?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

If i remember correctly, one ground wire (brown) is supposed to be at least an inch closer to the ecu than the black. If you put the two together it won't work at all.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by instigator
It looks like your grounds are merging into one wire then connecting to the fields harness. Is that true? If it is, fix that. The AFC is very picky about it's ground. I have installed several and that has gotten me a few times. I'll look some more and see if anything sticks out.

Does the car start at all? Is it just the AFC that doesn't work?
Yeah, the car started and ran fine, it's just that the SAFC2 would not light up....Anyway, I got the problem solved. It looks like I wired it backwards, duh! Anyway, I got it working fine and now I have to work on the settings....

Originally posted by uranium9v
If i remember correctly, one ground wire (brown) is supposed to be at least an inch closer to the ecu than the black. If you put the two together it won't work at all.
Yes, I saw the instructions of the SAFC1 and rewired it with the brown wire closer to the ECU and with the black wire 1cm away from the other one. Right now, everything seems to light up and all, but I cannot get the monitor rpm reading to synchronize with the tach.... The closest readings come from the car select at 2 cyl with the arrow up.... I'm a bit worried about running with it on yet because I'm just not sure the settings are safe if the rpm do not match.... Any ideas?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

could you post the pin numbers you tapped for each thing like RPM? Throttle ect.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by apursell
could you post the pin numbers you tapped for each thing like RPM? Throttle ect.
Sure, it seems to work OK now (well, kinda...),

Power (red)----pin 25
ground (brown)----pin 26
ground (black)-----pin 26
RPM (green)-----pin 88
TPS (grey)------pin 84
Air flow signal out (pink)----pin 90 (close to ECU)
Air flow signal in (orange)------pin 90 (away from ECU)
Knock sensor (purple)------pin 78

I looked at everything several times and counted the pins also. Of course, I could have still made a mistake..... (I did wire it backwards the first time ) Anyway, I'll probably check everything out again to make sure, but I think the wiring is correct... I was told by someone at AMS that the tach could be off... My son told me that his tach was off in his Prelude when compared with the Fields Vtec/AFC....

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jul 17, 2003 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

ok I gots to know where you got you extension harness for your ECU! Please email me the address and cost. tvanhorn@direcway.com
Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GTVEVO
ok I gots to know where you got you extension harness for your ECU! Please email me the address and cost. tvanhorn@direcway.com
Z1 performance is where I got mine. I think also www.skunk2.com seems to have them. I can't remember the exact cost but it was around $154..... A little steep, but well worth it if you don't want to cut your stock wiring....
Old Sep 13, 2003, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Are the airflow wires the only wires you actually cut? And the other wires are just "tapped"? Like how exactly are we supposed to "tap" the power and ground wires? O_o
Old Sep 13, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zstryder
Are the airflow wires the only wires you actually cut? And the other wires are just "tapped"? Like how exactly are we supposed to "tap" the power and ground wires? O_o
You peel off a little of the insulation and make a splice..... That's what i did....
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Hi,

I just got my SAFCII last night, but I'm still waiting for my Fields harness (on order from Z1). I'm trying to collect all the info I need to install.

This one of the best posts I've found with actual pics of the wiring.

Few questions please:

Are the wires "backwards" in the pics, or have they been corrected? Also, did you determine that you do not need to do anything with the yellow, white, and blue wires?

Mine came with english instructions, and I skimmed them, but just want as much info as possible.

I compared your pins below:

Power (red)----pin 25
ground (brown)----pin 26
ground (black)-----pin 26
RPM (green)-----pin 88
TPS (grey)------pin 84
Air flow signal out (pink)----pin 90 (close to ECU)
Air flow signal in (orange)------pin 90 (away from ECU)
Knock sensor (purple)------pin 78
With this diagram:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm

And everything matches up nicely except that the RPM (green) is listed as 88 here and 88 in the diagram is the Camshaft Position Sensor Signal? Is that the right one?

As for setting it up, I know it's a Karman, but I've read posts that it should be 2 cyl or 4 cyl to get accurate rpm?

Sorry for all of the questions, but any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FB

Quick Reply: Wiring question for SAFC-II